Skin Pain after bilaterals-my solution

Third_Generation
Third_Generation Member Posts: 121
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had double mastectomy on Jan 5 2010,and had horrible skin pain above the incisions. I could not stand anything to touch that higher chest skin! I read in one of the blogs that self massage helped and that so did compression. I started immediately gently rubbing the sensitive area and wrapping with an ace bandage. Now 3 months later, I rarely get the sensitive skin pain and as soon as I gently rub the chest area, the pain goes away. I just want to share this in case anyone else has this pain- I thought it was going to last forever.
I also am still wrapped in an ace bandage for excessive fluid. I had my drains out at 2 weeks, drained at dr office 4 times and he put drains back in April. They were just the light weight orange tipped ones and I had to be so careful with them- or ouchie!! Fora week after the drains came out, I stayed wrapped up tight day and night. Tried the prothesis and started filling up again. So now, still wrapped and staying wrapped until the last fluid is absorbed.
My aunt had this same fluid problem 13 years ago but not as long and not the skin pain. My mother had breast cancer twice, died of lung and bone cancer in '91 but auntie has been clear for 13 years. Auntie and I had microcalcifications not cysts like mom, so plan on following in auntie's footsteps.
My heart goes out to all of you who are fighting cancer and hope that you have a good support system as I have had.

Comments

• m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    Thats great advice,thank
    Thats great advice,thank you.

I suffer more with numb skin rather than it hurting. Its like when you've been numbed at the dentist for a filling. My physio told me to get 5 different types of fabric and gently stroke the different fabrics,one by one, over the numb areas. This gets the nerves to detect different textures and feelings and stimulates new nerve growth.

Do you ahve problems with fluid and healing then?
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    interesting
    I had extremely sensative skin above the mastectomy sites. I couldn't stand for the sheet to touch it. It has sort of resolved on it's own. It seemed to take forever. I'm sure others will appreciate the info, wish i'd known it in december.

M-star, thanks for the info on helping the nerves to regenerate. I am so numb that I'm afraid I'll hurt my "new boobs". I can't quite tell where they end and am afraid I carry stuff too tight to my chest.

Thanks ladies, El
  • Third_Generation
    m-star said:

Thats great advice,thank
    Thats great advice,thank you.

I suffer more with numb skin rather than it hurting. Its like when you've been numbed at the dentist for a filling. My physio told me to get 5 different types of fabric and gently stroke the different fabrics,one by one, over the numb areas. This gets the nerves to detect different textures and feelings and stimulates new nerve growth.

Do you ahve problems with fluid and healing then?

M-star, I have a bit of
    M-star, I have a bit of fluid left on the left side where the sentinal node was taken, but am staying wrapped and it is slowly absorbing. The incisions have healed beautifully. I am just now starting to get more numb areas so will use the diff fabric ideas to retrain the nerves. I still get those band of tightness-es, so funny in the shower and you think "oooh, did I take my wrap off?". Once the skin pain stopped, all is very liveable and I am glad that I have not had to have chemo or rads. Was very worried about those since my mom did so poorly on those.
    Hope you are feeling well now.
  • Third_Generation

interesting
    I had extremely sensative skin above the mastectomy sites. I couldn't stand for the sheet to touch it. It has sort of resolved on it's own. It seemed to take forever. I'm sure others will appreciate the info, wish i'd known it in december.

M-star, thanks for the info on helping the nerves to regenerate. I am so numb that I'm afraid I'll hurt my "new boobs". I can't quite tell where they end and am afraid I carry stuff too tight to my chest.

Thanks ladies, El

ms independent,
    I am glad

ms independent,
    I am glad your skin pain has settled... that was the worse thing I think I have ever gone through. I am going to try the diff fabrics idea also, a great idea.
    Hope all is going well with you now.
  • m-star

ms independent,
    I am glad

ms independent,
    I am glad your skin pain has settled... that was the worse thing I think I have ever gone through. I am going to try the diff fabrics idea also, a great idea.
    Hope all is going well with you now.

yes,my physiotherapist said
    yes,my physiotherapist said it had been medically proven to regenerate nerves faster an more effectively. When she firat told me, i thought she was joking and it was some kind of 'quack' therapy! But she assures me it works and it does make some sense.She said that your nerves like to feel different sensations and the diff sensations of the diff fabrics trigger them off so they renew faster.The nerves can get used to the same fabrics. Really try and vary the fabrics.
    Some i use,are:

satin
    terry-towelling
    denim
    woollens
    linen

gebtly stroke them over the numb skin for a few minutes then move on to the next fabric.
  • m-star

interesting

Thanks ladies, El

El, i have scratched myself
    El, i have scratched myself in the shower so many times cus i haven't felt that i've done it! It's a bizarre feeling!

Kay
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    You have given great advice!
    You have given great advice! Best of luck to you!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Megan M said:

You have given great advice!
    You have given great advice! Best of luck to you!

I wonder if this would help
    I wonder if this would help withthe numbness with peripheral neuropathy?
  • Third_Generation
    carkris said:

I wonder if this would help
    I wonder if this would help withthe numbness with peripheral neuropathy?

If you try it and it does,
    If you try it and it does, that would be a great thing to be able to use and then share. Good Luck