Radiation and Tissue Expander

Options
ruthielaine
ruthielaine Member Posts: 59
edited June 2022 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone had successful reconstruction with tissue expander / implant after radiation? At the time I elected to have a tissue expander I didn't think I would need radiation but after discovery of 4 pos nodes, I had to have radiation after the tissue expander was placed. Now I'm finished with rads and am waiting for skin to recuperate before implant switch. My plastic surgeon is not thrilled that I had to have rads (of course who is right?) Anyway, I read alot of info that says you really shouldn't have implants with radiation and now I'm totally confused. Is there anyone who has had this successfully?

thanks

Comments

• greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Options
    Ruthie
    Same thing here. I elected to have the bilateral mastectomy and insertion of tissue expanders. At the time, I was considered at low risk for having any lymph node involvement but, lo and behold, there were two positive nodes. I have talked about it a lot with my plastic surgeon - while he would be thrilled if no radiation was involved one of my oncologists seems pretty definite we will be going that route (the other is not sure so I have already got my appointment with the radiation oncologist to see what the plan is).

My plastic surgeon over-inflated the side that will be radiated a small amount to help compensate for any scar tissue. He said we will wait 3 months after radiation is completed to attempt the surgery to allow for complete healing and determine if there will be scarring that will affect the surgery. He said that if there is a lot of scarring, I still have the option of flap surgery although I really hope I don't have to go that route....

All I can say is take your time and ask all the questions you need to ask. One step at a time and you will get through it. Good luck!

Chris
  • ruthielaine
    ruthielaine Member Posts: 59
    Options
    thanks - yes I will take my
    thanks - yes I will take my time. I'm not really thrilled about flap surgery - I guess I'm kind of a chicken! Cancer ain't for sissys!!!!!
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    my experience
    I had chemo, double mastectomy with expanders, radiation, then more chemo, then DIEP reconstruction. I had expanders before radiation because the Drs. said radiation would make the skin tough and possibly shrink that side...it was better to get the expansion done first. Once the skin recovered from radiation (10 months) Drs. were ready to do surgery. I had minimal problems with any of it till after the reconstruction. As always, be sure to write down any and all questions and bring it up with your Dr. at your next visit.

Take care, seof
  • rm22111
    rm22111 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    wait time
    I knew I would probably need radiation before my bilateral mastectomy, but I wanted to try the expanders and implants first instead of going with a flap procedure. My plastic surgeon was not to thrilled with my decision either, but he agreed to do it. He wanted my expanders filled before the radiation. I start radiation in a few weeks (only need it on one side). My plastic surgeon said I need to wait for 10 months after radiation is finished before he will do the exchange and put the implants in. He says that if you try to do it sooner there is more of a chance that there will be problems with the surgery. So, even though I am not to happy about it. I will go along with him, because I want the best outcome. Hope this helps.

rm22111
  • Grandma67
    Grandma67 Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I had a mastectomy and they put in an expander and had saline solution put in to expand the breast. Now going for radiation treatments . I had to have a total of 28. I now have only 6 more radiation treatments to go. I bit concerned because I read it’s not good to have radiation with expander. My breast is hard as a rock . Has anyone experienced the same thing.