Mastectomy, messed up armpit

Options
2»

Comments

• lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    My underarm resembles a
    My underarm resembles a baseball or softball on bad days. I was told that it is a "full facility" and lymphedema......now I am wondering. Some days my one arm doesn't go against my body, but sticks out some and I feel like I look quite awkward!! Other days, I am the only one who knows.
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    April 1st
    Hey Chrispea, I thought I was the only one who spent April Fools on the operating table. Did you do anything dramatic for the surgeon. I wore pasties and a Not This One, The Other One. I just couldn't help myself.

I just have a numb arm pit and some of my left arm. Scare is still red but no other problems. Sounds weird, hope you find a well recommended plastic surgeon for good repair.

Scotch Freckles
  • conperry50
    conperry50 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

i just had a double mastectomy a month ago. and i have a raw burning and numb feeling where my breast use to be also under my armpits it burns feels numb, and like i have golf balls under my arms. i have developed what looks like a nipple near where the nodes were removed, it looks weird and im not happy. does anyone know what this is? also how long does recovery take after surgery. i cant where any type of bra because they all ride up because there are not breasts to hold it down. im frustrated like alot of women i guess

• DanielaN
    DanielaN Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

thanks for mentioning this ! I have the same, bilateral mastectomy with lynphonodes removal left me looking like Frankstein on chest and armpits :( I m not going to do reconstruction, don't want to add anything in there, so I will have to live with the scars and weird armpits, but I hope in time things will get better, I had surgery on December 20 ....does anyone here decide like me against reconstruction ? thanks for sharing....<3

• Sarah127
    Sarah127 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I had my right breast removed 4 weeks ago and was also sure that my doctor messed me up. I have this huge bulge under my armpit that is so annoying. It's about the size of a golf ball. One of the nurses made very light of it calling it "just a dog ear"!

• conperry50
    Options

hi, im not getting reconstruction either. after this pain gets better i dont want to go through it again. i just have issues with finding a bra that will stay down and not ride up on my scar. i have gotten so many bras and none seem to work. i am overweight so that dont help matters any.i had a double mastectomy on march 16th. with lymph node removed from each armpit. the burning, numb and swollen feeling is awful. it feels like i have golf balls under the armpits. and they are swollen. my dr told me not to use my arms anymore than necessary. but we all know thats almost impossible. i just went back for my 4 week checkup and my dr said the same thing plus no lifting over 10 pounds basically rest as much as possible. and she said to keep the restriction till i go to an oncologist. my cancer was hormone related. and so they are going to want me tio take a pill that throws me into another menopause. ive already been through this in 2006. i had a lump that was hormone driven and they gave me radiation and put me on a pill that threw me into a mesopause. it was awful. i couldnt take those pills. and so here i am again. hope things start to get better for you.

• conperry50
    Options

if you had lymph nodes removed that's what can happen if you use your arms a lot. and it's pretty hard not too

i have this problem too and the more i use my arms the more they swell. ice and heat help. hope this helps you some

• rosecal
    rosecal Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hello conperry50,

I had lumpectomy in April 4, 2023 on my left breast and six lymph nodes removed. But I have that underarm feeling too. I have notice that in the morning is less swollen, by night time is considerable bigger. The muscle feels hard. Dr. removed two tumor 2cm below my nipple that part of my breast feels very hard and tender too. I tried to massage the area to loosen the tissue but is painful so I don't massage to much. I came in here to find out about the underarm issue and how long does it last. I'll be having reconstructive surgery soon. I'll ask the surgeon maybe he can help.