when does hair fall out with taxotere/cytoxen?

Options
2»

Comments

• dianebraun
    dianebraun Member Posts: 51
    Options
    GayleMc said:

I lost my hair on the 13th
    I lost my hair on the 13th day after 1st treatment of Cytoxan/Taxotere. I had gotten my hair buzzed really short but it still came out by the finger-fulls and so my son and my boyfriend shaved my head. I cried. Have to admit that it was not as bad as the anticipation, though. I am 5 weeks from finishing chemo and I can see where fluffs of hair is growing back but I am feeling very impatient to have enough so I can ditch the coverings. Good wishes to all of you beginning or in the midst of treatment. It really does end before you know it and you will be so glad to be done.

The time has come. I made
    The time has come. I made an appointment with the place I bought my wig to have my hair shaved off tomorrow. I figure, if I make it through tomorrow, I can make it through anything. I have to just remind myself to be thankful the lymphnodes were clean. It could always be a lot worse. I don't work again for a few days so it will give me time to get used to the new look. This too will pass.....
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

The time has come. I made an appointment with the place I bought my wig to have my hair shaved off tomorrow. I figure, if I make it through tomorrow, I can make it through anything. I have to just remind myself to be thankful the lymphnodes were clean. It could always be a lot worse. I don't work again for a few days so it will give me time to get used to the new look. This too will pass.....

I had the same time frame as
    I had the same time frame as Traci, when it started on my head I had it buzzed. finished Jan 21 and it covers my head, started growing down there first. Once it startes it takes off. my hair is also not the same color or texture.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options

Diane, I did what you are
    Diane, I did what you are doing and had my head shaved on a Friday, after work, so I could have the weekend to get used to it. I cried like a baby the entire time my hairdresser was shaving my head. I would have never guessed in a million years that I would have had that reaction. I knew that I wasn't looking forward to it but it was the absolute worst part of treatments for me. I am now 5 months from treatments and have been without head coverings for a couple of months. There is an end to this so try to remember that in the event you have a tough time of the hair loss. Take care and let us know how you are doing.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Cat64 said:

Diane
    As the others have mentioned, you can pretty much count on 14-16 days. At first it's just a few strands here & there, then it starts coming out in clumps. It's best at that point to just buzz it down. This is my second time around & I tried to hang onto the little bit of hair I had sprouted for as long as I could. The constant shedding became annoying & the need to shave it yet again won that war. Hope your s/e are minimal to none during your Chemo Treatments. We are here for you each step of the way!
    Take Care
    Cat

Maybe this post will help
    Maybe this post will help you pdv.

Sue :)
  • dianebraun
    dianebraun Member Posts: 51
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Diane, I did what you are
    Diane, I did what you are doing and had my head shaved on a Friday, after work, so I could have the weekend to get used to it. I cried like a baby the entire time my hairdresser was shaving my head. I would have never guessed in a million years that I would have had that reaction. I knew that I wasn't looking forward to it but it was the absolute worst part of treatments for me. I am now 5 months from treatments and have been without head coverings for a couple of months. There is an end to this so try to remember that in the event you have a tough time of the hair loss. Take care and let us know how you are doing.

I had my head shaved down to
    I had my head shaved down to about 3 millimeters and I thought the nubs would fall out by now. I'm wondering if I cut it prematurely, but I couldn't take a risk of hair falling all over my patients when I work on Monday. The nubs are annoying and I read some women used a lint brush to get them out. I don't know if was a smart decision or not, but I used an epilady in my head to get a lot of it off. The wig is a bit tight and uncomfortable, but the cotton turbans are nice. Wig at work, turban otherwise. It's only temporary and I just have to keep telling myself that. I'm looking forward to my last chemo in July and new hair growth in October.
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Hair
    Mine came out 2 weeks after first treatment of the same cocktail.Good luck.
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options
    Hair Loss
    I had taxotere/carboplaten, and it was pretty much the same - it started about 2 and a half weeks into treatment. It started growing back last summer and I had to have my old perm put back in. I read where so many have hair growing back that is thicker, darker, curlier. Mine grew in the same as it went out. Thin, gray and limp. I didn't want to, but finally got my old perm back. I cried when I saw it. I hated it then and I hate it now, but the alternative is to live with a head full of curlers or carry a curling iron with me because no matter how much I curl it, tease it, spray it - within a half hour its straight.

So have no fear, it will grow back, and may yours grow back thick and lush and beautiful so you don't have to have these orphan annie curls all over your head!!! LOL

Hugs - Pat
  • Beatlegirl65
    Beatlegirl65 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    hair falling out
    It started coming out after the 2nd treatment. It was a little bit, then a few days later it came out in handfulls. I just had it buzzed off. Cried and felt so ugly, but it really did feel better than seeing all that hair. I bought a wig, but seldom wear it. It itches and feels funny. I wear alot of hats.
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234
    Options

hair falling out
    It started coming out after the 2nd treatment. It was a little bit, then a few days later it came out in handfulls. I just had it buzzed off. Cried and felt so ugly, but it really did feel better than seeing all that hair. I bought a wig, but seldom wear it. It itches and feels funny. I wear alot of hats.

hair
    I am just having my 2nd treatment and my hair is still falling out.. Had it cut 4 times all ready...Had to wear my wig to work for the first time...I think it feels like I am wearing a rug on my head..Yuk! I think I like the bald look better.....
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    waffle8 said:

hair
    I am just having my 2nd treatment and my hair is still falling out.. Had it cut 4 times all ready...Had to wear my wig to work for the first time...I think it feels like I am wearing a rug on my head..Yuk! I think I like the bald look better.....

scarves and hats and earrings, oh my
    I can truly say I've been enjoying being creative with my scarves and hats lately. The wigs I tried on did feel like a rug, as you say, and just weren't "me." I've never been flamboyant before, but now I figure "why not?" Luckily, my hubby has gotten many scarves from his favorite thrift store for my daughter over the years, and I have many from when they were popular in the 80s. I wear one as a headband over another and so forth, always with big earrings. Anyway, just an idea that's between wig and bald, waffle8.