stage 4 Adenocarcinoma Lung Cancer

sammigirl2215
sammigirl2215 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Hi,
I am 54 and I had a chest x-ray in October 2009 which showed nothing,I had a cronic cough and started coughing up blood in December of 2009. February I was told I had stage 4 non-small cell adenocarcinoma lung cancer. I don't know if the radiologist missed it in October or if it grows that fast. I had 25 treatments of radiation and 5 weeks of chemo. I just had a ct scan of the abdomin and lungs today.
The doctor hasn't really given me my prognosis yet, but from what I have been reading it sounds like I have about a year. I just don't understand is it a year from when I started coughing or from when I started treatment.I have nothing else wrong with me besides the cancer. This might sound like a strange question, I just am not getting any answers. If someone could help I would be very grateful. Also how do you come to terms with this.

Comments

• Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Sammigirl
    Tumors don't always show up on x-rays. I had symptoms similar to yours, chronic cough, coughing up blood, but I also had ear and throat pain. The doctors had x-rays done which showed nothing so they did a CT scan which detected the cancer.

Please do not go by the statistics you read, there are many survivors here who have stage 4 and are doing fine. The statistics you are reading are outdated. You have to remain positive, just because you have stage 4 does not mean you are going to die in a year. With the treatments they have now you could be around for many, many years.

Please post again to let us know the results of your scan. I have NSCLC in my left lung and SCC cancer of the larynx. I just had my second scan of my lung and they can't find the tumor anymore, if it's there it's hiding behind scar tissue ;-)

Many of us automatically think a diagnosis of cancer is an automatic death sentence - IT'S NOT.

Stay strong and think positive,

Glenna
  • LaurelC29
    LaurelC29 Member Posts: 3
    You ask some good questions
    You ask some good questions but there really isn't definitive answers, I don't think any one knows. Doctors just follow chemo directions and hope for the best. Coming to terms with this, if you figure it out let me know.