edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
How did Mom make out?

Comments

• Lisa13Q
    Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
    Options
    Mom
    Hi Nancy,

We don't know yet, she doesn't meet with her Gyn/Onc until Wednesday...She's terrified...Thanks for asking...I just read your earlier post. I'm glad the monster isn't spreading,,,,sorry it isn't gone...How soon after your CT scan did you get your results? Hows your CA-125?
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Lisa13Q said:

Mom
    Hi Nancy,

We don't know yet, she doesn't meet with her Gyn/Onc until Wednesday...She's terrified...Thanks for asking...I just read your earlier post. I'm glad the monster isn't spreading,,,,sorry it isn't gone...How soon after your CT scan did you get your results? Hows your CA-125?

PET/CT
    I had a PET/CT done which is a little more involved then just the standard PET. The results are ready 24hrs, business hours, after the scan. My ca125 is not a good marker for me anymore. When I had a confirmed recurrence in December '09 my number dropped from 12 to 10. I started Doxil in Jan. '10. During my treatment with Doxil it stayed in the 15-22 range. My latest ca125 did jump from 19 to 32. This is what prompted the scan.
  • Lisa13Q
    Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
    Options
    nancy591 said:

PET/CT
    I had a PET/CT done which is a little more involved then just the standard PET. The results are ready 24hrs, business hours, after the scan. My ca125 is not a good marker for me anymore. When I had a confirmed recurrence in December '09 my number dropped from 12 to 10. I started Doxil in Jan. '10. During my treatment with Doxil it stayed in the 15-22 range. My latest ca125 did jump from 19 to 32. This is what prompted the scan.

Hey
    For whatever reason, they did not do a PET scan.......there is not a great rapport between my mother and her gyn/onc....it was not a good meeting in January.....we'll see how it goes tomorrow.....I read your earlier post about your PET/CT.....It sounds a lot like my mother....a little area but not growing....that's good I think...I don't know anymore with this disease...but better no growth than some...??? I know I probably sound like an idiot...but I have to be hopeful....Do you still have faith in MSK? I was a little upset after January meeting....when do you go in next?
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    MSK
    Who is her gyn/onc again.....Dr. S? What are the problems with the relationship and what is her history again, I forget.

Yes, I have faith in them. I'm not ready to jump ship. They aggressively treated me. My initial treatment was 5 rounds IV carbo/taxol and 3 rounds IP cisplat/taxol. Unfortunately it only kept me in remission 7 months or so. I see a medical onc in Sleepy Hollow, NY and also followed by a gyn/onc, Dr. S, at the NYC location. They all collaborate on what treatment to use...I also call my surgeon and ask her opinion.

I spoke with Dr. S yesterday. He told me there is an annual GYN cancer conference the first week in June. At that conference it is expected the results of the clinical trials with Avastin will be announced. I will be starting Carbo/Gem shortly. If the avastin proves to be effective they will add the avastin. He told me to call him the 2nd week of June for the conference results. We also spoke of clinical trials. Is your Mom BRCA positive? MSKCC has two trials with PARP inhibitors that works with BRCA positive OVCA. I am not BRCA positive. I spoke with my medical onc and told her about some trials I saw online given at NYU. She gave me some names of gyn onc at NYU. She told me if wanted to consult with them she would have no problem doing whatever they recommended. She told me that MSK only does evidenced based clinical trials but NYU does things 'outside the box'. She spoke highly of NYU. I think I like the idea of evidenced based trials though. If things start getting dicey for me I may be willing to try anything but for now I am symptom free. I have two young kids to think about. I am not willing to be a human guinea pig...yet