Lump on top of rib under left breast after mastectomy

Options
m-star
m-star Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Im a little worried and would like some thoughts on this....

Had my bilateral mastectomy in Feb.Got my expanders in and had my 1st expanstion 3 weeks post op. 1 week ish after that expansion,during massage,i felt a hard lump on the top of my rib,just on the crease of my left 'breast'. It doesn't move,its very solid,it doesnt hurt (unless i've been prodding it!).

When i went for my 2nd expansion 3 weeks ago,i mentioned it to the PS that was doing my top-up that day.She briefly felt it and told me it was eith a rib (???) or my expander.

Now im no doctor,but im pretty sure i cant just grow an extra rib the size and shape of half a small coin!!!! And i really cant see it being my expander,as the rest of the expander is nice and smooth and fine.

I go for my 3rd expansion tomorrow and i will tell them again.Hopefully i'll see my usual PS tomorrow.Its really on my mind as when i first got HL,i was ignored when i told them about the lump i found. I have little faith in medics now. I want to ask if they'll do an ultrasound to put my mind at ease but we get state health care here in the UK so not sure i can simply request one.

Any thoughts on this lump would be appreciated.

Kay

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I felt something like that
    I felt something like that and it was the expander. rads onc concurred. In my case the expander is gone, so no longer an issue, but have it checked out. even for peace of mind.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    For peace of mind, you
    For peace of mind, you should have it checked out. If you can get an ultrasound, that would be good. I have always felt that no lump should ever be ignored. Good luck!

Hugs, Debby
  • m-star
    Options
    carkris said:

I felt something like that
    I felt something like that and it was the expander. rads onc concurred. In my case the expander is gone, so no longer an issue, but have it checked out. even for peace of mind.

carkris: was your lump
    carkris: was your lump hard?? It doesn't move and when i look in the mirror,i can see where it is making a small dent in the bottom of the expander. I am reallt hoping it is just scar tissue or something simple.

DebbyM:i will def be mentioning it AGAIN tomorrow at my expansion.And i will keep mentioning it each time i go too.

Thanks all
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Options
    me too
    Kay,

I had something kind of like that with my expanders. It was also under the crease going down onto the ribs. It was hard and kind of like a rope. Anyway, my PS told me it was the expander crinkling up some. I thought he was full of poop but, it went away after the next expansion.

Of course ask tomorrow, you need piece of mind. And don't forget, they are being paid to take care of us----it's ok to fire away with your questions and concerns----that's part of their job.

Take care, El
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

me too
    Kay,

I had something kind of like that with my expanders. It was also under the crease going down onto the ribs. It was hard and kind of like a rope. Anyway, my PS told me it was the expander crinkling up some. I thought he was full of poop but, it went away after the next expansion.

Of course ask tomorrow, you need piece of mind. And don't forget, they are being paid to take care of us----it's ok to fire away with your questions and concerns----that's part of their job.

Take care, El

it was hard and non moveable
    it was hard and non moveable felt like part of the expander. more plastic like than tissue like if that makes any sense.
  • m-star
    Options
    carkris said:

it was hard and non moveable
    it was hard and non moveable felt like part of the expander. more plastic like than tissue like if that makes any sense.

thanks for all your input
    thanks for all your input ladies. Its a releif to know im not the only one thats experienced this,and also that it will probably disappear!
    I was tempted to massage it but then thought if it WAS something sinister,that would be a bad idea. Although i'm sure from all the poking and prodding of it i've doing this last week,its gotten smaller! lol

Yes carkris, the plastic feeling does make sense.Its just the rest of the expander feels sqidgy and you just cant imagine a part of it being that hard.

no looking fwd to todays expansion =(
  • m-star
    Options
    m-star said:

thanks for all your input ladies. Its a releif to know im not the only one thats experienced this,and also that it will probably disappear!
    I was tempted to massage it but then thought if it WAS something sinister,that would be a bad idea. Although i'm sure from all the poking and prodding of it i've doing this last week,its gotten smaller! lol

Yes carkris, the plastic feeling does make sense.Its just the rest of the expander feels sqidgy and you just cant imagine a part of it being that hard.

Well i just came back from
    Well i just came back from my 3rd expansion and my surgeon said the lump is most likely scar tissue.He said massaging the 'lump' may help. I am quite happy with his explanation as i do feel the lump has got smaller since iv been poking and feeling it! Maybe a good massage each day will get rid of it.He said it certainly wont do any harm anyway.

ps. My foobs hurt!! :"-(
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    m-star said:

Hope your expansion fill
    Hope your expansion fill today wasn't too bad for you!
  • greyhoundluvr
    greyhoundluvr Member Posts: 402
    Options
    m-star said:

Well i just came back from
    Well i just came back from my 3rd expansion and my surgeon said the lump is most likely scar tissue.He said massaging the 'lump' may help. I am quite happy with his explanation as i do feel the lump has got smaller since iv been poking and feeling it! Maybe a good massage each day will get rid of it.He said it certainly wont do any harm anyway.

ps. My foobs hurt!! :"-(

Yup
    There's no doubt that the expansions can be a pain (both literally and figuretively) but thankfully I have gotten my last one! And great news on the lump!!