21yr old -- Breast Cancer .. Anyone else?

jworkman
jworkman Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Young Cancer Survivors #1
I'm 21 years old and was just recently diagnosed with a rare form of breast cancer. It's called Metaplastic Carcinoma. I'm also Triple Negative. I have only talked to one other person with this type of cancer and she's not close in age. I just had a full radical masectomy 3 weeks ago. I had 4 chemo treatments before surgery but it wasn't shrinking the tumor so the oncologist made the decision to go ahead and remove it. It was the size of a large orange/small grapefruit. I'm just having a hard time looking down and seeing this scar and being "lopsided" .. just would be nice to talk to someone else my age going through something similar. Thanks : ) And good luck to everyone in their fight against cancer.
Jamie

Comments

• chicanasurvivor22
    chicanasurvivor22 Member Posts: 2
    Hi :)
    Hi jworkman. I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I, myself, was diagnosed with a breast sarcoma at the age of 22 (I am 25 now). I, like you, was diagnosed with an *extremely* rare form of cancer, and also had a LARGE tumor (7.3cm-- about the size of a fist). I underwent a total right-sided mastectomy, and, up until Apr 22, was 'lop-sided' as well!! I *hated* that feeling.. :(
    How have you been feeling since the mastectomy? Are you still undergoing chemo/radiation? I couldn't have my breast reconstructed right away because I had to finish radiation treatments. In retrospect, I am GLAD that I had to wait, as there is much to think regarding breast reconstruction!! (That is, if you even WANT it! I have breast implants and I am, so far, very pleased with my decision. That is, of course, just my experience. I would never advise anyone else, you have to do what is right for you.)
    Well, I just wanted to reassure you that you are NOT alone; I am here if you want to talk, anytime!! Please just let me know if you have any questions or even just need to vent-- I've been there, honey. Breast cancer is tough enough for *anyone* to go through, never mind being 21 years old! Take care of yourself <3
    ~Samantha~
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    join us at www.youngsurvival.org
    I am a 36 year old breast cancer survivor. The young survival website is targeted toward women under 40 who are diagnosed with BC. There is tons of support and info there. Jamie, off the top of my head I can name at least one women on that site who has metaplastic carcinoma and is triple negative (she's also in her 20's). I had IDC, but I'm also triple negative. Metaplastic tends to not recurr, so that's a good thing. Hope both of you are well.

Mimi