Not Such Good News

Options
Lisa13Q
Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Spot on Liver....not in it...on it....whats the difference? I totally didn't understand what the doctor was saying...She does not want to do chemo just wants to watch it as concerned that chemo would be too rough on my mother right now...wants Mom to have quality of life and since the cancer isn't causing any problems, leave it alone.....don't treat until it causes problems so Mom can enjoy her daily living.........Mom crying.....I am totally upset...don't know why...I know how this disease works it's magic...surprisingly, my sister under control more than me...she's usually the really upset one....Sorry to deliver bad news...I always want to try to be uplifting....

Comments

• Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Lisa...I am so sorry. I
    Lisa...I am so sorry. I don't remember how old your mom is or if she has other health issues, but mets to the liver, especially on the surface of the liver, are sometimes treated by radio frequency ablation - a very non-invasive treatment with good success rates. You might consider a second opinion, perhaps consult an oncologist who treats more than just Gyn cancer.

Quality of life is everything. Did your mom tolerate the chemo well, or did it make her sick and miserable? That's a huge consideration, in my opinion. I had a sister-in-law who had very advanced lung cancer. She refused treatment for the last 6-8 months of her life because the chemo made her feel worse than the disease, and there was no chance of stopping it; they were just trying to hold off the inevitable.

Our family's gastro doctor even advises no more colonoscopies for very elderly patients. When my mother-in-law passed 85 years of age, he said, "Why put her through it? If she gets colon cancer, chances are the treatment would be harder on her than the disease. Sometimes it's just better to do nothing."

Carlene
  • Lisa13Q
    Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
    Options

Lisa...I am so sorry. I
    Lisa...I am so sorry. I don't remember how old your mom is or if she has other health issues, but mets to the liver, especially on the surface of the liver, are sometimes treated by radio frequency ablation - a very non-invasive treatment with good success rates. You might consider a second opinion, perhaps consult an oncologist who treats more than just Gyn cancer.

Quality of life is everything. Did your mom tolerate the chemo well, or did it make her sick and miserable? That's a huge consideration, in my opinion. I had a sister-in-law who had very advanced lung cancer. She refused treatment for the last 6-8 months of her life because the chemo made her feel worse than the disease, and there was no chance of stopping it; they were just trying to hold off the inevitable.

Our family's gastro doctor even advises no more colonoscopies for very elderly patients. When my mother-in-law passed 85 years of age, he said, "Why put her through it? If she gets colon cancer, chances are the treatment would be harder on her than the disease. Sometimes it's just better to do nothing."

Carlene

Thanks so much
    I need to talk to someone....where cann I find phone numbers on this board?
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    treatment
    Some doctors wait until you are symptomatic before restarting treatment. Maybe that is why most only do a ct and not a pet/ct to monitor for recurrence...I don't know. They do say early treatment of recurrence does not improve life expectancy. Furthermore, I read that women who wait to be treated have a better quality of life than those who are treated earlier. Better quality of life because they are not having chemo and the stress that goes along with it. I had a spot on my liver when I was first diagnosed. It went away after the inital chemo and has not come back.

Do not feel the need to apologize!!! Sheesh! I do believe we will all...or most of us anyhow...will be walking down that same road eventually. Some of us sooner then others. Know what helps me when I start feeling sorry for myself.....I try looking at the 'big picture' I've had a good life. I think of the kids with cancer. I think of the atrocities in the world and I think of how lucky I've been. It may so corny and may not bring your comfort right now but...heck...I'm 43yrs old and I have two kids under 7yrs old. Thinking about the 'big picture' helps me from spiraling into a depression and makes me feel grateful for having been blessed in my life....talking to a therapist helps too!!!
    Best of luck to Mom and the family. Keep us updated!!!
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Lisa13Q said:

Thanks so much

numbers
    Someone had given me a number where you can talk to social workers on the phone. I can't locate it right now. If you want I can give you my number...dont' know how much help I can be though!!

I added my email and my facebook name on my csn profile. Please contact me if you want to talk. I hate to think of you....or anyone...in such despair.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Lisa13Q said:

Thanks so much

Sent you a message via the
    Sent you a message via the CSN Email.

Carlene
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    So sorry
    Lisa! It is not uncommon to have a spot on the liver and for it to just stay there for years. Ovarian cancer spreads like spray paint and initially just attaches to an organ, but doesn't invade it. That is the way it was explained to me. I have a spot on my liver that has been there for 2 years or so. it doesn't get any bigger or smaller. It is 3 or 4 mm. This OvCA thing is so confusing and so different for each of us and then you factor in all the doctor's personalities and experiences, it is flat out confusing. I understand your frustration and have been there many times.

Sending lot's of prayers and hugs for you and your mom today,
    kathleen:)
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Lesions
    Hi Lisa, just wanted to share I have had several lesions on my liver for quite a few years. Never have invaded into my liver and have taken breaks ~ infact still cannot do chemo as my bone marrow is still not working. Sometimes our bodies tell us we need a break whether we want or not. Sending lots of prayers n hugs your way. Bonnie
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    BonnieR said:

Lesions
    Hi Lisa, just wanted to share I have had several lesions on my liver for quite a few years. Never have invaded into my liver and have taken breaks ~ infact still cannot do chemo as my bone marrow is still not working. Sometimes our bodies tell us we need a break whether we want or not. Sending lots of prayers n hugs your way. Bonnie

Hi Bonnie
    Sorry you cannot take chemo at the moment. It must be a blow for you. It is true, our bodies are very good at telling us when they are tired. Just rest and take it easy and soon you will be feeling well enough to get back on track.

Much love Tina xx