treatment question...

Lylesmyprince
Lylesmyprince Member Posts: 130
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Lyle has been gagging soooo much that it is difficult for him to lay down for radiation. His meds just don't seem to be helping him all that much. He has missed a total of about 1 1/2 weeks of radiation treatments between hospital stays and sickness. Has anyone else experienced this? I just want to get the treatments done and know how the cancer is being effected. I'm trying not to be impatient or nervous...God knows...but I'm a wife...loving her husband...wanting him to have the best treatment...and a real chance to beat this cancer. Each time he comes home without having treatment...a little piece of me feels sad.

Susie

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • unclaw2002
    unclaw2002 Member Posts: 599
    Susie,
    This is a shot in the

Susie,

This is a shot in the dark and of course check with Lyle's doctors and perhaps you have already tried this --- when I went on a cruise years ago we bought wristbands that had accupressure points on the inside of the wrists (they were supposed to help alleviate nausea and did seem to work, never sure if it was the power of suggestion or the bands but seemed to help) also ginger and peppermint seemed to help. If all the medications don't work perhaps they can try a combination or up the dosage if it doesn't hurt Lyle's kidneys. My dad is still very week after his crisis and his blood count is low --- but now they are going to try and cram in his chemo by moving up the days since he missed a couple of weeks. A little scarry with his blood count down. I will be there in a week so hopefully we can help and give him some distractions during his treatment.

I know you are there fighting for Lyle, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,
    Cindy
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Hi Susie and Lyle,
    This is a

Hi Susie and Lyle,
    This is a difficult situation. It is heartbreaking and worrisome when you know you can not get the radiation treatment done. What a pain in the butt the gagging is. I was thinking how about if he takes the anti nausea med about 30 mins before treatment. I agree with the wrist band suggestion. You are right for feeling a little sad. What do the drs think? Or the people who give the radiation? Maybe they would have suggestions. Something has to change, because Lyle must get his treatments! Keep us updated.
    Tina
  • Hi Susie and Lyle,
    This is a

Hi Susie and Lyle,
    This is a difficult situation. It is heartbreaking and worrisome when you know you can not get the radiation treatment done. What a pain in the butt the gagging is. I was thinking how about if he takes the anti nausea med about 30 mins before treatment. I agree with the wrist band suggestion. You are right for feeling a little sad. What do the drs think? Or the people who give the radiation? Maybe they would have suggestions. Something has to change, because Lyle must get his treatments! Keep us updated.
    Tina

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Lylesmyprince
    Lylesmyprince Member Posts: 130
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Lyle...
    Thanks you guys for your suggestions! We have some of the wrist bands...so I will see if he will try them. Can't hurt to try. Lyle has two meds for nausea...Zofran and Compazine (sp?). He isn't too great at taking his meds. That in itself is frustrating! I asked him this morning to please try to take his meds for nausea every 4 hours as written by the dr and see if that helps him. Today he saw the dr about the feeding tube...he told Lyle to start using it. Even when he can eat...just use it for extra calories and fluid. Lyle wants to remain independent...and I try to let him as much as possible. Right now...we are battling a bit. I am working to bring in income and I need him to work on staying alive. It isn't just the cancer treatments that get left undone...it is also some shortened dialysis treatments as well. The fight has to come from Lyle...I will speak my opinion...and pray he hears me...but ultimately...I can't do the fight for him. I know he is tired of feeling sick, tired, and in pain...I can't change those things for him...I can only love on him and make suggestions. He does take Zoloft for depression...due to lack of hormone coming from the kidneys...maybe I need to give him one of my Ativans to see if that helps him relax enough to complete the treatments. Thanks for always listening, you guys! God has us on a tough journey...but He equips us with the tools (you) we need to get by. You are all a treasure to me!

Susie
  • MOE58
    MOE58 Member Posts: 589 Member

Lyle...
    Thanks you guys for your suggestions! We have some of the wrist bands...so I will see if he will try them. Can't hurt to try. Lyle has two meds for nausea...Zofran and Compazine (sp?). He isn't too great at taking his meds. That in itself is frustrating! I asked him this morning to please try to take his meds for nausea every 4 hours as written by the dr and see if that helps him. Today he saw the dr about the feeding tube...he told Lyle to start using it. Even when he can eat...just use it for extra calories and fluid. Lyle wants to remain independent...and I try to let him as much as possible. Right now...we are battling a bit. I am working to bring in income and I need him to work on staying alive. It isn't just the cancer treatments that get left undone...it is also some shortened dialysis treatments as well. The fight has to come from Lyle...I will speak my opinion...and pray he hears me...but ultimately...I can't do the fight for him. I know he is tired of feeling sick, tired, and in pain...I can't change those things for him...I can only love on him and make suggestions. He does take Zoloft for depression...due to lack of hormone coming from the kidneys...maybe I need to give him one of my Ativans to see if that helps him relax enough to complete the treatments. Thanks for always listening, you guys! God has us on a tough journey...but He equips us with the tools (you) we need to get by. You are all a treasure to me!

Susie

SUSIE I DON'T WANT TO SCARE YOU
    Susie,

I don't want to scare you but this is part of the ugly beast that get hateful, and unless the patient wants to fight, you have a long journey ahead of you. I too went through this with Jeff, just remember its not him its the chemo/radiation doing all this. I hope he follows through with what the doctor says that is the only way he will get well. I have alot more to say but won't cause I don't want to scare you of this nasty disease. Just hang in there and pray that things will get better

Lori/aka moe