Asparagus????

Tess923
Tess923 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
Has anyone ever heard of using purreed cooked asparagus as a Treatment in addition to chemo and rads? Sounds harmless enough,(2 teaspoons of the purree in the am and two in the pm) , but has anyone tried it? I received an article via email from a friend and just thought I'd ask.

Comments

• GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188
    Never heard
    Never heard that but I think I would rather have it steamed or pan roasted with almond slivers than purreed.
    I will eat enough of the purreed foods after my kids have me committed to the old farts home. LOL
    Asparagus is a great source of vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber (especially the ends that most people snap off and toss in the trash), purreeing wouldnt make a difference I wouldnt think.
  • grandmafay
    grandmafay Member Posts: 1,633 Member
    Many suggestions
    There are all kinds of suggestions out there for cancer patients. Things to eat or not eat. I would suggest that you check with the oncologist to be sure it won't interfere with chemo. Somethings do. We were told to try broccoli pills. There is one government study that is somewhat positive about broccoli. My husband took them for awhile. Then he stopped. Who knows? Just know that you may get a lot of advice about different cures, etc. Fay
  • augigi
    augigi Member Posts: 89

Many suggestions
    There are all kinds of suggestions out there for cancer patients. Things to eat or not eat. I would suggest that you check with the oncologist to be sure it won't interfere with chemo. Somethings do. We were told to try broccoli pills. There is one government study that is somewhat positive about broccoli. My husband took them for awhile. Then he stopped. Who knows? Just know that you may get a lot of advice about different cures, etc. Fay

Looks like a
    Looks like a hoax.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/medical/a/asparagus_cancer.htm
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Puree
    Maybe they are referring to "juicing". Be careful if you do "juicing" some get sick to their stomach and throw up. Need to start out slowly. If you are on chemo, watch what you take. For example, people will tell you to eat "high antioxident" foods" helps strengthen cells, well, what do you think it will do to your cancer cells? Our onc said no "high antioxident" or any supplements whatsoever no green tea. Juicing, I have never discussed that with him. Someone on the colon board started jucing, went into it full force, didn't ease into it, ended up sick as a dog and throwing up. Just be careful.

Take care - Tina