Odd experience with DIEP recon.

seof
seof Member Posts: 819 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Anyone who has had DIEP recon,
I was just wondering if anyone has had an experience like mine. I had DIEP reconstruction last year with a revision in March to finish up. The last 2 weeks I have noticed occasional stabbing pains in the newly created breast in the location where the tumor was in the original breast. In my mind I know it is not possible for there to be anything wrong there, since the tissue is abdominal fat and skin and all the cancerous tissue is gone. I assume it is just some strange way the nerves are trying to reestablish a connection, (like an amputee saying her foot itches, or something. Has anyone else had similar experiences? What do you think?

seof

Comments

• jphilpo
    jphilpo Member Posts: 177
    experience
    I had to respond to you because I am having my DIEP recon on June 14th. I apologize for butting in to your question, but I am so interested in hearing how it went. I am scared.

Thanks
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    I had a lumpectomy seof, so,
    I had a lumpectomy seof, so, I can't answer specifically to your question. But, it is probably the nerves just trying to reestablish like you said. I hope someone will respond to you that has gone thru this. Good luck!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    jphilpo said:

experience
    I had to respond to you because I am having my DIEP recon on June 14th. I apologize for butting in to your question, but I am so interested in hearing how it went. I am scared.

Thanks

Sorry for your pain
    It could be in your head. In order to avoid your thoughts and worries ask your beast surgeon for diagnostic/imaging test like as MRI, Ultrasound or mamo. I had mastectomy with DIEP in July 2008. Sometimes I have pain on that side related to swelling. Last week when I had my annual screening mammogram for non-affected breast we included diagnostic mammogram for my reconstructed side (first since mastectomy). We will use it as a base line for future. Talk to your doctor and see what is going on.
    Good luck,
    New Flower
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    DebbyM said:

I had a lumpectomy seof, so,
    I had a lumpectomy seof, so, I can't answer specifically to your question. But, it is probably the nerves just trying to reestablish like you said. I hope someone will respond to you that has gone thru this. Good luck!

My breast still has a little
    My breast still has a little pain, but, my rads oncologist said it was still from the radiation and mainly, the boosters I got at the end of my treatment. Even though I had a lumpectomy, I think we all still have some pain for awhile from whatever surgery or treatment we have. Be sure and ask your oncologist and PS if it is ok for you to still be having it. I bet it is. Hoping it goes away soon for you!

HUGS!