Store Security Alarms/Expanders

Dot53
Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello Everyone...

I know we talked about this subject in another thread a while back and some girls said that it doesn't happen but I wanted to let you know about my experiences. When I traveled two weeks ago I did not set off the alarms at the airport, however, I have set them off in the following three stores upon exiting...

Ann Taylor
Bon-Ton
Home Depot

Each time it happens I go back in and an associate double checks my bags and makes sure that the inventory alarms have been taken off and then of course when I attempt to leave the alarms go off again..... I usually end up telling them I have a metal device inside me that is setting the alarms off but today in Home Depot there were a few men around watching and listening and it was very embarrassing...

Of course it is embarrassing to have anyone think that I might be stealing something too.

I guess their alarm systems must be super sensitive or something..

Has anyone else experienced this while going through reconstruction?

Dot

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    oh my
    That sounds very annoying, Dot. I guess you could think up a stock response to give these store personnel. Once they look through your bags, they shouldn't question you further. They are not police and cannot under any circumstances touch or detain you unless they've found actual stolen goods on you. Also, unless the alarm goes off, you are not required to open your bags as you leave the store just because they ask you to. Best Buy had a policy of asking everyone to open their bags as they left the store. I would always say "no thanks" and walk out.
  • Dot53
    mimivac said:

oh my
    That sounds very annoying, Dot. I guess you could think up a stock response to give these store personnel. Once they look through your bags, they shouldn't question you further. They are not police and cannot under any circumstances touch or detain you unless they've found actual stolen goods on you. Also, unless the alarm goes off, you are not required to open your bags as you leave the store just because they ask you to. Best Buy had a policy of asking everyone to open their bags as they left the store. I would always say "no thanks" and walk out.

That's good to know Mimi..
    That's good to know Mimi.. last week in Bon-Ton after waiting in line to check out I went to leave the store and of course the alarm went off. The cashier called me back to the register where there was a long line of customers. They made me wait off to the side until they could find another associate who could come and check my bags... it was very annoying to say the least..

I didn't know that you could refuse to let them check your bags...
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    Dot53 said:

That's good to know Mimi..
    That's good to know Mimi.. last week in Bon-Ton after waiting in line to check out I went to leave the store and of course the alarm went off. The cashier called me back to the register where there was a long line of customers. They made me wait off to the side until they could find another associate who could come and check my bags... it was very annoying to say the least..

I didn't know that you could refuse to let them check your bags...

You can if they have no reason to suspect you.
    For instance if they just want to check your bags as you leave the store for no reason. However, if the alarm sounds I think that's considered resonable cause to search your bags, so you might have to relent on that one....

Mimi
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Oh my, too
    I have not heard of that - at least now if it happens, I will know what the problem is. How embarassing.

Thanks for the heads up!
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441

Oh my, too
    I have not heard of that - at least now if it happens, I will know what the problem is. How embarassing.

Thanks for the heads up!

oh my goodness!! ha ha!
    I

oh my goodness!! ha ha!
    I never even thought about that! i have been in many stores up to now and no alarms have gone off but i fly to Portugal in June and i will still have my expanders in!!
    I will laugh SOOOOOOOOOO much if i set the alarm off!!!!!! LMAO!!

My hubby will be jealous as he is full of titanium down 1 side from a bad motorbike accident 12 yrs ago and he always wanted to set the airport alarms off,but never does! Guess titanium doesn't trigger it **chuckles**

OMG! i wanna go find a magnet now too to see if it sticks to my boob! lol

Why oh why did i read the thread??? I will be trying all sorts now! =D
  • Dot53
    m-star said:

oh my goodness!! ha ha!
    I

oh my goodness!! ha ha!
    I never even thought about that! i have been in many stores up to now and no alarms have gone off but i fly to Portugal in June and i will still have my expanders in!!
    I will laugh SOOOOOOOOOO much if i set the alarm off!!!!!! LMAO!!

My hubby will be jealous as he is full of titanium down 1 side from a bad motorbike accident 12 yrs ago and he always wanted to set the airport alarms off,but never does! Guess titanium doesn't trigger it **chuckles**

OMG! i wanna go find a magnet now too to see if it sticks to my boob! lol

Why oh why did i read the thread??? I will be trying all sorts now! =D

M-star
    You are too funny.... what a way to put a spin on things... I can see the humor in the situation... my husband is a big joker and if he were with me when it happened he would be the first to shout "STOP THIEF'.... then I would have to choke him....hahaha...

Dot
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Dot53 said:

M-star
    You are too funny.... what a way to put a spin on things... I can see the humor in the situation... my husband is a big joker and if he were with me when it happened he would be the first to shout "STOP THIEF'.... then I would have to choke him....hahaha...

Dot

Thanks M-Star for showing
    Thanks M-Star for showing the humor in this situation. Dot I'm glad you can let the humor in. Many times in the past year I've made jokes about my treatments and what I've endured. Humor really does get you through it alittle easier.

Good luck and the next store.
    Sher
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Never have,
    but yes,how embarrassing for you-I am sorry about that Dot!
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Airport security
    Years ago, my mom traveled a lot after getting implants. In the airport in Kenyan, a female security officer patted her down. Feeling mom's very firm implants, the officer barked, "What are these?!" Mom replied, "They're ME." In a private room, the officer had mom remove her clothes and was dumbstruck at her perky breasts. Luckily, mom thought it all very funny.

I have wondered what airport x-ray scanners will make of our expanders and implants. Actually, implants are so common that I'm sure the scanners will be trained to know we're not all "implant bombers."
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Dot53 said:

M-star

Dot

I didn't know this either.
    I didn't know this either. I am sorry that it happened to you. Could your oncologist or PS give you some type of card or letter to carry, so that you could just show that if it happens again?
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441

Airport security
    Years ago, my mom traveled a lot after getting implants. In the airport in Kenyan, a female security officer patted her down. Feeling mom's very firm implants, the officer barked, "What are these?!" Mom replied, "They're ME." In a private room, the officer had mom remove her clothes and was dumbstruck at her perky breasts. Luckily, mom thought it all very funny.

I have wondered what airport x-ray scanners will make of our expanders and implants. Actually, implants are so common that I'm sure the scanners will be trained to know we're not all "implant bombers."

lol well i'm sat here a
    lol well i'm sat here a little disappointed!!
    i went straight off here earlier,into the kitchen, whipped off a fridge magnet and proceeded to try and make it stay on my boob!!
    It didn't work! =(

Now im wondering if the port in the expander contains the magnet?! Gonna try a tin can tomorrow just to see =D WHAT A PARTY TRICK THAT WOULD BE!! HA HA

I was already excited about going on holiday but now i cant wait! Can you imagine if they wave that 'wand' scanner around over me and it starts squealing when they pass it over my boobies?

I wonder if you have to declare them as liquids at the check-in desk??
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441
    m-star said:

lol well i'm sat here a
    lol well i'm sat here a little disappointed!!
    i went straight off here earlier,into the kitchen, whipped off a fridge magnet and proceeded to try and make it stay on my boob!!
    It didn't work! =(

Now im wondering if the port in the expander contains the magnet?! Gonna try a tin can tomorrow just to see =D WHAT A PARTY TRICK THAT WOULD BE!! HA HA

I was already excited about going on holiday but now i cant wait! Can you imagine if they wave that 'wand' scanner around over me and it starts squealing when they pass it over my boobies?

I wonder if you have to declare them as liquids at the check-in desk??

ziploc bags
    At least they are enclosed in a clear plastic bag! (Maybe not a Ziploc bag, but...) :-D
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Airport security

I always wondered if the
    I always wondered if the titanium marker they put in me would set an alarm off. But, they removed it with the tumor when I had my lumpectomy.
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    i didn't have a problem
    I never set off any store alarms with my expanders. And I had no problem with airport security. I did see an article about women smuggling stuff (as well as explosives) in their implants. Now wouldn't that security search be interesting..........:)

Hugs, El