Question about constipation

Options
betina61
betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Have you suffer from constipation after finished chemo, that have gotten worse with time, needing more stool softeners than before?I had my last check up in February and the lab work was fine, Cea was 0.04, I did mention to my Dr. that I had some bleeding a couple of times, but that have happened to me before during these 3 and a half years since surgery and all colonoscopies have been clear, he even looked inside me and saw and internal hemorroid anyway I e-mail my uncologist yesterday letting him know that if I should schedule my colonoscopy sooner than August,and told me to go ahead and do it sooner,maybe he did, because I told him that this constipation situation was bothering me, the problem is that there is not opening until May 27,because I would like to do it with my surgeon as always,and now I know I am going to have this in mine mind for the whole month, my uncologist said it was fine to wait for that appoitment.How to clear my negative thoughts from my mind? At the same time I know that recurrance is not as common at local site. The thing is that is always something.

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Hi Betina:)
    Have not talked to you in a lifetime it seems.

I know we all hear hemorrhoids at some point - sometimes it's the cause of bleeding and other times it's been a tumor.

But since your scopes have been clear for over 3 years, as you say, it's not likely that a cancerous tumor has formed again there.

It sounds like the internal hemorrhoid is probably the source of your bleeding - they do bleed periodically and as long as you have them, they can do so for a long time.

Since your scope is about a month out, I'd just monitor the situation closely and wait for your appointment - I think they're going to find that your scope is clear and confirm your hemorrhoid again.

As long as it's not causing you pain to require surgery, probably best to leave it alone, but if it gets too bad, then a hemorrhoidectomy would be the way to handle that.

I had 2 of those removed via hemorrhoidectomy right after my rectal resection - one was on the inside and the other the outside - was painful and there was a partial obstruction, so we had to do it.

That surgery was ok - required cleansing the area hourly for a couple of weeks to avoid infection, but it healed and all went well there.

Don't panic - remember, it did not happen overnight, so a month more, won't be a show stopper.

Wishing you the best in advance though - thanks for your post the other day BTW, good to see you.

Craig
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Constipation
    Betina, I've been constipated my whole life. I think that is part of why I had colon cancer. All that icky stuff stuck inside me for 3 or 4 days .....

Since surgery and chemo I have been very diligent about making sure I go every day. I've increased my morning coffee and eat Wheaties with raisins almost every night. If things seem too slow, I will eat Raisin Bran. The only day I have problems is Sunday. Our Sunday School and church start at 9 and that's about the time I usually can go.

Like Craig said, colon cancer doesn't grow very fast so I'm sure your wait til late May is of no concern. Colon cancer virtually never reappears in the colon unless the surgeon didn't take enough and get clear margins.

Lisa42 has had bleeding. I've had bleeding. Loads of us have had bleeding. It's the roids. Hang in there Sweetie!