In a state of Confusion

Options
Dadsonlyson
Dadsonlyson Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Like many of you know, who read my last post, my father had his G tube inserted Monday afternoon. With most G tubes they are performed endoscopically. Well, my father was unable to have it done that way, the surgeon didnt want to test the esophagus since it seemed to him that it had closed up even tighter. Three weeks prior he was able to put the tube down the esophagus into his stomach...wondering why he just didnt do it then when he had his shot and my father would have started chemo, but I didnt go to med school so I have know idea.
When he pulled the family together, he gave us the news that it had gotten worse. He made the comment that at this stage it would be uncurable. How can a surgeon with no experience in cancer make such a statement. It destroyed my mother and myself hearing this. He is still able to drink Carnation Breakfasts and drink Diet Coke and drink even chicken broth. I have yet to hear the oncologist give him bad news. He consistently says we will shrink the cancer and even the surgeon told my dad that. What should I be thinking at this stage? I feel like I am being pulled in different directions right now, it is hard enough to deal with knowing he has this cancer!
If anyone can help here, please give me some insight to what I should think or even go with at this point. He is Stage IVB but only in only one Lymph node and the tip of his left lung...that is it!!!

Comments

• MOE58
    MOE58 Member Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    sounds like you need answers
    Hey there,

Sounds like you have not got the news you want, I know nothing about stage IV but Bailey1459 does, and PGHMOMMA and MUMPHY, you might want to ask them they will be able to guide you down the right path for answers, I am sure they are more knowledgable in stage 4 then me.

Good luck and lots of prayers

Lori/moe
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • jessicalla
    jessicalla Member Posts: 29
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

great reply Sherri
    Great reply Sherri!!! Your husband is an amazing inspiration!!!
  • Pghmomma
    Pghmomma Member Posts: 141
    Options

great reply Sherri
    Great reply Sherri!!! Your husband is an amazing inspiration!!!

Great Info
    I know nothing about stage IV either, as my father was III. Sherri gave some great info!