Erbitux - has anyone been given this after chemo is done?

bbreed
bbreed Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi,
I have had a recurrence of Stage III colon cancer last May. After surgery, radiation and chemo they tried me on Erbitux. After 10 cycles of 5FU, levaflurin and irenitican, they said it wasn't working for me. The tumor is unresectable. I had one treatment of the Erbitux and I had alot of side effects. One was a terrific 3 day headache in which I tried to lift my head up it was alot of pain. I also did alot of research on this, but I also realize it is all individualized how you respond. They want me to try it again at a lower dose but I haven't decided yet.

Any input would be great, I won't feel so alone.

Bonnie

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Erbitux
    I have been on Erbitux for about 4 years (wow, that's a long time) and it's worked well for me. Side effects started out rough but have eased over the years. Still have some issues but it's still effective.
  • pluckey
    pluckey Member Posts: 484 Member
    I've been on erbatux along
    I've been on erbatux along with the same drugs you were on - all at the same time- erbatux every week. face rash is the main side effect.
  • patsy1954
    patsy1954 Member Posts: 85
    2 Weeks on Erbitux
    I was on Folfox for 12 tx, seemed to keep the tumors in check. Tried Xeloda for 3 months and the lymph node tumors showed "marked increase in tumor bulk", so then on Folifi for 4 rounds and my cancer marker (CTC)was climbing so took me off the Folfiri, said that wasn't working either, so started on Erbitux and Irinotican 2 weeeks ago. Had a CT scan today will get results on Monday. So far the worse side effect is the acne like rash on my face. Has anyone found anything that works for the acne? They say the next step after Erbitux is experimental. I'll try anything to prolong my life, so hopint the Erbitux will work!
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Hi Bonnie
    So sorry to hear about your Erbitux reaction! I've been on it since November and am handling it well. Rash and finger cracks only. It seems to be holding the cancer (spread to my sacrum)at bay. Do you think you had an allergic reaction?

Erbitux can work very well for some of us. I'd suggest a good conversation with your onc, including the question of "If not this... then what?"

You are not alone... Rob; in Vancouver
  • damama24
    damama24 Member Posts: 174 Member
    robinvan said:

Hi Bonnie
    So sorry to hear about your Erbitux reaction! I've been on it since November and am handling it well. Rash and finger cracks only. It seems to be holding the cancer (spread to my sacrum)at bay. Do you think you had an allergic reaction?

Erbitux can work very well for some of us. I'd suggest a good conversation with your onc, including the question of "If not this... then what?"

rash
    I am receiving vectibix which is similar to erbitux. My onc perscribed an antibiotic and two creams to use on my rash. It has really kept the rash at bay so far. You might want to talk to your drs to see if it would work for you. Blessings to all. Deb
  • bbreed
    bbreed Member Posts: 4
    robinvan said:

Hi Bonnie

Erbitux
    Hi Rob,

I am glad you are handling the Erbitux. I see my onc next week for a decision. I did get a rash in which I expected to. But he felt I did have a reaction to the Erbitux. I got chills and fever afterwards. He wants to try it again at half the dose. If not, he said the other meds are ones like Erbitux. I do see a surgical oncologist, this was about Cyber Knife, I am really thinking about going to John Hopkins for another opinion, if I don't do the Erbitux. He made it my decision and of course the reaction scared me and I refused it last time.

Take care,

Bonnie
  • vhtqm1
    vhtqm1 Member Posts: 107
    i too headache first treatment
    and a terrible headache it was!! i don't get headaches but when i had my first treatment of Irinotecan and Cetuximab one of the first things that happened to me was how cold i was and this headache. they did lower the dose for the second treatment and no headache so maybe this can work for you too? currently with this particular coctail of chemo i have experienced lack of energy, very sleepy, muscles aches, some nausea, some diarea and some vomiting. all that being said i have been able to manage these side effects but i have noticed when i begin to feel cold i don't hessitate to grab blankets and turn the heater on. i felt the cold had something to do with when i experienced the headache so i don't take any chances. oh and yes i too like others have noticed my skin breaking out. i understand this is actually a good sign. the oncologist explained to me that the skin **epidermous** cells are similar to the cancer cells on the liver. because of this similarity the skin breaking out is a good sign that the chemo may be working. maybe this has helped you somehow and i see others have responded. hopefully from one of and or a collection of our responses has helped you somewhow?

ed
    ps--cetuximab a.k.a. erbitux and sorry if my spelling isn't correct.
  • Erinb
    Erinb Member Posts: 293
    My husband had a reccurence
    My husband had a reccurence and just started Erbitux and Folfiri two weeks ago and experienced cramping, nausea, a rash and has had a headache off and on. He feels pressure at the top of his head which is unlike a 'normal' headache. He is taking his second dose this weekend. His nausea is under control now. Before my husband was on folfox and when AVASTIN was added his tumor began to shrink. Is Avastin an option for you? Also I guess if you have the KRAS gene erbitux won't be effective. I hope you find some answers.