Thanks for all the great information and references!!!

paul61
paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Thank you for all the great information and references!!!!

It is good to know that my symptoms post surgery are "typical" and improve with time.

In answer to some of the questions:

I am 61 years old. I did not have chemo prior to surgery because my EUS showed staging of T2N0M0 but when the surgical material was sent to pathology they found abnormal cells in one of the 20 lymph nodes they removed. Bummer!!! They then decided I was really T2N1M0. So I am now going through adjuvant chemotherapy.

I am fortunate to have support from my wonderful wife. My challenges have affected her as much as me because she if the one that has been trapped in the house with me for the last five months, going out primarily for medical appointments and grocery shopping. She is a real trooper and never complains.

I have not had any esophageal stretching and so far have not noticed any difficulty swallowing but I must admit I tend to avoid foods that are difficult to chew or very dry and difficult to swallow.

We live in a retirement community in McCormick, South Carolina (about 35 miles north of Augusta, Ga). I had my surgery in Charleston, SC at University of South Carolina (Dr Carolyn Reed did the surgery).

Again, thanks so much for the great information and positive encouragement!!!

Paul

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Chemo after Surgery??
    Bill,

I am curious. Did you have chemo after surgery? I ask the question because my surgeon and my oncologist do not agree on how much chemo is required. My surgeon says three rounds in good, four rounds is excellent, and anything beyond that is looking for a guarantee. My oncologist says six rounds are required. I know all patients are different and I am inclined to go with my oncologist for "safety" reasons but the chemo is not without side effects (in my case most significantly diarrhea and weight loss) and I would love to be done.

I had a CT scan this week and it came back "normal" so that is good, but I also know this is my first post-op CT scan and the first of many to come.

I read with great interest the discussion thread about the value of post operative radiation treatments.

It is a difficult decision to make. I guess at the end of the day all we can do is gather the best information we can. Pray and ask God for guidance and then decide.

Best Regards

Paul Adams
    AKA paul61

McCormick, South Carolina
  • K_ann1015
    K_ann1015 Member Posts: 500
    paul61 said:

Chemo after Surgery??
    Bill,

I am curious. Did you have chemo after surgery? I ask the question because my surgeon and my oncologist do not agree on how much chemo is required. My surgeon says three rounds in good, four rounds is excellent, and anything beyond that is looking for a guarantee. My oncologist says six rounds are required. I know all patients are different and I am inclined to go with my oncologist for "safety" reasons but the chemo is not without side effects (in my case most significantly diarrhea and weight loss) and I would love to be done.

I had a CT scan this week and it came back "normal" so that is good, but I also know this is my first post-op CT scan and the first of many to come.

I read with great interest the discussion thread about the value of post operative radiation treatments.

It is a difficult decision to make. I guess at the end of the day all we can do is gather the best information we can. Pray and ask God for guidance and then decide.

Best Regards

Paul Adams
    AKA paul61

McCormick, South Carolina

my dad is in your same boat
    Hi Paul,
    My Dad had to go thru this decision making as well. The surgeon (Duke) did not think he needed post op chemo--he thought that the slight light areas near the surgery area on the PET were due to the surgery. The oncologist wanted to make sure...SO he is on his third round of xeloda. HE has lost a little weight but really can't afford too and does have the diarrhea issue sometimes. He has to work at eating every 2 hours---to keep from loosing more weight. I am glad he is tolerating it so well and if one is able to handle it, I can't imagine doing what a trusted oncologist recommends.....Better safe than sorry! My dad's post op chemo is only 1 agent compared to 3 he had before surgery---so that is probably why he is tolerating it better. I also agree--all you can do is to try to get good information pray, ask for gudance, wisdom & patience---and all will fall into place.
    Prayers to you for the best recovery & treatment & God's loving "guidance" in these difficult decisions!
    Kim