Who treats the emotional well being?

mdnikki
mdnikki Member Posts: 34
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
While visiting my mom in the hospital last night her primary doctor came in to see her. My mom proceeded to tell her that she cries all night long. That her heart hurts and not physically but that it hurts for her daughers (myself and my sister) and for her grandson who have to take care of her and visit her daily. She wonders why she sees commercials for those cancer places and people seem to get better and she isn't.

The doctors response was to put her on an anti depressent. Sure that treats her medically but who can treat her emotionally. My sister and I are too close to the issues and she won't talk to us. We don't have any other family members and mom didn't belong to any church or organizations.

I called the hospital volunteers office and they have no one that can just visit mom during the times we aren't there to just chat with her. I also contacted our local ACS and they don't have any connections for us. There are pastoral folks in the hospital but she then fears their visit is just prepartation for passing on.

I am at a loss. I know it is the hospitals job to treat medically but don't they realize that emotions go hand in hand. Why don't they have people to treat all aspects of what cancer is...what chemo does etc. We just feel so helpless in just finding someone that will just go and chat with her...

Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188
    Suprised
    I am somewhat suprised that ACS doesnt have volunteers that do pre/post surgical visits. My mom (in the mid 70's) volunteered for several years to support women just heading into this. Maybe thats something you can try starting up in your area.
  • grandmafay
    grandmafay Member Posts: 1,633 Member
    Hard
    This is hard, and my experience was that even the Doctors were not real comfortable talking about the emotional toll cancer takes on the whole family. Check to see if the hospital has a social worker. He/she might be able to help. See if there is a cancer support group that might be able to send a visitor. Also, your mom might want to try talking to one of the hospital chaplains. You could tell one of them of your mom's concerns about talking to them. They run into that all the time and might be able to put her mind at rest about the nature of their visit. Take care, Fay