anybody else feel stuck?

ms_independent
ms_independent Member Posts: 214
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am "cancer-free" so really don't have anything big to complain about. My last surgery (ovaries removed) was 2 1/2 weeks ago. But, I knew I was cancer-free after the pathology report following the bilat mastectomy in mid december. My expander to implant exchange was in mid march. I just feel like I can't get on with my life. It's as if I'm waiting for something else to happen. I feel like I should give up the "cancer girl" roll but, can't seem to feel like I can move on. I tell myself I've been through a lot and to give it time. But, I'm beginning to feel like I've given it enough time and don't know how to get un-stuck. Any suggestions?

Thanks, El

Comments

• Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    I think you need to give
    I think you need to give yourself a break. You had surgery only 2 1/2 weeks ago, and just starting to heal from that. I don't think there is a set time line for what you've been through. All my docs and nurses say it takes a year from the end of a treatment to feel "normal" so don't worry about it unless you still feel this way next year at this time.

Take a deep breath
    Sher
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    A 'tincture of time' is the best medicine...
    Your feelings are normal...and your life truly was put on 'pause' when you heard those 3 nasty words...

It takes more time that just a few months, El, to restore your confidence in your future. It was dashed when you were diagnosed, and then you were so busy fighting that you had no time to think about it.

I went out and invested in my future at about the point you are at: I bought a new living room set! I had put everything on hold before this, and this purchase signaled that I was confident that I would be around to enjoy the new set! Now, 4 years later, I'm still here, still cancer free on both my cancers (rectal followed 6 months later by breast), and I'm rather protective of my life...after all, I fought so hard to keep it, I'm darn well going to enjoy it to the hilt!!!

Patience, dear warrior, from a been there/done that gal!

Hugs, Kathi
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Give yourself a break, indeed!!
    El, if I'm reading your profile right, you've relocated AND had 3 surgeries, one of which was only a few weeks ago, all in the past 6 MONTHS!!

Good heavens, girl, if I were you, I'd be stuck all right -- stuck on the couch with a good supply of Ben & Jerry's and my favorite movies, and someone on call to come give me foot massages whenever I wanted them!

The fact that you know you're cancer-free, while cause for celebration, is not the point -- your body and your spirit need a lot more time to heal than you may want to give them.

Traci
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    TraciInLA said:

Give yourself a break, indeed!!
    El, if I'm reading your profile right, you've relocated AND had 3 surgeries, one of which was only a few weeks ago, all in the past 6 MONTHS!!

Good heavens, girl, if I were you, I'd be stuck all right -- stuck on the couch with a good supply of Ben & Jerry's and my favorite movies, and someone on call to come give me foot massages whenever I wanted them!

The fact that you know you're cancer-free, while cause for celebration, is not the point -- your body and your spirit need a lot more time to heal than you may want to give them.

Traci

I'm already thinking about what you're going through...
    With only 3 rads left, I'm wondering if I'll be consumed with all of this crap I've been doing for the past year. SO, I plan on getting off my butt and doing as much as I can with whatever is left of this life! Heading to Cali for June, then Costa Rica for July. Grabbing my daughter and a camera and planning on "shooting" as much of this life that I love as I can. I'll put a link on here for anyone who wants to go with me in cyber life!
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Mama G said:

I'm already thinking about what you're going through...
    With only 3 rads left, I'm wondering if I'll be consumed with all of this crap I've been doing for the past year. SO, I plan on getting off my butt and doing as much as I can with whatever is left of this life! Heading to Cali for June, then Costa Rica for July. Grabbing my daughter and a camera and planning on "shooting" as much of this life that I love as I can. I'll put a link on here for anyone who wants to go with me in cyber life!

Wow I never thought of it. I
    Wow I never thought of it. I in the past year looked at moving forward as moving into another form of treatment. Moving on to the next step. Now your right, I need to move into the future.
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    thanks
    Thanks everybody for your kind and supportive replies. I think part of my problem is I feel guilty for not having to go through chemo and/or radiation. Therefore; I think I should beat myself up about something.

I will try to give myself a break and relax for a while. I hadn't heard to give it a year before getting back to "normal" (whatever that is). That helps to take the pressure off. I really like the Ben & Jerry's idea :) And we do have an amazing vacation planned beginning late july (2 week cruise to the baltic region). So, I guess I'm not totally stuck.

Thanks again, El