ATTN: betsydoglover

Options
Erinb
Erinb Member Posts: 293
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi My Husband's surgeon stated that patients could go on just AVASTIN, but the oncologist said it wasn't approved for colon cancer without a primary chemo treatment. Do you take just AVASTIN? Where are you treated-what town/hospital? I hope you don't mind the questions. Thank you! BTW My husban took folfox and avastin 12 cycles Now he is on FOLFIRI and ERBITUX and has completed one cycle. I don't think he is taking it so well. He has pain, is tired and has nosebleeds. I'm paranoid his platelet count, white blood cells and immunity will be destroyed.
Erin

Comments

• Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Avastin only
    Hi Erin - I did 6 cycles of Xeloda plus Avastin - then we have continued with Avastin only, so it's not like I did no actual chemo. My oncologist says that continuing with Avastin only in cases like mine is kind of "in vogue" right now (she would not have started me on Avastin only, however). Not sure of your husband's situation. I had a recurrence - solitary lung nodule - after being off chemo 3 years - NED so far as anyone can tell after surgery to remove the nodule, but we did the Xeloda/Avastin for "insurance" and I guess continuing the Avastin only is yet more insurance, hopefully (had a negative PET scan last week.

FYI - I live in Silver Spring, MD, just outside of DC and am treated by a local oncologist - no hospital involved other than for my 2 surgeries. I know I am within shouting distance of major cancer centers, but my doc has a very good reputation and is well connected with Georgetown, Hopkins and National Cancer Institute - she'd refer me in a minute if that was warranted.

Good luck,
    Betsy