RFA treatment

Options
38sallyb
38sallyb Member Posts: 87
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Well, we went for our appointment with the Interventional Radiologist this morning and essentially, were told, "NO, this is not for you, at least not now. Come back in 6 weeks, have another CT/PET scan and we'll see where you are then".
Guess that's what we'll do. He did give us a detailed explanation of what the various protocols would be that might work, but due to the position of the lesions, he didn't want to try it right now. We DID get far more information concerning Jim's condition that we have had up until now, which is good.
He said Jim could go ahead with some short term chemo now or wait and see. With Stage IVb, that seems a little iffy, but since he was only offered the same kind of chemo that didn't work before, I don't really expect him to jump up to try that again.
We'll check out the University of Colorado when we get there in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, Jim looks, feels and acts like his old self. Eats anything he wants, is active and doing well. We believe that prayers are answered and we'll see what the answer to this prayer is in God's good time.
Sally

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • 38sallyb
    Options
    unknown said:

RFA
    Evidently the IR Dr. doesn't think that will be helpful either. I didn't get a final answer on that, just that the ablation procedure would be too risky right now. The location is the problem. We might try seeing what the Dr in San Antonio says, he is a little more into the spheres. I felt we got a good explanation, just isn't what we hoped. We are pretty down this afternoon.
    The oncologist just isn't offering any different chemo options, just stuck on Taxotere, Carboplatin and 5FU
    using Carboplatin instead of Oxaliplatin. I thought there were some other chemos used for stage iv????? He doesn't seem to feel anything will help, and seems really to be giving up. In the meantime, Jim just keeps feeling better and better.
    Sally
  • Betty in Vegas
    Betty in Vegas Member Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    38sallyb said:

RFA
    Evidently the IR Dr. doesn't think that will be helpful either. I didn't get a final answer on that, just that the ablation procedure would be too risky right now. The location is the problem. We might try seeing what the Dr in San Antonio says, he is a little more into the spheres. I felt we got a good explanation, just isn't what we hoped. We are pretty down this afternoon.
    The oncologist just isn't offering any different chemo options, just stuck on Taxotere, Carboplatin and 5FU
    using Carboplatin instead of Oxaliplatin. I thought there were some other chemos used for stage iv????? He doesn't seem to feel anything will help, and seems really to be giving up. In the meantime, Jim just keeps feeling better and better.
    Sally

See, we are in the same place.
    Layne feels great and better every day. So you know what, I am enjoying each day! Layne is going onto Citsplatin Thursday, so I know there are other options. Keep asking keep pushing. I know you will. You are one tough cookie Sally! I think that is why we get along!
  • Unknown
    Options
    38sallyb said:

RFA
    Sally

• 38sallyb
    Options
    unknown said:

Guess we'll have to try
    Guess we'll have to try elsewhere. MDA really isn't offering much except 6 months of pretty much the same chemo he had before that didn't do much. I thought they changed chemo due to resistant cells. We'll contact the Cancer Center in Denver when we get to Colorado and see what they are offering in the way of treatment for Stage IVb.
    Lots of other upsetting things going on in the family right now and Jim is very vulnerable. I don't seem to be able to help there either. What a mess! I don't want to give up either!
    Sally
  • Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    38sallyb said:

Guess we'll have to try
    Guess we'll have to try elsewhere. MDA really isn't offering much except 6 months of pretty much the same chemo he had before that didn't do much. I thought they changed chemo due to resistant cells. We'll contact the Cancer Center in Denver when we get to Colorado and see what they are offering in the way of treatment for Stage IVb.
    Lots of other upsetting things going on in the family right now and Jim is very vulnerable. I don't seem to be able to help there either. What a mess! I don't want to give up either!
    Sally

Erbitux??
    Sally,
    I am not sure of the spelling but someone has mentioned Erbitux? sp? and when I asked my dr he said it was for Stage IV cancer. I know they have it at various cancer centers and it has been mentioned here more than once. Just a thought. My prayers are with you that the other drs give you something to hang your hope on. take care, prayers always,
    Donna70
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Hi Sally and Jim,
    Sorry for

Hi Sally and Jim,
    Sorry for your recent update, but happy to know that Jim is feeling so well. That is great. Live each day. Rejoice in it! You guys are both tuff cookies! You will not give up. Keep going! You are such an inspriration to all of us! Keep in touch.
    Tina
  • MAE66
    MAE66 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Univ. Colo.
    Hi Sally,

We went to the Univ. of Colo for a second opinion/consult. Paul had been on the 5FU, Cisplatin and Taxotere which at the time had done the job. I remember the Dr. telling us that there were still a lot of options for treatment if the cancer showed up somewhere. We were there in Jan. and at that time there were only phase 1 trials for stage 4.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to talk to you. I am e mailing you my ph#

Susan