Pathology Report From Tumor Different From Initial Biopsy

Options
Hubby
Hubby Member Posts: 325
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just came back from the follow up meeting with my wife's surgeon. The pathology report is now estrogen and progesterone negative,when the initial pathology report said 50% positive for estrogen and 3% positive for progesterone; both reports said HER2 negative. Has this happened to anyone else. My wife is terrified of chemo; and oncologist appointment is still two weeks away, so we don't know for sure, but it looks like it may be chemo. She went to a friends house, who just finished with radiation, to talk. There was a lot of good news in the report; clear margins and node negative, but the bad news crushes her spirits.

Comments

• BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    Has she had an Onca Type dx done????
    Has she had an Onca Type dx done???? I had several different results for my Her2nu status. The Onca Type dx test is actually done on the tumor itsself after surgery. The Onca Type test is used for many different markers. It includes Her2, ER, PR and ther is a score that they give you which will help determin the potential for the cancer to return. If the score is high, more that likely your wife will have chemo.

I was told I would not have to have chemo and then two weeks later was told that I would, because of the results of this test.

Sending Hugs

Donna
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options

Has she had an Onca Type dx done????
    Has she had an Onca Type dx done???? I had several different results for my Her2nu status. The Onca Type dx test is actually done on the tumor itsself after surgery. The Onca Type test is used for many different markers. It includes Her2, ER, PR and ther is a score that they give you which will help determin the potential for the cancer to return. If the score is high, more that likely your wife will have chemo.

I was told I would not have to have chemo and then two weeks later was told that I would, because of the results of this test.

Sending Hugs

Donna

I agree
    She should get the tumor re-tested to make certain of the pathology. The oncotype is a good idea because its assessment of ER/PR status is considered more accurate than IHC staining, which is probably what your wife had. I have the same pathology as her and it's not necessarily bad news. Node negative and clear margins are great news. If she is ER/PR negative, chances are that chemo is in the cards for her. It's definitely not as bad as she fears, though. I promise. It's not an easy journey you've started on, but you'll both get thorugh this.

Mimi
  • Hubby
    Options
    mimivac said:

I agree
    She should get the tumor re-tested to make certain of the pathology. The oncotype is a good idea because its assessment of ER/PR status is considered more accurate than IHC staining, which is probably what your wife had. I have the same pathology as her and it's not necessarily bad news. Node negative and clear margins are great news. If she is ER/PR negative, chances are that chemo is in the cards for her. It's definitely not as bad as she fears, though. I promise. It's not an easy journey you've started on, but you'll both get thorugh this.

Mimi

Thanks
    She actually signed a release form to have the oncotype performed, although the surgeon was going to contact the oncologist and pathologist and get their input first; she seemed puzzled by the change, but not very concerned. I keep telling my wife that I'll get her through this.

We are going to Sloan, so I feel like we are getting the best care, but they just talk about chemo in such a matter of fact way, that you come out of the appointment and feel like you just got punched in the stomach.

But she did tell my wife "You're going to be fine."
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Options
    It is certainly possible
    For the pathology from the biopsy to be different from the actual tumor biopsy. A lot of it depends on what type of biopsy is done and how much tissue is removed. From what I have heard from my oncologist, fine needle biopsies gather the least amount of tumor. I have heard of several cases where initial biopsies were negative and the docs were still concerned, repeated the tests with more excision, and they positive for cancer. And one patient whose fine needle biopsy was positive and when they took out the mass, it was negative.

I had a core needle biopsy and although my ER/PR and Heu didn't change, my grading did. My onc explained that you just don't have the final details until they can look at the whole thing.

Congrats on the good news - even if chemo is in the future, that is still a great positive to celebrate!
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Chemo is easier than it used to be
    Chemo is not like it used to be -- so devastatingly nauseating. Now, we are given anti-nausea medicines before the chemo infusions and prescriptions for at-home meds, too. I think that few people today are wracked with nausea like in the past. And, doctors keep on top of treating any other side effects, like mouth sores, that might appear.

Of course, hair loss is upsetting, more so to some women than others. But it is temporary, and great wigs and other headcoverings are readily available.

You are so right about your wife's good news about margins and nodes! She has YOU, too, and that's great news. I love that you wrote here about her situation. She's fortunate to have your support.
  • Hubby
    Options

Chemo is easier than it used to be
    Chemo is not like it used to be -- so devastatingly nauseating. Now, we are given anti-nausea medicines before the chemo infusions and prescriptions for at-home meds, too. I think that few people today are wracked with nausea like in the past. And, doctors keep on top of treating any other side effects, like mouth sores, that might appear.

Of course, hair loss is upsetting, more so to some women than others. But it is temporary, and great wigs and other headcoverings are readily available.

You are so right about your wife's good news about margins and nodes! She has YOU, too, and that's great news. I love that you wrote here about her situation. She's fortunate to have your support.

Thanks for the Kind Words
    It was quite the emotional weekend at my house. The rollercoaster ride continues. Not much of an update yet except we know that Sloan requested slides from the initial pathologist.

My wife is extra worried that she may be triple negative, but I relayed a story of a woman I know through work that is ten years after chemo without reaccurence; triple negative (although they didn't call it that ten years ago), and that made my wife (and me)feel a little better.

I started posting here, because I need get all of these thoughts and frustrations out of my head. My brain is fried, I don't know what happened to April, and if I don't stay mentally strong, I won't be much help to my wife.
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Options
    Hubby said:

Thanks for the Kind Words
    It was quite the emotional weekend at my house. The rollercoaster ride continues. Not much of an update yet except we know that Sloan requested slides from the initial pathologist.

My wife is extra worried that she may be triple negative, but I relayed a story of a woman I know through work that is ten years after chemo without reaccurence; triple negative (although they didn't call it that ten years ago), and that made my wife (and me)feel a little better.

I started posting here, because I need get all of these thoughts and frustrations out of my head. My brain is fried, I don't know what happened to April, and if I don't stay mentally strong, I won't be much help to my wife.

Welcome Back
    Welcome back Hubby, I am not triple negative, but I just wanted you to know I am so sorry for you and your wife having to deal with this diagnosis (or sort of diagnosis).

I am glad to see the men on this board, my own Hubby is supportive, but deals with this in his own way. Please stay positive, we are all there for you!

Hugs - Carrie