got home from New York to big disaster

Options
maglets
maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
sorry guys....before I read through the forums and catch up I thought I'd tell you some funny/crappy news. some of you will remember Jim gave me tickets to the Met in New York for Christmas....off we went and it couldn't have been more wonderful> The people of New York were fun, kind and generous....

skip to crap.....when we got home a 60 foot maple tree has fallen on our house and the little back yard shed where I have spent so many hours doing chemo and hanging out.....enough already!!!! I know! it isn't life threatening but it's a pain and will take a bundle to fix everything...the yard is completely filled with tree....the main trunk is about 5 feet in diameter.....she's a biggie....tired tonight....will post pics tomorrow

hugs to all :)

mags
«1

Comments

  • Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Oh Mags
    I am SO sorry about the darn Maple tree falling on your house.I am just glad you were in New York and you weren't harmed by the tree!

    We had these stupid sweet gum trees in our yard...must have been a hundred yrs old and they got to looking weak and leaning towards the house.Had 5 of the things cut down last fall. Now we have no shade but on the bright side we don't step on those prickley balls anymore that the sweet gums drop.

    Mags....Glad you had a wonderful time in NY. Isn't NY great?...I love it:)

    Welcome back...missed you.

    -Pat
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    oh no!
    Hi Mags,

    Glad you had a great time in NY, but sorry for what you came home to. You'll get through it but, yeah- it's lousy!

    Hang in there & have a good weekend!

    Lisa
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    More to the point...
    What did you see at the Met (museum or opera)? We're going to opera on Monday to The Flying Dutchman.

    Sorry to hear about your tree - glad you weren't under it. Some big winds this week took down a lot of big trees in our area - some are completely uprooted.

    That's a lot of firewood....

    Take care,
    Alice
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Things come in Trees?
    Re:
    "will take a bundle to fix everything"

    Our insurance paid for tree clean-up, repairs, etc... I trust you
    made the call?

    Better days!!

    John
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    sometimes it doesn't pay to come home....
    WE came home from Europe to water damage...in the library (including books...sigh), and in the front room where the thresholds for the french doors leaked, ruining our beautiful wood floors...sigh...

    Welcome home! Hope things get better!

    Hugs, Kathi
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Oh, no
    Oh, man. That's not good! So sorry!

    *hugs*
    Gail
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Options
    Mags
    Mags,
    That is such a bummer about your wonderful little shed. I agree, call insurance. One thing for sure, I'm glad you weren't in the yard when the tree fell over.

    Aloha,

    Kathleen
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options

    Mags
    Mags,
    That is such a bummer about your wonderful little shed. I agree, call insurance. One thing for sure, I'm glad you weren't in the yard when the tree fell over.

    Aloha,

    Kathleen

    Oh the poor tree!
    jk. Major bummer, we had one fall on our shed, barely missed the cabin! Call insurance!!
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    Nana b said:

    Oh the poor tree!
    jk. Major bummer, we had one fall on our shed, barely missed the cabin! Call insurance!!

    New York
    yes I really really loved the city....abrub we saw Rossini's Armida with Rene Fleming....

    Kathi I am sorry you had such a mess when you came home....the tree is still balanced on my garden shed....my second home....we are experiencing 100 K winds today....oh dear....enough already....just going to try posting some pics...it rained like fury all night and without eavestrough it just dripped all over windows and walls

    mags
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Insurance
    Hi Maggie May:)

    I had forgotten about your Christmas present - how wonderful that you finally got to go - sounds like a marvelous time.

    I'm sorry about your disaster - we just need to get your "escape hatch" fixed back for you now:)

    On insurance, when it comes to Landscape: trees, shrubs, grass etc....insurance will not pay for any of these. They should however, pay for repairs to your shed.

    I found out the hard way in 2000 - we had an F3 tornado slam into our house and pick up my barn like right out of the "Wizard of Oz." It took away the barn, every piece of fencing, picked up or broke in half every tree we had, tore up the inside of the house, picked the roof of the house, lifted the house off the foundation, knocked down brick walls, and ruined all of our internal contents...the list is endless.

    Your barns and whatnot are covered by an external building clause (the contents too). But sadly, landscape and trees are not covered. We lost everything and had to totally re-build and re-plant everything. Everything we had worked so hard for was gone in less than 2 minutes - but we walked away from a 200 mph tornado that could have killed us...F-3's don't play nicely.

    Hopefully, you've got "replacement" insurance - if not, check into this - it more than pays for itself when you're hit with big damage.

    You got any questions, I'll be glad to help you.

    Love ya'
    -Craig
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

    Insurance
    Hi Maggie May:)

    I had forgotten about your Christmas present - how wonderful that you finally got to go - sounds like a marvelous time.

    I'm sorry about your disaster - we just need to get your "escape hatch" fixed back for you now:)

    On insurance, when it comes to Landscape: trees, shrubs, grass etc....insurance will not pay for any of these. They should however, pay for repairs to your shed.

    I found out the hard way in 2000 - we had an F3 tornado slam into our house and pick up my barn like right out of the "Wizard of Oz." It took away the barn, every piece of fencing, picked up or broke in half every tree we had, tore up the inside of the house, picked the roof of the house, lifted the house off the foundation, knocked down brick walls, and ruined all of our internal contents...the list is endless.

    Your barns and whatnot are covered by an external building clause (the contents too). But sadly, landscape and trees are not covered. We lost everything and had to totally re-build and re-plant everything. Everything we had worked so hard for was gone in less than 2 minutes - but we walked away from a 200 mph tornado that could have killed us...F-3's don't play nicely.

    Hopefully, you've got "replacement" insurance - if not, check into this - it more than pays for itself when you're hit with big damage.

    You got any questions, I'll be glad to help you.

    Love ya'
    -Craig

    hi sweetie pie
    thank you sooo much for your detailed thoughts....same thing here no insurance on landscaping but get this Craig....the enormous tree is still resting on my summerhouse so the insurance guy said he would go halves to take the tree off the house and cleanup...he wants professional so there is no further damage to buildings..this quote is round 850.00 and then the remainder of the tree still standing comes in at 850.00....who knows what the house and summerhouse will be plus we have a 500.00 deductible so we'll be paying for sure...

    big hugs

    mags
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    Mags,sorry to hear about the
    Mags,sorry to hear about the damage in your home.But I think it's lucky that nobody got hurt.I agree it sucks when this happens,but we can fix the material things little by little.Hopefully your insurance will help you out with some issues.Take care.
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    Pain
    What a royal pain in the butt. We had some tree problems but nothing like yours, we had zero damage. Make sure you take lots of pictures just in case there are insurance issues.

    Take care - Tina
  • AceSFO
    AceSFO Member Posts: 229
    Options
    oh no.
    Sorry to hear it - what a hassle! At least you weren't there to get hit by the falling tree.

    Hope you're doing well,
    Adrian
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    AceSFO said:

    oh no.
    Sorry to hear it - what a hassle! At least you weren't there to get hit by the falling tree.

    Hope you're doing well,
    Adrian

    Phil
    Phil I forgot to tell you....we drove our car as far as Rhinecliff....which is one stop past Poughkeepsie....the parking was free at the Amtrak station. It was about an hour and one half right into Penn Station. DH had reserved a room on Central Park West so we just grabbed a subway and went north a wee way to the hotel....couldn't have been smoother...

    same thing coming out of the city....smooth sailing.

    the tree surgeons start tomorrow to remove the tree....can't imagine how long it will take....more than a day I think....I will be glad to have it off my summerhouse so that poor little shed can breathe.

    thanks for your help Phil with New York info

    mags
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    maglets said:

    Phil
    Phil I forgot to tell you....we drove our car as far as Rhinecliff....which is one stop past Poughkeepsie....the parking was free at the Amtrak station. It was about an hour and one half right into Penn Station. DH had reserved a room on Central Park West so we just grabbed a subway and went north a wee way to the hotel....couldn't have been smoother...

    same thing coming out of the city....smooth sailing.

    the tree surgeons start tomorrow to remove the tree....can't imagine how long it will take....more than a day I think....I will be glad to have it off my summerhouse so that poor little shed can breathe.

    thanks for your help Phil with New York info

    mags

    Mags
    I'm glad all went smoothly. What's with all the surgeons???
    Doesn't anyone chop up trees anymore? Everyone's a specialist I guess
    ;-)
    -p
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Options
    PhillieG said:

    Mags
    I'm glad all went smoothly. What's with all the surgeons???
    Doesn't anyone chop up trees anymore? Everyone's a specialist I guess
    ;-)
    -p

    surgeons
    hah never thought of that....tree surgeons! maybe they could a little quick work on any livers in need of repair whilst they are here.....by the way of course they were coming today and just called.....cannot make it....you know those experts....very busy

    so we stayed at a motel out at Hyde Park on the night before we came into the city. The motel was filled with vintage car buffs and all their beautiful vehicles....they were off to the show and swap at Rhinebeck....all such nice people and I fell desperately in love with several turquoise late 60's Chevies...
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    maglets said:

    surgeons
    hah never thought of that....tree surgeons! maybe they could a little quick work on any livers in need of repair whilst they are here.....by the way of course they were coming today and just called.....cannot make it....you know those experts....very busy

    so we stayed at a motel out at Hyde Park on the night before we came into the city. The motel was filled with vintage car buffs and all their beautiful vehicles....they were off to the show and swap at Rhinebeck....all such nice people and I fell desperately in love with several turquoise late 60's Chevies...

    I would have gone for the Fords....
    Mustangs, specifically~!

    Oh, and the only thing I would think a tree surgeon should be careful of is not going out on a limb, just like all other surgeons...ROFL!~

    Hugs, Kathi
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Mags I am sorry you came
    Mags I am sorry you came home to this disaster; these things can really try us! I am glad no one was hurt + that you had a wonderfucl time in NYC. I'd love more details - I love New York City! Take good care!
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    maglets said:

    surgeons
    hah never thought of that....tree surgeons! maybe they could a little quick work on any livers in need of repair whilst they are here.....by the way of course they were coming today and just called.....cannot make it....you know those experts....very busy

    so we stayed at a motel out at Hyde Park on the night before we came into the city. The motel was filled with vintage car buffs and all their beautiful vehicles....they were off to the show and swap at Rhinebeck....all such nice people and I fell desperately in love with several turquoise late 60's Chevies...

    Question?
    Q: What is the difference between a guy with a chainsaw and tree surgeon?
    A: About $1500

    I've always wanted to go to Rhinebeck to see the WWII Air Show. I loved that stuff when I was a kid. I would have loved the cars too. My first car was a Black 1963 Ford Galaxie XL500 with an automatic and red bucket seats. How I wish I had that car still. Love the cars from the 60's

    Hyde Park is very nice, I went mountain biking at the grounds there once.