Tightness with implants 3 months post op

Stilltrying
Stilltrying Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi. I'm new to the network. I had a bilateral mastectomy in July '09 with tissue expander placement. In December '09, implants were placed. Do the implants get to the point of not feeling like something is tight around my chest? My ribs also hurt. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to alleviate this. When I exercise (I do Zumba and have tried yoga and Pilates), I am really sore afterward. I have spoken with my internist who suggested I try finding someone who has had this problem. Any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks so much.

Comments

• njbaker
    njbaker Member Posts: 9
    I had my implant exchange on
    I had my implant exchange on 4/9/10 and am feeling tightness also. I had a rough time with my expanders and got much needed relief from going to physical therapy. I know it's too early for me to begin that, maybe another 2 weeks but I suggest you try a qualified therapist who specializes in women like us - it made quite a difference when I had the expanders so I would assume it would be the same for implants. The expanders always felt like turtle shells under my skin and now the implants feel more like soft tennis balls. I was always in such good physical condition, exercising every day and it's frustrating because I think I should be further along. I'm gradually trying to get back to some sort of routine but don't want to overdue it until I see my PS in 2 weeks and get the go ahead. I especially feel the tightness in the evening. I hope your tightness subsides soon, ask your PS about PT.
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    time, time, time
    Hi,

I had a double mast. 7/09 with tissue expanders and then a second surgery to put in silicone implants.

The silicone were put in on 3/11/10.

It took about a month to get to the point where I wasn't constantly protecting my chest.

I still have tightness though and feel strange tingling nerves when the skin moves over them in a certain way.

It does seem to get better every week though.

Hang in there,

JoJo
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    Are your implants underneath
    Are your implants underneath your pectoral muscles?

I currently have my expanders in (under the muscle) and i had to give up my tae kwondo while i was still healing.i recently started up again but have to be very careful and cannot fight or do things that involve using the pectoral muscle.

Well on monday night,i did a 2 hour tae kwondo session and i have noticed since then that my chest has become ALOT tighter again.I avoided direct muscle use but i think doing even simple things that involve the arms and upper body,STILL use these muscles and i think that is whats caused the tightness to worsen.

I am just wondering if this is the same for you from doing the Zumba and other exercises?
    Its good to keep the muscles stretched but if you think about it,when you use a muscle,it firms up and therefore tightens.Well that like putting a large,loose elastic band around your chest then exercsing is tightening that band-like when your muscle tighten. Im deeply regretting doing such a long session now as i have my 3rd expansion today and its tighter than ever! =( Gonna be tough to stretch this time i think.I may have to stop my training again until my exoansions are over.After the implant exchange i'll just put up with it.

Kay
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    me too
    I had my exchange in mid-march and still experience tightness. I get increased tightness when I've used my arms a lot. It feels like I am wearing a too-tight bra when I'm not wearing one. And I get sore in different areas.

My PS still has me avoiding "strenuous or repetitive use of arms". I feel so weak and out of shape. I'm ready to have me back again!

Glad I'm not alone in what I'm feeling.

Thanks, El
  • Stilltrying
    Stilltrying Member Posts: 10
    njbaker said:

I had my implant exchange on
    I had my implant exchange on 4/9/10 and am feeling tightness also. I had a rough time with my expanders and got much needed relief from going to physical therapy. I know it's too early for me to begin that, maybe another 2 weeks but I suggest you try a qualified therapist who specializes in women like us - it made quite a difference when I had the expanders so I would assume it would be the same for implants. The expanders always felt like turtle shells under my skin and now the implants feel more like soft tennis balls. I was always in such good physical condition, exercising every day and it's frustrating because I think I should be further along. I'm gradually trying to get back to some sort of routine but don't want to overdue it until I see my PS in 2 weeks and get the go ahead. I especially feel the tightness in the evening. I hope your tightness subsides soon, ask your PS about PT.

Tightness
    Thanks for responding. I had great difficulty with the expanders too and was in PT for quite a while. I was hoping to avoid returning and will keep trying to exercise, etc. I am still also dealing with a lot of fatigue which I hope the exercise will help with (but not so far). I too especially feel the tightness in the evening and when I try to sleep. Definitely not as bad as with the expanders but still noticeable which I thought it wouldn't be. Good luck with your recovery.
  • Third_Generation
    Third_Generation Member Posts: 121

me too
    I had my exchange in mid-march and still experience tightness. I get increased tightness when I've used my arms a lot. It feels like I am wearing a too-tight bra when I'm not wearing one. And I get sore in different areas.

My PS still has me avoiding "strenuous or repetitive use of arms". I feel so weak and out of shape. I'm ready to have me back again!

Glad I'm not alone in what I'm feeling.

Thanks, El

No reconstruction but I have
    No reconstruction but I have the tight band feeling also, so I do not think it is from the reconstruct but just part of our nervous system trying to figure out what the heck we did to it! I am 90+ days out of bilateral surgery and it is getting looser around the front but still feels pretty tight around the sides.
    I am not exercising as much as I would like since I still have fluid on the left side and am trying to get that to absorb. Doing all my stretches though and do feel those help.
    Good luck to all.