Back on chemo after a 3-month interruption...has anyone else had this long of an interruption?

CessnaFlyer
CessnaFlyer Member Posts: 110
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My oncologist has decided to put me back on chemo, which is 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin. We stopped in early February because of a micro perforation in the colon and will be restarting next week. Thus, there has been nearly a three month interruption in treatment. Has anyone had this long of an interruption in chemo treatment, or does anyone know if this will have a negative effect on treatment? I’m received 14 treatments and have 10 to go.

Comments

• PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    treatments
    Hi I suspended my treatments to have surgery. I had 7 out of 12 treatments completed. My oncologist said after that long, it was about 3 months for me too, that he did not feel there was much benefit in resuming the last 5. I was stage four, and hope that this was the right decision. At the time it was fine with me. I am about 5 1/2 years out from surgery now, and keeping an eye on 2 spots on liver, scans every 6 months. Since you have so many treatments left to go, it is probably worth it, the chemo will have a chance to build back up in your system and do it's job. Are you considered NED right now or is there still activity?
    Pam
  • CessnaFlyer
    CessnaFlyer Member Posts: 110
    PamPam2 said:

treatments
    Hi I suspended my treatments to have surgery. I had 7 out of 12 treatments completed. My oncologist said after that long, it was about 3 months for me too, that he did not feel there was much benefit in resuming the last 5. I was stage four, and hope that this was the right decision. At the time it was fine with me. I am about 5 1/2 years out from surgery now, and keeping an eye on 2 spots on liver, scans every 6 months. Since you have so many treatments left to go, it is probably worth it, the chemo will have a chance to build back up in your system and do it's job. Are you considered NED right now or is there still activity?
    Pam

NED for now
    I'm stage IIA and hope that the NED will stay that way.
  • Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824 Member

NED for now
    I'm stage IIA and hope that the NED will stay that way.

NED
    Hello Cessna...I am stage II also and I understand your worries. When I was dropped from the Folfox regimen and placed on just Xeloda there was a 4 week interval and I was freaking.I really started re-thinking chemo for several reasons and my onc did say that we would reassess every 3 weeks.Into the 9th cycle now and plan to finish only because I have come this far and I don't like to quit.

Your treatment seems to be somewhat different than mine but basically the same drugs.Why are you having 24 treatments? Just curious.

Like your plane. My husband has an old Gruman(sp?). I went up one time with him and that was enough for me:)He is a good pilot...I am a horrible passenger.

Here's to NED forever!!

-Pat