SIL has breast cancer

Options
Third_Generation
Third_Generation Member Posts: 121
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My SIL (sister in law) has breast cancer. I think I am more upset about hers than I was about mine. I am third generation breast cancer and have been monitored for years..had bilaterals this January.. carcinoma in situ on left side. She has no family history of breast cancer and was so shocked. Also, does not have the family support system I have. She lives with one of her grandchildren and is still working at 69 yrs of age. My husband and I have offered to have her over at our house for recovery but she understandably would rather be home. She has stage 1 and they are doing a lumpectomy. I presume that will be followed with radiation. Would love to have prayers and good thoughts sent her way - her surgery is next Thursday. Thank you.

Comments

• jphilpo
    jphilpo Member Posts: 177
    Options
    SIL
    I am so sorry for your sister in law. Please let her know that I and others like me , are praying for her and wishing her the best. Also, what a wonderful sister in law you are. She is already blessed by having you in her life! Take care
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    jphilpo said:

SIL
    I am so sorry for your sister in law. Please let her know that I and others like me , are praying for her and wishing her the best. Also, what a wonderful sister in law you are. She is already blessed by having you in her life! Take care

Sending prayers for you and
    Sending prayers for you and your sister in law!
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Options
    So Sorry
    Sorry to hear that your sister in law has breast cancer. I have no doubt that having someone in her life who has already been down that path with help give her strength. Hopes and prayers coming from here!

Chris
  • Third_Generation
    Options

So Sorry
    Sorry to hear that your sister in law has breast cancer. I have no doubt that having someone in her life who has already been down that path with help give her strength. Hopes and prayers coming from here!

Chris

my SIL just got word she has
    my SIL just got word she has cancer in her right breast also. so now they have to biopsy that side ..afraid that is going to put her surgery off until all is replanned..and we all know how hard it is to wait. Thank you for all of our kind words and prayers.
  • Third_Generation
    Options

my SIL just got word she has
    my SIL just got word she has cancer in her right breast also. so now they have to biopsy that side ..afraid that is going to put her surgery off until all is replanned..and we all know how hard it is to wait. Thank you for all of our kind words and prayers.

Today is the day my SIL has
    Today is the day my SIL has her surgery. Lumpectomies on left and right. She says they are putting wires in first...not sure what that means... then checking the sentinal nodes...then the surgery. I am hoping that all goes well and she has minimal discomfort afterwards. I do not know that much about lumpectomies. She wants to be able to get back to work immediately as she needs the income. I know worry is like a rocking chair, but can't help it!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options

Today is the day my SIL has her surgery. Lumpectomies on left and right. She says they are putting wires in first...not sure what that means... then checking the sentinal nodes...then the surgery. I am hoping that all goes well and she has minimal discomfort afterwards. I do not know that much about lumpectomies. She wants to be able to get back to work immediately as she needs the income. I know worry is like a rocking chair, but can't help it!

Hi, Third Generation. I'll
    Hi, Third Generation. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for your sister-in-law and hoping for a speedy recovery. I had a lumpectomy on the left side and was off work for a week. I actually could have come back to work sooner but wanted to give my body the full opportunity to heal itself. I never took any of the pain meds but did sleep once I got home. My surgery was out patient and I was home by early afternoon. Let us know how your SIL does. Good luck!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

They put wires in to mark
    They put wires in to mark where the tumor is for the surgeon. That is very common to have that done prior to the actual surgery. They do an ultrasound that shows the tech where to insert them. It won't hurt. They numb you first. I had one sticking out of me. I would think she would need a few days off after the surgery before returning to work, maybe a week. But, we all are different. Prayers and hugs to your sister! Keep us updated.

Sue :)
  • Third_Generation
    Options
    Ritzy said:

They put wires in to mark
    They put wires in to mark where the tumor is for the surgeon. That is very common to have that done prior to the actual surgery. They do an ultrasound that shows the tech where to insert them. It won't hurt. They numb you first. I had one sticking out of me. I would think she would need a few days off after the surgery before returning to work, maybe a week. But, we all are different. Prayers and hugs to your sister! Keep us updated.

My favorite SIL had her
    My favorite SIL had her surgery and is at home now. The doctor said they will have the final results next week. I asked about the surrounding tissue and Doctor said she could not be sure of course, but things did look good. I am so hoping for good results for my SIL. Two of her friends were at the hospital also, and on brought her and stayed all day from 8:30 am until almost 5 pm. Long day for them!
    Ritzy, thanks for the info on the wires. I had a lumpectomy (benign) about 18 years ago and they marked me with a magic marker LOL and there was not sentinal node checks then. I was telling her friends that I still had a space where the cyst was taken out and went to touch the spot on my left breast...burst out laughing... no breast is there! 'o) So, I no longer have an empty space were it was taken out.. LOL. right?
    Will let you all know when the final results come in.
    Have a wonderful Friday!
  • Third_Generation
    Options

My favorite SIL had her
    My favorite SIL had her surgery and is at home now. The doctor said they will have the final results next week. I asked about the surrounding tissue and Doctor said she could not be sure of course, but things did look good. I am so hoping for good results for my SIL. Two of her friends were at the hospital also, and on brought her and stayed all day from 8:30 am until almost 5 pm. Long day for them!
    Ritzy, thanks for the info on the wires. I had a lumpectomy (benign) about 18 years ago and they marked me with a magic marker LOL and there was not sentinal node checks then. I was telling her friends that I still had a space where the cyst was taken out and went to touch the spot on my left breast...burst out laughing... no breast is there! 'o) So, I no longer have an empty space were it was taken out.. LOL. right?
    Have a wonderful Friday!

My SIL got her results from
    My SIL got her results from the biopsy and says they had negative edges both breasts and she may be able to have the short version of radiation. Her spirits are so much better now that she is done with the whirlwind of tests and surgery is over. I think the waiting is one of the hardest parts. waiting for biopsy, waiting for surgery, waiting for more biopsy, waiting .....etc.
    Brenda
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

My SIL got her results from the biopsy and says they had negative edges both breasts and she may be able to have the short version of radiation. Her spirits are so much better now that she is done with the whirlwind of tests and surgery is over. I think the waiting is one of the hardest parts. waiting for biopsy, waiting for surgery, waiting for more biopsy, waiting .....etc.
    Brenda

♥ Brenda ♥
    So happy that her surgery is over. And, a clean path report! It is nice to read that her spirits have been lifted. Yes, the terrible waiting. It is awful, and, unfortunately, we always seem to have to go thru it. Hoping that her rads will be easy on her. Keep us informed on how she does and on you too! Take care!</♥</font>

Love, Jeanne ♥</♥</font>

P.S. Just wanted to tell you how beautiful you look in your picture!</♥</font>
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

My favorite SIL had her
    Have a wonderful Friday!

You're welcome! I am glad
    You're welcome! I am glad that I could help. I think that wire scares everyone, but, it doesn't hurt and it does guide the PS to your tumor. I think someone on here even said that they put a cup on it after they inserted it in her. Good news on your SIL! Thanks for telling us!

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Brenda

Glad her news was so good!
    Glad her news was so good! Waiting is always the hardest part and it seems that is what we do a lot.

HUGS to both you!
  • Third_Generation
    Options
    Ritzy said:

You're welcome! I am glad
    You're welcome! I am glad that I could help. I think that wire scares everyone, but, it doesn't hurt and it does guide the PS to your tumor. I think someone on here even said that they put a cup on it after they inserted it in her. Good news on your SIL! Thanks for telling us!

Thank you Jeanne for the
    Thank you Jeanne for the compliment.
    and thank you to all who are keeping my SIL in their thoughts.
    Brenda