Where to find people to help?

mdnikki
mdnikki Member Posts: 34
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
We are looking at all aspects of care for my mom as she undergoes chemo. Right now she is in the hospital but they will soon be releasing her.

Its just my sister and I. We both work full time and I have a husband and a special needs child at home.

We will be hiring a nurse/caregiver for the hours we are at work. So that leaves nights and weekends which my sister and I will divide up..spending the nights at moms.

How does everyone do this. My son is in high school and often has sports/activities in the evenings/weekends. My husband will never see me. I know there are a lot of "I" and "me" in this statement but I just wonder who does everyone do this.

Its expensive for nursing and care, assisted living is outrageous (mom has no assets or home to sell).

Where do you find volunteers or people to help you.

Comments

• GregStahl
    GregStahl Member Posts: 188
    Support
    Try the ACS, state and federal agencies. I dont know how old you mom is, but there might be some help from SSI. Federal & state health and human services and even at county levels.

Hope this helps.
    http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

Greg
  • grandmafay
    grandmafay Member Posts: 1,633 Member
    I agree about contacting ACS. They may have a list of resources. Is your mom on Medicare. If so, they may pay for some things. Also, make use of the hospital social worker. Most hospitals have at least one of those these days. Check with friends. Maybe someone could visit Mom when you have evening functions. Hope this helps. Fay
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Help
    Gosh, getting help 24/7 is rough. Is it possible for your mom to stay with you or your sister the first few weeks out of the hospital to see where you stand with exactly what kind of care she will need? If each of you took 2 weeks of work that would give you a month to figure out exactly if she is able to live on her own with some help. You will be able to judge if she can take care of personal hygiene, getting something to eat, cleaning up a bit, etc. Just a thought. Things like laundry, housekeeping, bed changing, etc. you can do for her.

Another thought, send out an e-mail to all relatives, nieces, nephews, friends, etc. asking them if they could give some time to you to help mom. Only thing is you need to be specific, i.e., we need some help on Tuesday and Thursday from 6 to 10 p.m., something like that. Many times people are more than willing to give you help, they just don't know what to do or what help you need. Even bringing dinner to mom and eating with her will help mom socialize and give you a break.

Just some thoughts - hope it helps.

Take care - Tina