Kids are sick!

tmc576
tmc576 Member Posts: 60 Member
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
Hi - Anyone have young children who live in the same house as your "patient"? I have three, and my 3 year old has an ear infection and an upper respiratory thing going on. coughing like crazy. I can't keep my mom away from her! Everytime I turn my back, my mom is holding her, trying to take care of her. At my daughters age, I can't keep her in her room at all times. My mom sleeps on the couch, because she cannot go up and down stairs.

I keep telling my mom that she is on oxygen already, she does not need an upper respiratory infection. She wont wear a mask. She's not doing chemo yet, so her immune system is probably ok, but how do i handle this in the future?

Hopefully one day I can offer some advice to you guys instead of just asking for it!

Tracey

Comments

• webozo
    webozo Member Posts: 82 Member
    kids
    her doctors will tell you how at risk she is, but i know with my daughter her children are the only kids she can be around and when one gets sick she must wear a mask and wash her hands all the time she uses bleach wipes on counter tops and surfaces that the kids touch. she dose not handle their toys and they have made it a habbit to take out the trash a couple time a day so that any and all tissues go out. she uses one bathroom in the house and no one else uses it. that is for her as well as them her chemo sweat could be toxic to the rest of her family and she sweats alot. it was hard for her becaused she can not hold her children when she is sweating and if the are really sick more than just a light cold she has to limit the contact. i don't know if any of this has helped but this is what they have done and it has worked for them
  • Barbara53
    Barbara53 Member Posts: 652
    grandkids
    What a difficult situation. On the other hand, if your Mom needs hope, she will find it in her grandchildren. I don't mean to sound grim, but if she caught something from cuddling her grandbaby, she would probably consider that more honorable suffering than that crummy old cancer.
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Barbara53 said:

grandkids
    What a difficult situation. On the other hand, if your Mom needs hope, she will find it in her grandchildren. I don't mean to sound grim, but if she caught something from cuddling her grandbaby, she would probably consider that more honorable suffering than that crummy old cancer.

Sick Kids
    Hi TMC
    I wanted to tell you this to put your mind at rest hopefully. Once your daughter has been on the antibiotics, I am hoping the dr put her on.....she will not be contagious after 24 hours. Meanwhile though, mom should wear a mask and wash hands often. Our parents do become our children as they age!!
    Hang tuff. Peace to you.
    Tina
  • tmc576

Sick Kids
    Hi TMC
    I wanted to tell you this to put your mind at rest hopefully. Once your daughter has been on the antibiotics, I am hoping the dr put her on.....she will not be contagious after 24 hours. Meanwhile though, mom should wear a mask and wash hands often. Our parents do become our children as they age!!
    Hang tuff. Peace to you.
    Tina

Well, now my son is coughing
    Well, now my son is coughing as much as my daughter. She is on an antibiotic, but my son had finished his a week ago. I guess this is something new. Probably back to the drs. Talking my mom into wearing a mask is going to be a tough one. She is already having trouble breathing, and the mask makes her feel like she is suffocating. i know that she is not, but she has horrible panic attacks about anything related to her breathing.

She just called me down to get her a drink, and I told her "everyone says you really need to wear a mask" Her response was "I am not wearing no d$%m mask"

Thanks for making my stress level higher,Mom! :)
  • Tina Blondek
    tmc576 said:

Well, now my son is coughing
    Well, now my son is coughing as much as my daughter. She is on an antibiotic, but my son had finished his a week ago. I guess this is something new. Probably back to the drs. Talking my mom into wearing a mask is going to be a tough one. She is already having trouble breathing, and the mask makes her feel like she is suffocating. i know that she is not, but she has horrible panic attacks about anything related to her breathing.

She just called me down to get her a drink, and I told her "everyone says you really need to wear a mask" Her response was "I am not wearing no d$%m mask"

Thanks for making my stress level higher,Mom! :)

God Bless You
    Oh TMC,
    I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I actually got a good laugh out of mom's response to the mask! Typical, stubborn, old school, mom! Ok mom.....forget the mask...how about staying as far away from the grand kids as possible? Maybe? Please? Geez! I do not envy you one bit TMC. Best of luck!
    Let us know what tomorrow brings!
    Tina
  • tmc576

God Bless You
    Oh TMC,
    I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I actually got a good laugh out of mom's response to the mask! Typical, stubborn, old school, mom! Ok mom.....forget the mask...how about staying as far away from the grand kids as possible? Maybe? Please? Geez! I do not envy you one bit TMC. Best of luck!
    Let us know what tomorrow brings!
    Tina

Glad I gave you a laugh.
    Glad I gave you a laugh. Sometimes I gotta laugh or I'm going to cry. Always a roller coaster in my house - 3 kids, 1 sick mom, 1 wonderful hubbie, a dog with skin allergies - poor pathethic thing! Never know what tomorrows going to bring, but we usually fit in a couple of laughs during the day! If only I could fit in a couple more hours! Did I mention I have to fit in work too, and both of my boys play baseball, and my oldest stays after school 2x's a week and needs to be picked up(20min away), my daughter hates daycare - she wants her grandmom to watch her, I'm having a nervous breakdown, I'm not sure how that turned into a rant.....hmmm

Tracey
  • Tina Blondek
    tmc576 said:

Glad I gave you a laugh.
    Glad I gave you a laugh. Sometimes I gotta laugh or I'm going to cry. Always a roller coaster in my house - 3 kids, 1 sick mom, 1 wonderful hubbie, a dog with skin allergies - poor pathethic thing! Never know what tomorrows going to bring, but we usually fit in a couple of laughs during the day! If only I could fit in a couple more hours! Did I mention I have to fit in work too, and both of my boys play baseball, and my oldest stays after school 2x's a week and needs to be picked up(20min away), my daughter hates daycare - she wants her grandmom to watch her, I'm having a nervous breakdown, I'm not sure how that turned into a rant.....hmmm

Tracey

One Day At A Time Sweet Jesus!
    Hey Tracey,
    I know what you mean. I would much rather laugh than cry most days. My goodness, you do have quite a handful! Thank God for your wonderful husband! And the dog....awww...we had a dog with skin allergies once, the best treatment we found was putting her on monthly flea preventative treatments. Worked like a charm! She was allergic to the flea saliva. Ewww nasty fleas. Your daughter will just have to get used to daycare! She should be fine with it....eventually! Hope this day finds you better! Say hello to mom!
    Peace to all of you.
    Tina