Is pain a symptom of reoccurrence?

mwarren
mwarren Member Posts: 20
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am four years out and have been taking Arimidex for about 3.5 years. This past week, I have somehow developed a sharp pain in the breast that was cancerous (but on the other side of the breast). This pain is constant and does not go away, it's like having a toothache in the breast. Does anyone know if this is cause for alarm? I am waiting for the oncologist to call me back with an answer.

It seems that every new lump or pain throws me into a panic (or close). I fear I cannot go through all of that treatment and surgery as before. (I had chemo for 6 treatments, followed by 9 weeks of rad. 5x a week). Lost my hair, plus was burned by the radiation. Just too much to go through again.

Comments

• aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    i don't know
    Hi,

I don't know the answer, but I wanted to say I know what the fear of the unknown feels like and I hope you get your answers, good ones, soon.

Victoria
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    aisling8 said:

i don't know
    Hi,

I don't know the answer, but I wanted to say I know what the fear of the unknown feels like and I hope you get your answers, good ones, soon.

Victoria

Hi and Welcome...
    Of course I don't have an answer but it's totally normal to think of recurrence with every pain, especially one that wont' go away. I'm sure your onc is going to want to see you etc. Everytime I have a little pain in that area I freak out too. I just finished treatment in Dec 2009 and the thought of going thru all of that again brings tears...BUT, I would do it again and again and again because the alternative to not treating is not what I want.

I am praying for you to get the answer we all want. Please keep us posted on what the onc says.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • elpasogirl64
    elpasogirl64 Member Posts: 4
    The alternative
    I just finished my treatment and I too began to have the same sharp pain in the same breast about 2 weeks out from the radiation. Come to find out it was a seroma, filling with fluid and getting larger. I panicked too and asked everyone I knew if it was normal. Although I didn't know what it was at first. I went about 2 more weeks until I could not take it, the pain was severe. I finally called a friend who works with my doctor and after she looked at it... it got drained. I guess, like everyone says, every little ache and pain from now on will make me wonder like you if "it could be cancer", the fear and the worry is not worth it. I have had to drain my breast 2times already, I think I've decided its gone if it continues. Its not worth it having a breast if I can't relax and am under so much stress over it. But on the other hand, I do feel I will do anything to stay alive. People used to ask me how I could do it. My answer was " whats the alternative? Death is not an alternative for me. I will go through whatever I need to to stay alive and that includes changing my thinking, my lifestyle, diet etc etc etc. Keep your faith and keep thinking positive, its often mind over matter. Good luck!
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

The alternative
    I just finished my treatment and I too began to have the same sharp pain in the same breast about 2 weeks out from the radiation. Come to find out it was a seroma, filling with fluid and getting larger. I panicked too and asked everyone I knew if it was normal. Although I didn't know what it was at first. I went about 2 more weeks until I could not take it, the pain was severe. I finally called a friend who works with my doctor and after she looked at it... it got drained. I guess, like everyone says, every little ache and pain from now on will make me wonder like you if "it could be cancer", the fear and the worry is not worth it. I have had to drain my breast 2times already, I think I've decided its gone if it continues. Its not worth it having a breast if I can't relax and am under so much stress over it. But on the other hand, I do feel I will do anything to stay alive. People used to ask me how I could do it. My answer was " whats the alternative? Death is not an alternative for me. I will go through whatever I need to to stay alive and that includes changing my thinking, my lifestyle, diet etc etc etc. Keep your faith and keep thinking positive, its often mind over matter. Good luck!

The best thing is what you
    The best thing is what you did, called your oncologist. I hope he got back to you today. Let us know what you find out!
  • mwarren
    Finally
    Well, my oncologist office finally called me. Of course it was after I had decided they weren't going to call until today (Friday). I left and went to the grocery. When I got home there was a message that they were returning my call and for me to call back. Naturally the office was then closed. I called this morning and the 'scheduler' told me that they had made an appointment for me to go and get another mammogram on Monday morning and a doctor appointment on Thursday morning. Again I have to wait. The stress of this is awful. Why couldn't they just tell me if I had something to worry about or not?!! That would have made things so much easier!!! I have to make myself NOT think about possibilities and thing positively!! It's gonna be a long week......
  • mwarren
    Skeezie said:

Hi and Welcome...
    Of course I don't have an answer but it's totally normal to think of recurrence with every pain, especially one that wont' go away. I'm sure your onc is going to want to see you etc. Everytime I have a little pain in that area I freak out too. I just finished treatment in Dec 2009 and the thought of going thru all of that again brings tears...BUT, I would do it again and again and again because the alternative to not treating is not what I want.

I am praying for you to get the answer we all want. Please keep us posted on what the onc says.

Hugs, Judy :-)

Hi Judy: Thanks for making
    Hi Judy: Thanks for making me know that I am not crazy, but normal.
  • mwarren
    aisling8 said:

i don't know
    Hi,

Victoria

Thank you.

Thank you.
  • mwarren

The alternative

I know the alternative is
    I know the alternative is bad, but also I am just not real sure about the treatment. I'm praying that I don't have to make that choice.

You are a trouper. Ya know I often thank God for all of my support teams, especially from the 'sisters in pink'.
  • mwarren

The alternative

I know the alternative is
    I know the alternative is bad, but also I am just not real sure about the treatment. I'm praying that I don't have to make that choice.

You are a trouper. Ya know I often thank God for all of my support teams, especially from the 'sisters in pink'.
  • mwarren

The alternative

I had the same pains after I
    I had the same pains after I finished treatment. The oncologist said it's like when people loose a leg, that absent leg hurts, and that was what I was feeling. That pain lasted about a year and finally went away and has stayed away. Hopefully yours will stay away too.
  • mwarren
    Megan M said:

The best thing is what you
    The best thing is what you did, called your oncologist. I hope he got back to you today. Let us know what you find out!

so far, I've found out
    so far, I've found out nothing. Have to wait until next Thursday.
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    mwarren said:

Finally
    Well, my oncologist office finally called me. Of course it was after I had decided they weren't going to call until today (Friday). I left and went to the grocery. When I got home there was a message that they were returning my call and for me to call back. Naturally the office was then closed. I called this morning and the 'scheduler' told me that they had made an appointment for me to go and get another mammogram on Monday morning and a doctor appointment on Thursday morning. Again I have to wait. The stress of this is awful. Why couldn't they just tell me if I had something to worry about or not?!! That would have made things so much easier!!! I have to make myself NOT think about possibilities and thing positively!! It's gonna be a long week......

I'm sorry
    I'm sorry you're still waiting. Sometimes I think that's the worst part. Once we hear the answer we can adjust our thinking and our actions to what has to be, but the waiting is the worst.

I'm wondering too, do we ever get past the point where we fear every ache or pain or change that we experience?

Let us know when you get your results. You're in our prayers.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    mwarren said:

Finally

HI Mwarren,
    It's just torture waiting, isn't it? I've had significant pain in both my breasts since my lumpectomy. I'm chalking it up to hormonal changes (my ovaries started working again post-chemo) and nerve pain from tissue re-generating. You were right to call your oncologist and get it checked out though. Chances are it's nothing. Hugs.

Mimi
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    mimivac said:

HI Mwarren,
    It's just torture waiting, isn't it? I've had significant pain in both my breasts since my lumpectomy. I'm chalking it up to hormonal changes (my ovaries started working again post-chemo) and nerve pain from tissue re-generating. You were right to call your oncologist and get it checked out though. Chances are it's nothing. Hugs.

Mimi

Good luck
    on Monday. I wish it will be nothing and you Mammo will be clear.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Good luck
    on Monday. I wish it will be nothing and you Mammo will be clear.

Yes, good luck on Monday!
    Yes, good luck on Monday! Keep us updated! Praying for good results!

Hugs, Megan