CT and Bone Scan

Options
shortmarge
shortmarge Member Posts: 291
edited March 2014 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1
I'm set to have a CT and bone scan on Thursday. Has anyone had a bone scan?

Uck!! It's going to take most of the day...

Hugs,

Marge

Comments

• jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Options
    Bone Scan
    My mother n law had one done and it took 1 hr just being on the table. Prior to that we waited as tech had problems with machine and after her scan, he had to get approval from doc. Doc couldn't see some things on scan, so back up on table for another hour scan redo.

Just time consuming, but feel no pain. You might be comfortable just taking a nap as you have to be very steady and quiet. Don't drink or each much before.

Why bone scan? In her case she had pain in hips and wanted to see if she had broken one. Nothing broken just found her artificial hip was dislodged...yikes!

Good luck!!
    Jan
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Marge good luck on Thursday
    Hoping you get good results from your CT and Bone Scan on Thursday, and it does not show anything serious. You remain in my prayers. In peace and caring.
  • kansasgal
    kansasgal Member Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bone Scan
    Hi, Marge!

If you are wanting to know about a typical dexa scan, I have had several over the past 10 or so years. I have a condition called osteopenia and am doing exercises and taking calcium supplements, etc. to try to hold osteoporosis at bay. Both of my parents had osteoporosis. The scan itself just takes a few minutes. The doctor usually scans 2 different spots. I usually have to wait 15 or 20 minutes ahead of time - about the same length of time I have to wait when I go in for a mammogram. Then I have to wait a few minutes afterward while the doctor makes sure the scan results are crisp and clear - again, like waiting after the mammogram to be sure the pics are nice and clear. Just relax and try not to move so it doesn't have to be repeated. Absolutely no pain. It's like having an x-ray. Let me know if you have any more questions. But perhaps there is some other kind of bone scan that you are having???

The CT is the one that takes so long. First labs, then drinking the yucky stuff, then a very long wait. Then the IV port is inserted. Then another wait. Then finally the scan. That scan takes longer than the dexa scan, and it's hard to hold one's breath and keep very still for such a long time. Of course it is done both without and then with the contrast, so that doubles the scan time since there are multiple scans.

Hugs from Sally
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Options
    kansasgal said:

Bone Scan
    Hi, Marge!

If you are wanting to know about a typical dexa scan, I have had several over the past 10 or so years. I have a condition called osteopenia and am doing exercises and taking calcium supplements, etc. to try to hold osteoporosis at bay. Both of my parents had osteoporosis. The scan itself just takes a few minutes. The doctor usually scans 2 different spots. I usually have to wait 15 or 20 minutes ahead of time - about the same length of time I have to wait when I go in for a mammogram. Then I have to wait a few minutes afterward while the doctor makes sure the scan results are crisp and clear - again, like waiting after the mammogram to be sure the pics are nice and clear. Just relax and try not to move so it doesn't have to be repeated. Absolutely no pain. It's like having an x-ray. Let me know if you have any more questions. But perhaps there is some other kind of bone scan that you are having???

The CT is the one that takes so long. First labs, then drinking the yucky stuff, then a very long wait. Then the IV port is inserted. Then another wait. Then finally the scan. That scan takes longer than the dexa scan, and it's hard to hold one's breath and keep very still for such a long time. Of course it is done both without and then with the contrast, so that doubles the scan time since there are multiple scans.

Hugs from Sally

Oops!
    Do you mean a bone-density scan, as I had one at my OBs office? Thinking that's what Sally is mentioning above...sorry! If yes, it's very quick 15-20 minutes.

Good luck!
    Jan