help-bras & seat beltd

ckmcclelland
ckmcclelland Member Posts: 47
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Guess this is a little problem compared to others but I finished radiation two months ago and still cannot wear a bra comfortably due to the burn that occurred under my arm. It's healed but still hurts. Also the car seat belt hurts my sore breast. Any suggestions? I know time is supposed to help but my healing seems so slow, I wonder if it's really healing.

Comments

• m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    for the seat belt, place a
    for the seat belt, place a soft bed pillow over your chest,under the seat belt. Thats what i did after my bilaterals for the 1st couple of weeks. Makes it so much more comfy and puts your mind at rest while travelling.

I've only worn a bra properly once since Feb 16th. And that was like wearing a mix of wire wool and loft insulation!!!! I did manage to wear a bra OVER a fitted vest top though one one occaision when i was going out and wanted a little shape.Sounds crazy but it was so nice to have a bust for the evening and not be fidgeting and itching!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    m-star said:

for the seat belt, place a
    for the seat belt, place a soft bed pillow over your chest,under the seat belt. Thats what i did after my bilaterals for the 1st couple of weeks. Makes it so much more comfy and puts your mind at rest while travelling.

I've only worn a bra properly once since Feb 16th. And that was like wearing a mix of wire wool and loft insulation!!!! I did manage to wear a bra OVER a fitted vest top though one one occaision when i was going out and wanted a little shape.Sounds crazy but it was so nice to have a bust for the evening and not be fidgeting and itching!

I agree with the pillow...
    You can often also find little pillows that just have a bit of stuffing, made special for we breast cancer survivors...

I also found a soft furry cover for my seat belt...still have it on, to this day...it slides up and down, so I can adjust to fit...it was at the 99cent only store...automotive section...

Hugs, Kathi
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    KathiM said:

I agree with the pillow...
    You can often also find little pillows that just have a bit of stuffing, made special for we breast cancer survivors...

I also found a soft furry cover for my seat belt...still have it on, to this day...it slides up and down, so I can adjust to fit...it was at the 99cent only store...automotive section...

Hugs, Kathi

Clips at Target
    They have a little seat belt clip at Target in the automotive section that allows you to adjust the seat belt up and down. I have seen the soft furry covers that Kathi mentioned. I am going to the 99¢ store today!

I think this is a common problem for all of us!

- Carrie
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

Clips at Target
    They have a little seat belt clip at Target in the automotive section that allows you to adjust the seat belt up and down. I have seen the soft furry covers that Kathi mentioned. I am going to the 99¢ store today!

- Carrie

I used the pillow for a
    I used the pillow for a while. I still have like a wool cover on the belt that I got at walmart. The belt still bothers my port so this helps. The clip is a good one. We use that on the kids so the belt does not run across there necks. I would never have thought of that.
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121
    Kat11 said:

I used the pillow for a
    I used the pillow for a while. I still have like a wool cover on the belt that I got at walmart. The belt still bothers my port so this helps. The clip is a good one. We use that on the kids so the belt does not run across there necks. I would never have thought of that.

I used a precious little
    I used a precious little heart pillow that the virginia Piper cancer center boutique gave to me. It kept the seat belt away from my chest for the first 3 months after my bilaterals- Jan 5th this year. I also used these under my arms when I slept, they provided comfort and kept me on my back. My 3 yr old grandgirl climbed in my bed the other day with those two heart pillows, tucked them under her arms and took a nap LOL. It was too cute. My 5 year old grandgirl finally stopped shoving them under my arms whenever i sat or laid down. Precious kiddoes! I still don't wear prothesis, just my camisoles. finally have stopped building up fluid but want to be sure it does not start again.
    Good Luck.
  • ckmcclelland

I used a precious little
    I used a precious little heart pillow that the virginia Piper cancer center boutique gave to me. It kept the seat belt away from my chest for the first 3 months after my bilaterals- Jan 5th this year. I also used these under my arms when I slept, they provided comfort and kept me on my back. My 3 yr old grandgirl climbed in my bed the other day with those two heart pillows, tucked them under her arms and took a nap LOL. It was too cute. My 5 year old grandgirl finally stopped shoving them under my arms whenever i sat or laid down. Precious kiddoes! I still don't wear prothesis, just my camisoles. finally have stopped building up fluid but want to be sure it does not start again.
    Good Luck.

So glad you were given a
    So glad you were given a heart pillow--you certainly deserved it! I read that someone said they thought at least I'm alive and can feel pain & I think that's a good way to think about it. I wasn't given anything like that or told where to buy it but my case was less serious. However, it's been more of a journey than I expected. I don't find my doctors, though they are very good, helpful with bra & pain problems. And neither is anyone is their office. I wish I'd discovered this sooner. My friend who counseled me all the way through is moving and I need support from women who have been through this.
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121

So glad you were given a
    So glad you were given a heart pillow--you certainly deserved it! I read that someone said they thought at least I'm alive and can feel pain & I think that's a good way to think about it. I wasn't given anything like that or told where to buy it but my case was less serious. However, it's been more of a journey than I expected. I don't find my doctors, though they are very good, helpful with bra & pain problems. And neither is anyone is their office. I wish I'd discovered this sooner. My friend who counseled me all the way through is moving and I need support from women who have been through this.

I think that no one is a
    I think that no one is a better support than those who have gone through the same thing..even though all of our cancers are different. My sister in law was just diagnosed and I am her go to person and so proud to be that! The people on this site are amazing and so wonderful in their response to others. I found this site before my surgery but just started posting recently.
    I agree the dr's do not know enough about the pain- I think because we all feel it so differently- I had that horrible skin pain for 2 months and was so glad went that finally settled down. I got my advice from blogs for helping that.
    Take Care CK.
  • ckmcclelland

Clips at Target

- Carrie

found the clip
    Thanks for the info. We drove 40 miles to a Target and found the clip. Looks like a big help. My husband doesn't understand why I need it on both sides of the car but my OK breast seems to have sympathetic pains (has anyone else experienced that) and not wearing a bra seems to leave it more sensitive.
  • katznc
    katznc Member Posts: 70

found the clip
    Thanks for the info. We drove 40 miles to a Target and found the clip. Looks like a big help. My husband doesn't understand why I need it on both sides of the car but my OK breast seems to have sympathetic pains (has anyone else experienced that) and not wearing a bra seems to leave it more sensitive.

I had sympathy pains and Wachoal bra 85226
    LOL I had sympathy pains in my left breast after having a right mast. My surgeon who is wonderful looked at me like I was nuts and said no she had not heard that before. Maybe no one wants to mention it.

I have been a Wachoal bra fan for 10 years and had 85226 in my drawer and that was the only bra I could wear after my mast. It isn't cotton and its sorta looks like a sports bra but it is soft and forgiving. I bought 2 mast bras and I am still wearing the 85226 and even bought a new one and put a pocket in it. Go to the wachoal site and it names the places on line. freshpair.com even had free shipping and they are a good site.
  • 1maladywcancer
    1maladywcancer Member Posts: 6
    seat belt
    you can get pads for the seat belt and that helps alot. I had the same thing, when I wore a seat belt. you also can put a small pillow between you and the seat belt.
    It will get better.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

found the clip

Glad you were able to get
    Glad you were able to get the clip. You might also check out the TLC store here on ACS. They offer a lot of bras and information too. Good luck!

Sue :)
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    After my wire localization
    After my wire localization and lumpectomy, my breast could have been pretty sore, but it was kinda numb. They gave me a stuffed bear after the wire loc and I said, awwww. But the nurse said, very matter of factly, "It's to keep the seatbelt off your incision on the way home." I'd felt very abused by pretty much every health care practitioner through all this, particularly the radiologist who did the stereotactic core needle biopsy, so I was looking for some 'softness' from someone. It wasn't going to come from that nurse, I guess. So I used it on the way home (It looks like he's hugging your breast) and gave it away to the Salvation Army (it was a nice bear!) as soon as I could. Now, almost a year later, I wish I still had it. The seatbelt strap hurts, even today.
    ~~Connie~~
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    crselby said:

After my wire localization
    After my wire localization and lumpectomy, my breast could have been pretty sore, but it was kinda numb. They gave me a stuffed bear after the wire loc and I said, awwww. But the nurse said, very matter of factly, "It's to keep the seatbelt off your incision on the way home." I'd felt very abused by pretty much every health care practitioner through all this, particularly the radiologist who did the stereotactic core needle biopsy, so I was looking for some 'softness' from someone. It wasn't going to come from that nurse, I guess. So I used it on the way home (It looks like he's hugging your breast) and gave it away to the Salvation Army (it was a nice bear!) as soon as I could. Now, almost a year later, I wish I still had it. The seatbelt strap hurts, even today.
    ~~Connie~~

What a great gift Connie and
    What a great gift Connie and a great story. Thanks!
  • ckmcclelland
    DebbyM said:

What a great gift Connie and
    What a great gift Connie and a great story. Thanks!

breast bear
    I think we could all use a bear like that!

Colleen
  • ckmcclelland
    Ritzy said:

Glad you were able to get
    Glad you were able to get the clip. You might also check out the TLC store here on ACS. They offer a lot of bras and information too. Good luck!

Sue :)

TLC bras
    My bras are from TLC at ACS. They still are not comfortable for me because they come up right to my sore underarm area.

Colleen
  • ckmcclelland

seat belt
    you can get pads for the seat belt and that helps alot. I had the same thing, when I wore a seat belt. you also can put a small pillow between you and the seat belt.
    It will get better.

pads & pillows
    I've used the pads and pillows. Guess I just need to toughen up.