Port Removal

pattimc
pattimc Member Posts: 431
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am having my port removed on May 7th. It is being done at the hospital but in the ambulatory section. I guess it is easier to take out than to put in as it's done with just numbing it (which by the way freaks me out!!!!).

Anyway, I have a big weekend and wondered what the recovery was like? We are having a birthday party for my 3 yr old grandson on Saturday the 8th and then of course the biggest day of the year.....MOTHER'S DAY!!

Thanks for any advice!

Patti

Comments

• bickeyb
    bickeyb Member Posts: 8
    Just had mine taken out -
    Just had mine taken out - felt fine right after! a little pulling but no pain!!! You should be fine!
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    There should not be a
    There should not be a problem. The Dr. gave me a local anesthetic, clipped stitches, pulled it out, sewed it up, bandaged it, and I went out to eat for lunch, no problems. I took Tylenol as a precaution, but had no significant discomfort.

seof.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    seof said:

There should not be a
    There should not be a problem. The Dr. gave me a local anesthetic, clipped stitches, pulled it out, sewed it up, bandaged it, and I went out to eat for lunch, no problems. I took Tylenol as a precaution, but had no significant discomfort.

seof.

My surgeon put me out...
    I think they need the $$$. But even so, I was back to normal by that evening. No pain or discomfort at all.
  • jworkman
    jworkman Member Posts: 10
    I still have my port .. so I'm curious about this too. But I have the kind of port that is inside my skin. You can't see it .. just the scar from where they put it in. It's threaded into one of my main arteries. Just wondering if that's the same kind that anyone else here has? And what that's like when it's taken out? Thanks!!
  • pattimc
    jworkman said:

I still have my port .. so I'm curious about this too. But I have the kind of port that is inside my skin. You can't see it .. just the scar from where they put it in. It's threaded into one of my main arteries. Just wondering if that's the same kind that anyone else here has? And what that's like when it's taken out? Thanks!!

Thanks all
    I didn't think it was a big deal. I wish he would give me twilight sedation....I'm freaking out about being awake and seeing this!

Jworkman, that's the kind I have, too. Although mine is raised somewhat and can def be seen!
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Patti.....
    I am also having my port removed on May 7! And I too, am just a bit nervous. But we will be fine and frankly, I will be happy to see mine GO!!

Hugs,

CR
  • pattimc
    CR1954 said:

Patti.....
    I am also having my port removed on May 7! And I too, am just a bit nervous. But we will be fine and frankly, I will be happy to see mine GO!!

Hugs,

CR

CR1954
    I'll be happy too! Lately it seems to be bothering me more.

Good luck and God bless!

Patti
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    bickeyb said:

Just had mine taken out -
    Just had mine taken out - felt fine right after! a little pulling but no pain!!! You should be fine!

Just want to wish you good
    Just want to wish you good luck Patti.

Angie
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    port removal
    most port removals are easy. Done in the dr office under local. Mine was done that way, but it seemed to have gotten comfortable where it was put, and the doc and to do some major pulling and give me more injections to keep me numb. My chest muscles were sore for a couple days because of the extra effort involved, but it did not stop me from any activities at all.
    Congrats on your future deportation!
    Cat
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    jworkman said:

Hi jworkman
    I think that's pretty much what we all have or had. I had mine taken out within weeks of completing chemo and they did it under general anesthesia in the hospital. I went in and was home within hours with a few little stitches. It felt wierd because where the port tube goes up to the neck is a bit thick, it took a while for the lump to disappear. But I was fine that same day and back to work the next.
    Hugs -
    Pat
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    seof said:

There should not be a

seof.

Good luck with your port
    Good luck with your port removal. I am sure they will numb it, so, you should feel nothing.
  • lafera12
    lafera12 Member Posts: 63
    cats_toy said:

port removal
    most port removals are easy. Done in the dr office under local. Mine was done that way, but it seemed to have gotten comfortable where it was put, and the doc and to do some major pulling and give me more injections to keep me numb. My chest muscles were sore for a couple days because of the extra effort involved, but it did not stop me from any activities at all.
    Congrats on your future deportation!
    Cat

port removal
    Hi all,
    Had my port removed in December..Had it done in the Same Day Surgery part of the hospital. Doctor gave me a local to numb it, and then covered my entire head so--one so I couldn't see what was going on and
    two so no other germs got on it. Had a few stitches but thats all...no pain whatsoever...
    Good luck to you all.

Angie
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Hi Patti, I had twilight
    Hi Patti, I had twilight anesthesia for my port removal. I was very sore for about 2days afterward, esp. when I walked or climbed stairs. Pretty much the same as when it was put in.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Hi Patti, I had twilight
    Hi Patti, I had twilight anesthesia for my port removal. I was very sore for about 2days afterward, esp. when I walked or climbed stairs. Pretty much the same as when it was put in.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    pattimc said:

CR1954
    I'll be happy too! Lately it seems to be bothering me more.

Good luck and God bless!

Patti

Thanks Pati!
    Luck to you too!!

CR
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    CR1954 said:

Patti.....

Hugs,

CR

Wishing you Patti and you CR
    Wishing you Patti and you CR good luck with your deporting!
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Eil4186 said:

Hi Patti, I had twilight

I will definitely have IV sedation when I have to have my port
    removed. But as I have always said, I want to keep my port for the rest of my life. I have no veins, my port doesn't show and I don't even know it's there. But what a blessing for blood tests etc.

But when that time comes, I will request (and insist) upon IV sedation. No doctors office under local for me. I am a chicken and I feel we suffer enough with all the pokes and jabs etc. with bc and the less pain and less fear I have to have is a blessing. My surgeon is wonderful and totally understanding.

Good luck ladies on may 7th, Keep us posted how it went.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    You'll be fine
    for your events, most likely. There was no recovery time for me. I had no sedation, only a local numbing agent. The shot to administer the anesthesia was not pleasant, but the rest was fine. I walked out and went back to work. Good luck!

Mimi
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    mimivac said:

You'll be fine
    for your events, most likely. There was no recovery time for me. I had no sedation, only a local numbing agent. The shot to administer the anesthesia was not pleasant, but the rest was fine. I walked out and went back to work. Good luck!

Mimi

1 year
    Even though everything is fine and dandy ... NED ... my surgeon still suggests that I keep my port for a year ... as long as it doesn't bother me. I told him it didn't bother me a bit and as far as I was concerned it could stay in there forever. So ... I'll be keeping it in until at least March 2011. He said when he does "deport" me ... it will be done in the hospital because it often involves quite a bit of tugging ... and there's always a chance of the tube breaking and he wants to be in the hospital in case something like that should happen. I'm glad he's "better safe than sorry" because that's been my belief throughout this whole year. Even though I didn't want to do something ... I did it!

hugs.
    teena
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Getting mine out on the 11th!
    And I know what you mean, Patti. I'm having done mine the same way... in the hospital with just a local. She said I'd be out of there in 10 minutes. UGGHH!! I'm very freaked out about that. I know I'll be popping a Lorazapam for that one. I've gotten away from them, and don't need them much anymore, not even to sleep :)), but something tells me that I'm going to be a bit unnerved for this! Good luck and please post afterwards! I'll be watching out it.

Hugs, Mar