Concerned about pelvic ultrasound report

Options
etk02038
etk02038 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I was dx with breast ca in Jan. stage 1 no lymph node involvement and just finished radiation. I had been having a lot of pelvic problems-bloating, severe pain, constipation, diarrhea, nausea. So before starting Tamoxifen for the br ca I had a pelvic ultrasound. The results concern me. I have a right enlarged ovary which is 10 times the size of the normal left one. Also 2 complex cysts. Cyst 1 states "septation vs 2 simple cysts side by side" Cyst 2 low level echos. The report also state "small pocket free fluid seen superior to uterus". I am not sure how concerned I should be but I see my Breast Oncologist Monday. I am hoping she will have some insight on this for me.

I would appreciate any feedback others may have.

Ellen

Comments

• Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    I would ask a Gyn/Oncologist
    I would ask a Gyn/Oncologist to read the report. Your symptoms are consistent with those of ovarian cancer, but they are consistent with many other things too.

Carlene
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I've thought about this a lot.
    You don't mention your age or whether you are finished childbearing. But I know that if I had ER+ / PT+ breast cancer and was NED after my initial treatment protocol, I would have a preemptive Da Vinci hysterectomy, and take the tamoxifen 5 years to prevent recurrence. A hysterectomy is not something your oncologist is likely to recommend, but on the Uterine Cancer Discussion Board of this website, you will find several women posting that took tamoxifen for breast cancer and ended up with a very aggressive form of uterine cancer.

And yet, if I knew I could take a pill like tamoxifen that would very likely keep my cancer from coming back for at least 5 years, I'd take it in a heartbeat! But I'd have the hysterectomy before I took it. The Da Vinci (robotic) hysterectomy isn't as invasive as the open-abdominal type of hysterctomy and you heal up much faster and are in the hospital usually no more than 2 nights. And it sounds like you could get it covered by your insurance with the results of that scan. (((Hugs))).
  • vicki_howard
    vicki_howard Member Posts: 15
    Options

I've thought about this a lot.
    You don't mention your age or whether you are finished childbearing. But I know that if I had ER+ / PT+ breast cancer and was NED after my initial treatment protocol, I would have a preemptive Da Vinci hysterectomy, and take the tamoxifen 5 years to prevent recurrence. A hysterectomy is not something your oncologist is likely to recommend, but on the Uterine Cancer Discussion Board of this website, you will find several women posting that took tamoxifen for breast cancer and ended up with a very aggressive form of uterine cancer.

And yet, if I knew I could take a pill like tamoxifen that would very likely keep my cancer from coming back for at least 5 years, I'd take it in a heartbeat! But I'd have the hysterectomy before I took it. The Da Vinci (robotic) hysterectomy isn't as invasive as the open-abdominal type of hysterctomy and you heal up much faster and are in the hospital usually no more than 2 nights. And it sounds like you could get it covered by your insurance with the results of that scan. (((Hugs))).

i did the voluntary hysterectomy after breast cancer
    Hello there,
    6.5 yrs ago I had breast cancer, chemo, lumpectomy /sentinal node biopsy(positive nodes) and Xeloda pills and Radiation. I went aggressive as I was 40 yrs old. I also had a Vaginal total hysterectomy. I was on the couch about 1 week. I healed really quickly and feel good now and AM CANCER FREE. I did 5 yrs of tamoxofin and now am taking Femera. I hope yours is ok, but I really felt a connection b/n the 2 forms of cancer. (Ironically my mom has been diagnosed with breast 0 stage and Ovarian stage 4 within the last month. She is 68 yrs young.)
    vicki
  • zinaida
    zinaida Member Posts: 221
    Options
    Please, do not wait for
    Please, do not wait for breast doctor opinion, make appoitment with gen\oncologist ASAP.I have breast cancer and ovarian cancer. Believe me, breast cancer doctor not will be helper with ovary problem. only genicologist oncologist will take care of it. Good luck, with best wishes, Zina.
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Dear Ellen,
    You have received some good advice already, I just want to also encourage you to see an gyn/onc ASAP, along with the breast guy.
    Take care,
    kathleen
  • etk02038
    etk02038 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    kayandok said:

Dear Ellen,
    You have received some good advice already, I just want to also encourage you to see an gyn/onc ASAP, along with the breast guy.
    Take care,
    kathleen

Thank you for all your
    Thank you for all your responses. I have started searching for a gyn/oncologist. I am seeing a breast oncologist at Dana Farber monday so I hope she will help set up an appt. with a gyn/onc there. If she doesn't feel that is needed I will do it myself, I am pretty sure she will agree though. I am ready to have my ovaries and uterus out-1 type of cancer is enough for me! If I get my ovaries out I may not need tamoxifen. Once the ovaries are gone there are alternative medications to tamoxifen to take. That is my understanding anyways.

Again, thank you for all your help!