The Whole Lemon Drink

shortmarge
shortmarge Member Posts: 291
edited March 2014 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1
I wanted to try this for my neuropathy. I only use the lemon and water and put in some stevia for sweetness. I’m going to put in my fresh ginger tonight, which will prove to be interesting. I’ve been drinking it before I go to bed and I am not waking up like I have been. Believe it or not I have dropped 2 pounds already and my feet are feeling better. I also heard it is good to clean out the lymph nodes. Strange but if it works…

The Whole Lemon Drink is a recipe that was shared with me by my esteemed colleague and author, Peter De Ruyter. I have used it for various areas of health with excellent results (including and not limited only to digestion and digestive system function).
It’s simple and it tastes great. For improved health and digestion, all you have to do is drink it twice daily.

The Whole Lemon Drink is ideal for:
• Detoxification
• Enhanced immune function
• Liver health
• Assisting with hormonal balance
• Nourishing and strengthening cells and cell membranes
• Improving and normalising digestive health
Some of the benefits of the Whole Lemon Drink (observed in over 20 years of clinical practice):
• It decreases blood acidity and alkalises the system – despite lemon juice being acidic;
• The oils provide essential fatty acids that boost immune function, benefit cell integrity, and improve skin health (resolving dryness), etc;
• The D-limonene in the lemon peel has anti-cancer properties;
• The pectin in the lemon helps to emulsify oils and chelate toxins from the bowel
• Lemon peel contains oligomeric proanthocyanidins (OPCs) – powerful antioxidants with antihistamine effects;
• Lecithin acts on healing and detoxifying the liver (it’s wonderful to address fatty liver) and nervous system (peripheral neuropathy) as well as the kidneys and brain, and enhances fat absorption;
• Lecithin helps normalise cholesterol and triglycerides;
• The choline in the lecithin and the oils in the citrus skin glands help liver detoxification pathways to work more effectively;
• The drink helps decrease swollen glands, increases energy, as well as lift depression and anxiety;
• It helps with insomnia and increases the appetite (only when it is poor);
• It assists in weight normalisation;
• It frequently raises CD4 cell counts (fighting cells of the immune system);
• It helps to decrease tumour necrosis factor (TNF), inflammation and wasting;

One amazing brew - cheap, simple, safe, and effective!

Whole Lemon Drink Recipe
1 whole organic lemon, well scrubbed to remove any wax or residues
• ½ cup filtered water
• 1-3 dessertspoons cold-pressed organic flaxseed oil or extra virgin olive oil
• 1 heaped dessertspoon lecithin (egg based—not soy, but only if you are not allergic, otherwise exclude)
• 1 capsule of vitamin E (whole into the blender)
• 1 knob of fresh ginger (approximately golf ball size)

Cut lemon into small pieces, combine all ingredients and blend for 30-45 seconds. Strain and discard the pulp. Consume ½ of the liquid before or with breakfast and the rest for dinner. Store the remainder in a clean glass container* in the fridge. Always consume the total amount within 24 hours to prevent rancidity and too much oxidation.

*Ideally the glass container should be as full of the drink as possible to decrease the amount of air, which speeds up oxidation.

Comments

• jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Yummie!!
    This sounds wonderful and like the long list of how it can help us. Will have to give it a shot as I do love lemonaide and this could pass for it quite well.

Just had lunch with a good friend today and we were chatting about all our aches and pains. I mentioned how I'm having some on-off pains in my buttock area and she claims to have something similar. She had appt with her doctor and they told her most likely arthritis or the joint needs lubrication. Doc recommended she take 2 T. per day of Flaxseed Oil which lubricates our joints. She tried it for 4 weeks and saw the results -- no more pain in her hip/joint. After a few months she thought she'd save some money and stop purchasing the Flaxseed oil. Well guess what -- the pain in the joint came back. Now she's hooked!

Worth a shot as Flaxseed oil can be replaced with olive oil in home-made dressings or in her case adds to her protein drink in the morning.

I'm gonna give it a whirl!!
  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    about the lemon drink
    Hi I have tried the lemon drink but after I blend it there is nothing to strain, the whole think came out thick so I am using it with a spoon (yum). Did I do it wrong? Please let me know. On second thoughts I did do it like a smoothie. (smile)So I will try again.june
  • daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member
    nempark said:

about the lemon drink
    Hi I have tried the lemon drink but after I blend it there is nothing to strain, the whole think came out thick so I am using it with a spoon (yum). Did I do it wrong? Please let me know. On second thoughts I did do it like a smoothie. (smile)So I will try again.june

thanks Marge
    Looks good. I will add this to my routine.

Mary Ann
  • kathybd
    kathybd Member Posts: 126
    daisy366 said:

thanks Marge
    Looks good. I will add this to my routine.

Mary Ann

Lemon drink
    Am adding this to my routine, also. Thanks!
  • shortmarge
    kathybd said:

Lemon drink
    Am adding this to my routine, also. Thanks!

Amazing
    Ok Ladies this is what the Lemon Drink has done for me...

I have lost nine pounds and I am not afraid to stand up anymore.

Last week I spent four hours cleaning my house, babysat my eight month old granddaughter and still had energy! I can stand on my feet for hours now, go up and down the stairs and vaccum all without being in tears.

My son is even feeling great. We are both amazed at how our skin has cleared up and how it feels.

Incredible that's all I have to say...

MIND, BODY AND SOUL!

Hugs,

Marge
  • kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member

Amazing
    Ok Ladies this is what the Lemon Drink has done for me...

I have lost nine pounds and I am not afraid to stand up anymore.

Last week I spent four hours cleaning my house, babysat my eight month old granddaughter and still had energy! I can stand on my feet for hours now, go up and down the stairs and vaccum all without being in tears.

My son is even feeling great. We are both amazed at how our skin has cleared up and how it feels.

Incredible that's all I have to say...

MIND, BODY AND SOUL!

Hugs,

Marge

How long before results?
    Marge....how long after you started the drink until you noticed the improvement in your feet? You have had amazing results!

Is there a reason why you shortened the recipe? Sounds great to get such marvelous results and not need to mix all of those ingredients! You are straining it aren't you?

Many thanks, Karen
  • shortmarge
    kkstef said:

How long before results?
    Marge....how long after you started the drink until you noticed the improvement in your feet? You have had amazing results!

Is there a reason why you shortened the recipe? Sounds great to get such marvelous results and not need to mix all of those ingredients! You are straining it aren't you?

Many thanks, Karen

shorten recipe
    My son is allergic to eggs and I take a multivitamin so I thought the vitamin E wasn't necessary. Yes, I am still straining it.

I lost five pounds the first week and thank goodness I had the tests that said I was cancer free or I would have worried about that. It has taken about two weeks for me to feel really great and not worry about tear bearing pain in my feet. I still have discomfort but NOTHING like before. And I don't have the bloated feeling in my belly anymore.

AMAZING...

Hugs,

Marge
  • catbird
    catbird Member Posts: 33
    kkstef said:

How long before results?

Many thanks, Karen

i thought previously another site no flaxseed oil
    karen
    under the "herbalist" site before, you had no flaxseed oil so we should use virgin olive oil or did I misunderstand?
  • kkstef
    catbird said:

i thought previously another site no flaxseed oil
    karen
    under the "herbalist" site before, you had no flaxseed oil so we should use virgin olive oil or did I misunderstand?

Olive oil instead of flaxseed oil
    Yes, that is what 2 different nutritionists and a naturopathic physician all said at 3 different lectures I went to. They all said they would not recommend flaxseed oil for any women with female cancers. I haven't actually read any studies about this but will try to check that out one of these days.

Karen
  • kathybd
    kkstef said:

Olive oil instead of flaxseed oil
    Yes, that is what 2 different nutritionists and a naturopathic physician all said at 3 different lectures I went to. They all said they would not recommend flaxseed oil for any women with female cancers. I haven't actually read any studies about this but will try to check that out one of these days.

Karen

Flaxseed oil
    Marge Good info as I have been taking Flaxseed oil for years, on the reccomendation of a holistic NP I used to work with. She said it decreases inflammation in the body. I would love to hear what you find out about the relation to female cancers.

Thanks,
    Kathy
  • kkstef
    kathybd said:

Flaxseed oil
    Marge Good info as I have been taking Flaxseed oil for years, on the reccomendation of a holistic NP I used to work with. She said it decreases inflammation in the body. I would love to hear what you find out about the relation to female cancers.

Thanks,
    Kathy

Kathy,

I have done some searching and can not find any solid research on this issue. Can anyone else? There are claims for and against but I can't find any good research done by a reputable medical center. It appears that most of the info is related to heart disease.

I believe at the lectures I went to the issue was the estrogen factor in the flaxseed oil. One source indicated that the imbalance of Omega 6's could be problematic too. I did find in the Anticancer book that the imbalance of Omega 3's and Omega 6's promotes rigidity in cells and increases inflammation,coagulation and the growth of adipose and cancer cells.

There is a fair amount of Omega 6's in flaxseed oil.

I did find the following info:

UC Berkley Wellness Guide to Dietary Supplements: http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/ds/dsFlaxseed.php

The flax plant yields the fiber from which linen is woven, as well as seeds and oil. flaxseed is highly unsaturated and heart-healthy. And flaxseeds are rich in yet another very interesting component—lignans—which may have anti-cancer properties. Lignans are a type of fiber, and at the same time a type of phytoestrogen—a chemical similar to the human hormone estrogen. When you eat lignans, bacteria in the digestive tract convert them into estrogen-like substances called enterodiol and enterolactone, which are thought to have anti-tumor effects. Lignans and other flaxseed components may also have antioxidant properties—that is, they may reduce the activity of cell-damaging free radicals.

Flaxseed oil lacks lignans

Bottom line: These claims are overstated. Flaxseed oil is heart-healthy because it contains alpha-linolenic acid. Flaxseed itself (ground or whole) also contains lignans, which may have antioxidant actions and may help protect against certain cancers, though this is far from certain. Add flaxseed and flaxseed oil to your diet if you wish. But don’t take flaxseed supplements. Plant estrogens, like human hormones, are not always benign. At high doses—and no one knows how much is too much—lignans might turn into cancer promoters.

ANd this from the Mayo Clinic website:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/flaxseed/ns_patient-flaxseed

The lignan constituents of flaxseed (not flaxseed oil) possesses in vitro anti-oxidant and possible estrogen receptor agonist/antagonist properties, prompting theories of efficacy for the treatment of breast cancer. However, there is not sufficient human evidence to make a recommendation. The effects of flaxseed on blood glucose levels are not clear, although hyperglycemic effects have been reported in one case series.
    Flaxseed oil contains only the alpha-linolenic acid component of flaxseed, and not the fiber or lignan components. Therefore, flaxseed oil may share the purported lipid-lowering properties of flaxseed, but not the proposed laxative or anti-cancer abilities.

I simply couldn't find any good research pro or con.... Hmmmm.

Karen
  • kathybd
    kkstef said:

Kathy,

I have done some searching and can not find any solid research on this issue. Can anyone else? There are claims for and against but I can't find any good research done by a reputable medical center. It appears that most of the info is related to heart disease.

I believe at the lectures I went to the issue was the estrogen factor in the flaxseed oil. One source indicated that the imbalance of Omega 6's could be problematic too. I did find in the Anticancer book that the imbalance of Omega 3's and Omega 6's promotes rigidity in cells and increases inflammation,coagulation and the growth of adipose and cancer cells.

There is a fair amount of Omega 6's in flaxseed oil.

I did find the following info:

UC Berkley Wellness Guide to Dietary Supplements: http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/ds/dsFlaxseed.php

The flax plant yields the fiber from which linen is woven, as well as seeds and oil. flaxseed is highly unsaturated and heart-healthy. And flaxseeds are rich in yet another very interesting component—lignans—which may have anti-cancer properties. Lignans are a type of fiber, and at the same time a type of phytoestrogen—a chemical similar to the human hormone estrogen. When you eat lignans, bacteria in the digestive tract convert them into estrogen-like substances called enterodiol and enterolactone, which are thought to have anti-tumor effects. Lignans and other flaxseed components may also have antioxidant properties—that is, they may reduce the activity of cell-damaging free radicals.

Flaxseed oil lacks lignans

Bottom line: These claims are overstated. Flaxseed oil is heart-healthy because it contains alpha-linolenic acid. Flaxseed itself (ground or whole) also contains lignans, which may have antioxidant actions and may help protect against certain cancers, though this is far from certain. Add flaxseed and flaxseed oil to your diet if you wish. But don’t take flaxseed supplements. Plant estrogens, like human hormones, are not always benign. At high doses—and no one knows how much is too much—lignans might turn into cancer promoters.

ANd this from the Mayo Clinic website:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/flaxseed/ns_patient-flaxseed

The lignan constituents of flaxseed (not flaxseed oil) possesses in vitro anti-oxidant and possible estrogen receptor agonist/antagonist properties, prompting theories of efficacy for the treatment of breast cancer. However, there is not sufficient human evidence to make a recommendation. The effects of flaxseed on blood glucose levels are not clear, although hyperglycemic effects have been reported in one case series.
    Flaxseed oil contains only the alpha-linolenic acid component of flaxseed, and not the fiber or lignan components. Therefore, flaxseed oil may share the purported lipid-lowering properties of flaxseed, but not the proposed laxative or anti-cancer abilities.

I simply couldn't find any good research pro or con.... Hmmmm.

Karen

Thank you for the time you took to get all this info, Karen.
    It seems after reading this, I am discontinuing the Flaxseed supplements. Scares me how long I have been on them. It certainly seems that there needs to be more research and education from the medical field on all these numerous supplements available to us. You, Claudia and some of the others do excellent research and share all this wonderful information with us; but in the end, I am wondering if these should be more regulated. You think you are adding healthy supplements to your body for good health and then hear controversy surrounding it.

Thank you again for getting this to me so quickly.

And I am starting the Lemon Drink in the AM...slowly, with just the water and lemon, then working my way down the ingredients. Not sure I can handle the raw ginger!

Best,
    Kathy
  • Songflower
    Songflower Member Posts: 608
    Antioxidants
    My doc doesn't want me to take any antioxidant supplements. She says it has to come from the real thing! So I do daily strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, plumbs, nectarines..........I like the real thing better anyway!

Diane
  • jazzy1
    kathybd said:

Flaxseed oil

Thanks,
    Kathy

Kathy
    This topic I've missed wow! I've heard pluses and minues on flaxseed in any form. The one you mentioned with oil helps decrease inflammation is what a friend of mine heard. She has had back surgery and still a bit of daily pain (must just live with it), her nutritionist suggested 1-2 T. of flaxseed oil per day to help moisten the joints. It works! Takes approx 1 month to notice the help with joint pain. Knowing it's expensive, she decided to save money and stop taking it. Guess what...the pain came back! Today she's on it and not having the joint pain in the lower back. I just purchased some to try.

A nutritionist I met with suggested it in powder form, so add it to my OJ and Whey protein twice per day....but limit the powder flaxseed as do get it in oil form (1 T.). Now not sure.

Will have to re-read all Karens information as sounds good. How confusing.

So what does everyone think? Avoid it or just not take supplement tablets?

Thanks for this information.
    Jan
  • jazzy1

Antioxidants
    My doc doesn't want me to take any antioxidant supplements. She says it has to come from the real thing! So I do daily strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, plumbs, nectarines..........I like the real thing better anyway!

Diane

Diane
    I've got a good friend who is an RN in oncology dept at San Diego area. She has been coaching me thru this cancer treatment journey. From the start of my treatments last year, told me to avoid antioxidants (vitamin form), outside of some in food-type form. But...don't go overboard either. Antioxidants protect the cells and during treatments we want the chemo to kill the bad cells. Looks like you have same great information as I received.

On other side with fruits, be watchful of the dirty dozen which have high amounts of pesticides, listed below. In this category, chose the "organic".

Celery
    Peaches
    Strawberries
    Apples
    Blueberies
    Nectarines
    Bell Peppers
    Spnach
    Kale
    Cherries
    Potatoes(not sweet)
    Grapes (imported)

CLEAN 15----- okay to eat without being "organic"

Onions
    Avacado
    Sweet Corn
    Pineapple
    Mangos
    Sweet Peas
    Asparagus
    Kiwi
    Cabbage
    Eggplant
    Cantaloupe
    Watermelon
    Grapefrit
    Sweet Potato
    Honeydew
    Melon
  • catbird
    catbird Member Posts: 33
    kathybd said:

Thank you for the time you took to get all this info, Karen.
    It seems after reading this, I am discontinuing the Flaxseed supplements. Scares me how long I have been on them. It certainly seems that there needs to be more research and education from the medical field on all these numerous supplements available to us. You, Claudia and some of the others do excellent research and share all this wonderful information with us; but in the end, I am wondering if these should be more regulated. You think you are adding healthy supplements to your body for good health and then hear controversy surrounding it.

Thank you again for getting this to me so quickly.

And I am starting the Lemon Drink in the AM...slowly, with just the water and lemon, then working my way down the ingredients. Not sure I can handle the raw ginger!

Best,
    Kathy

I too have taken flax & thanks karen for the info
    I was told before the cancer issues to take flax for the same reason as fish oil if you didn't want to take it so i have taken the flax for a long time. I did stop it this spring.

thanks karen for all you research on this issue

i tried the lemon drink & i also do NOT like raw ginger (love ginger bread) but I did put the ginger in it & could not taste it as the lemon overpowered it. I had to add a little bit of sweetner, too tart for me & probably won't be able to drink it in the future being back on chemo where before on chemo I could not eat or drink anything too spicey or tart.
  • livealot
    livealot Member Posts: 19
    jazzy1 said:

Diane
    I've got a good friend who is an RN in oncology dept at San Diego area. She has been coaching me thru this cancer treatment journey. From the start of my treatments last year, told me to avoid antioxidants (vitamin form), outside of some in food-type form. But...don't go overboard either. Antioxidants protect the cells and during treatments we want the chemo to kill the bad cells. Looks like you have same great information as I received.

On other side with fruits, be watchful of the dirty dozen which have high amounts of pesticides, listed below. In this category, chose the "organic".

Celery
    Peaches
    Strawberries
    Apples
    Blueberies
    Nectarines
    Bell Peppers
    Spnach
    Kale
    Cherries
    Potatoes(not sweet)
    Grapes (imported)

CLEAN 15----- okay to eat without being "organic"

Onions
    Avacado
    Sweet Corn
    Pineapple
    Mangos
    Sweet Peas
    Asparagus
    Kiwi
    Cabbage
    Eggplant
    Cantaloupe
    Watermelon
    Grapefrit
    Sweet Potato
    Honeydew
    Melon

thanks for all this great info!
    just had my 1st chemo today with my recurrance- Carboplatin/Doxil. did very well and feeling fine. I went to my oil painting class and had fun.
    I am really trying to do the "good food" thing this time. it can only help. eating all organic and focusing on the above list from Jazzy1, vegetarian (only fish), good grains and nice colorful fruits and veggies and no sugar. I'm sure to lose weight with this and that would be a great thing. I will definitely start the Lemon Drink tomorrow. I LOVE ginger and this sounds great. do i have to strain? I would think the gooier the better. as for the Flaxseed oil and female cancers, I understood that most of the UPSC cancers are NOT hormone sensitive- a small percentage are. it is very easy to test. I just found this out when consulting a very good doc in Baltimore. I had not gotten my tisses tested before but it is being done now. This would make a difference I think in the time after chemo in the maintenance phase. i think I may just go with the olive oil for now. I'm still looking for the diet from Mary Ann. Hope she is doing well.
    also...question about the vitamins- I take a daily Centrum (for women oveer 50). no problem there, right?
    thanks again!!
    elizabeth
  • kkstef
    jazzy1 said:

Kathy
    This topic I've missed wow! I've heard pluses and minues on flaxseed in any form. The one you mentioned with oil helps decrease inflammation is what a friend of mine heard. She has had back surgery and still a bit of daily pain (must just live with it), her nutritionist suggested 1-2 T. of flaxseed oil per day to help moisten the joints. It works! Takes approx 1 month to notice the help with joint pain. Knowing it's expensive, she decided to save money and stop taking it. Guess what...the pain came back! Today she's on it and not having the joint pain in the lower back. I just purchased some to try.

A nutritionist I met with suggested it in powder form, so add it to my OJ and Whey protein twice per day....but limit the powder flaxseed as do get it in oil form (1 T.). Now not sure.

Will have to re-read all Karens information as sounds good. How confusing.

So what does everyone think? Avoid it or just not take supplement tablets?

Thanks for this information.
    Jan

Since I am unable to find any convincing research either pro or con for these products I do not plan on making an effort to include them in my diet. If I eat something that happens to contain the product, I won't be concerned about it....but I won't actively seek them out either.

Karen
  • daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member
    livealot said:

thanks for all this great info!
    just had my 1st chemo today with my recurrance- Carboplatin/Doxil. did very well and feeling fine. I went to my oil painting class and had fun.
    I am really trying to do the "good food" thing this time. it can only help. eating all organic and focusing on the above list from Jazzy1, vegetarian (only fish), good grains and nice colorful fruits and veggies and no sugar. I'm sure to lose weight with this and that would be a great thing. I will definitely start the Lemon Drink tomorrow. I LOVE ginger and this sounds great. do i have to strain? I would think the gooier the better. as for the Flaxseed oil and female cancers, I understood that most of the UPSC cancers are NOT hormone sensitive- a small percentage are. it is very easy to test. I just found this out when consulting a very good doc in Baltimore. I had not gotten my tisses tested before but it is being done now. This would make a difference I think in the time after chemo in the maintenance phase. i think I may just go with the olive oil for now. I'm still looking for the diet from Mary Ann. Hope she is doing well.
    also...question about the vitamins- I take a daily Centrum (for women oveer 50). no problem there, right?
    thanks again!!
    elizabeth

flax oil?
    I was interested to read the info on this. I did have my UPSC tissue tested for hormones and was told that I would not be a candidate for hormone therapy.

I have read only good things about flax oil. If any of you decide to take this, call Barleans toll free number and they will give you about a 30% discount off posted prices because you are a cancer patient. My doc told me that and it was true!!

I am taking 2 T flax oil with 1/2 cup cottage cheese daily - this is the Budwig protocol - a German doc who did research on cancer and had 85% cure rate according to the homeopathic doc I saw recently. So I am doing this and will get my first blood tests this week since starting diet, supplements, and the Budwig protocol. I'll keep you posted.

Mary Ann
  • Benny C
    Benny C Member Posts: 1
    Lemon drink effect

I have this pain on the right below the stomach. Test by several doctors, specialist and scans could'nt determine wht it was. The colonoscpopy just now, confirmed nothing serious except for a small normal growth that was taken care of. Before this, I took blended whole lemon for 3 mornings. You need to stir it with a spoon on a sieve with coarser (bigger) grid.It took care of the pain during the day, but the discomfort come back in the morning. However, I noticed the diicomfort reduces over the few days I had the drink. It was coupled with arm swimging for the 3 days in the morning and evening. Each session was for about 15 minutes.