Radiation Therapy

Options
Duane61
Duane61 Member Posts: 29
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
I have finished chemo three weeks ago and now I am being told Radiation Therapy is the next step to reduce the chance of EC coming back. Doctor is telling me 5 1/2 weeks of radiation 5 days a week is what I need. I need input as to what to expect from radiation and any input on side effects would be greatly appreciated.One more step to fighting this thing.

Thank you,

Duane61

Comments

• Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Radiation
    Hi Duane!
    Glad to see your post. Congratulations on completing the chemo! My dad did both chemo and radiation at the same time, but everyone is treated different. That is correct, the radiation will be 5 days a week for 5 to 6 weeks. Dad did not have any side effects, other than being tired from the radiation. Best of luck to you and keep us updated. Hugs and prayers to you.
    Tina
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Pghmomma
    Pghmomma Member Posts: 141
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Williama
    I couldnt agree more with you.

You know my father and you had the same suergon and he did not do chemo first and said it wasnt really needed. Him being a stage III he wanted the tumor OUT. After that was out he said to just do the chemo clean up and radition they were unsure of but will talk about it after the chemo treatments. His chemo ended and he was cancer free and didnt need any radition because he was cancer free, you can only radiate that area once why risk it was their take on it.

REally think about it!

tina
  • Duane61
    Duane61 Member Posts: 29
    Options

Radiation
    Hi Duane!
    Glad to see your post. Congratulations on completing the chemo! My dad did both chemo and radiation at the same time, but everyone is treated different. That is correct, the radiation will be 5 days a week for 5 to 6 weeks. Dad did not have any side effects, other than being tired from the radiation. Best of luck to you and keep us updated. Hugs and prayers to you.
    Tina

Post surgery?
    Tina,

Was your Dad's radiation post-surgery? I had tumor/part of stomach/part of espohogus removed by surgery then did chemo.

Thanks,

Duane
  • Tina Blondek
    Options
    Duane61 said:

Post surgery?
    Tina,

Was your Dad's radiation post-surgery? I had tumor/part of stomach/part of espohogus removed by surgery then did chemo.

Thanks,

Duane

Hi Duane,
    No, my dad did not

Hi Duane,
    No, my dad did not have surgery. He was not a candidate. He had 5 bypass in 94, his age, they did not want to take the risk. The combo of radiation and chemo shrunk the tumor down to almost nothing. It was when he got the mets to his liver that the trouble started. I do agree with the others, why is radiation necessary if you have had the surgery to remove the tumor? What will they be radiating? Good luck with your decision. Keep in touch.
    Tina
  • Tina Blondek
    Options
    Duane61 said:

Post surgery?
    Tina,

Thanks,

Duane

Hi Duane,
    No, my dad did not

Hi Duane,
    No, my dad did not have surgery. He was not a candidate. He had 5 bypass in 94, his age, they did not want to take the risk. The combo of radiation and chemo shrunk the tumor down to almost nothing. It was when he got the mets to his liver that the trouble started. I do agree with the others, why is radiation necessary if you have had the surgery to remove the tumor? What will they be radiating? Good luck with your decision. Keep in touch.
    Tina