curry, anyone?

Options
nancy591
nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
This posted today on ovariancancer.org

http://www.ovariancancer.org/2010/04/30/curry-spice-aids-cancer-treatment/

can't hurt to try but I don't know any recipies.

Curry spice 'aids cancer treatment'
(UKPA) – 1 day ago

A curry spice ingredient can make ovarian cancer more responsive to treatment, scientists have shown.

Researchers pre-treated ovarian tumours with curcumin, a component of the yellow spice turmeric, delivered in the form of microscopic "nanoparticles".

The curcumin sensitised the cancer tissue, making it more vulnerable to chemotherapy and radiation treatment.

Study leader Dr Subhash Chauhan, from the University of South Dakota, US, said: "One strategy to improve the effectiveness and limit the toxicity of cancer therapy is to induce chemo/radio-sensitisation in cancer cells using natural dietary phytochemicals like curcumin. However, curcumin is poorly absorbed by the body, which limits its effectiveness.

"We have developed a nanoparticle formulation, Nano-CUR, to provide increased bioavailability as well as targeted delivery of curcumin into tumours."

The curcumin formulation was tested on therapy-resistant ovarian cancer cells in the laboratory.

Pre-treatment was found to lower the doses of treatment needed to suppress their growth.

The findings were published online in the Journal of Ovarian Research.

Dr Chauhan said: "Nanoparticle mediated curcumin delivery will further improve the sensitisation and therapeutic capabilities. This study demonstrates a novel pre-treatment strategy that could be implemented in pre-clinical animal models and in future clinical trials."

Comments

• kathryn1
    kathryn1 Member Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    curry
    Hi,
    This is a web site with lots of recipes, and you can look up ingredients or flavors.
    Here is the curry page.....
    http://www.grouprecipes.com/searchflavors/?flavor=curry&keywords=keywords
    Enjoy! Kathryn
  • upsofloating
    upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Nancy
    I have heard quite a

Nancy
    I have heard quite a bit about positive effect of curcumin on cancer cells, however, when I started on Doxil my research also found curcumin interferes with effectiveness of Doxil. Just an fyi, although you have mentioned you may be changing to another agent.
    Take care, Annie
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

Nancy
    I have heard quite a

Nancy
    I have heard quite a bit about positive effect of curcumin on cancer cells, however, when I started on Doxil my research also found curcumin interferes with effectiveness of Doxil. Just an fyi, although you have mentioned you may be changing to another agent.
    Take care, Annie

Curry - mmmmm
    Im just love curries and never stopped eating them during chemo. Turmeric is a yellow powder and can be added to rice as you boil it. It is very very slightly spicy and really improves the flavour of boiled rice.

If any of you would like curry recipes just ask:)

Tina xx
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Options
    Hi Nancy,
    Curry...sounds

Hi Nancy,

Curry...sounds good to me.

Thank you so much for the info. I am making tracks now to read up a bit more on this article and after that; straight to my health-food store.

Thanks again,

Sharon