pancreatic cancer, help needed!

Options
msccolon
msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
a dear friend of my daughter has just found out that her mother in law has pancreatic cancer with spread to her liver. They are, as you would expect, devastated. They have checked with Duke and can't get in to see a doctor for 2 months, which probably is too long to wait. Any suggestions or referrals? They live in the Charlotte area and expect Duke and Chapel Hill to be their desired target area. Any help would be appreciated!
mary

Comments

• thready
    thready Member Posts: 474
    Options
    Other areas
    What about MD Anderson in Houston. They tend to focus on clinical trials but there might be help there. I know that MDA can get people in to see their doctors quickly.
    Jan
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Texas
    Baylor University in Dallas has a world renowned liver surgeon...he did my RFA - he helped to pioneer the procedure.

It's out of their way - but they can probably get in sooner than 2 months.

-Craig
  • TLG320
    TLG320 Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Sundanceh said:

Texas
    Baylor University in Dallas has a world renowned liver surgeon...he did my RFA - he helped to pioneer the procedure.

It's out of their way - but they can probably get in sooner than 2 months.

-Craig

It's a bit of a hike...
    but, we've got some incredible hospitals here in Baltimore - Johns Hopkins, St. Josephs. And Georgetown is just a bit further south. I know it's a 7 hour drive, but it's a short direct flight too.
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Memorial Sloan Kettering
    Mary,

If they can get to Memorial Sloan Kettering there may be some options there for surgery. My roommate after my surgery had the same exact diagnosis and had just had surgery (Whipple procedure/liver resection) while I was in the hospital. Here is a link: http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/17677.cfm.

Corporate Angels can provide free airfare to NYC and Hope Lodge in NYC can provide free lodging for those undergoing treatment.

All the best,
    Amy
  • msccolon
    Options
    thank you!
    I'm passing on your info! I hope this helps them!
    mary
  • TLG320
    TLG320 Member Posts: 167
    Options
    On second thought...
    Mary,
    I was thinking about this situation this morning and remembered that after surgery, our surgeon recommended a specific oncologist to us. He told us that if we had trouble getting a timely appointment to let him know and he would schedule it for us. Suffice it to say, when my husband called to set up the oncology appointment, the wait time was somewhere around 6 weeks to 2 months. My husband let our surgeon know, and within a few hours the surgeon had called the oncologist personally and scheduled us an appointment for a few days later.

So, I'm wondering the doctor who diagnosed this woman might be able to put in a personal call to an oncology group or specific doctor for her.

Hope this helps,
    Tashina
  • msccolon
    Options
    TLG320 said:

On second thought...
    Mary,
    I was thinking about this situation this morning and remembered that after surgery, our surgeon recommended a specific oncologist to us. He told us that if we had trouble getting a timely appointment to let him know and he would schedule it for us. Suffice it to say, when my husband called to set up the oncology appointment, the wait time was somewhere around 6 weeks to 2 months. My husband let our surgeon know, and within a few hours the surgeon had called the oncologist personally and scheduled us an appointment for a few days later.

So, I'm wondering the doctor who diagnosed this woman might be able to put in a personal call to an oncology group or specific doctor for her.

Hope this helps,
    Tashina

thank you
    I will pass that info on
    mary
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    Here are
    some

University of East Carolina (Greenville SC area?)
    John Hopkins
    MD Anderson
    Sloan Kettering
    Mayo Clinic
    Cleveland Clinic
  • msccolon
    Options
    They found a local oncologist with contacts at Duke
    He made a phone call and they are expecting to hear shortly! Thank you guys for your help, keep the ideas coming!
    mary
  • erikapriddy
    erikapriddy Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
    If your friend does not know about the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, please encourage them to check them out www.pancan.org. They provide a free service call the Patient and Liason Services (PALS) that supports patients, helps them locate clinical trials, etc. They can provide a wealth of information.
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Don't forget Wake Forest Univ. Hospital!!!
    Baptist (just their name, they are not affiliated with the church anymore) is also a comprehensive cancer center like UNC and Duke and it is closer to Charlotte!!!!
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    TLG320 said:

On second thought...
    Mary,

Hope this helps,
    Tashina

That was going to be my suggestion as well
    When I tried to get in at Memorial Sloan Kettering - same thing - 6-8 weeks minimum. When my personal physician called, I was in very quickly.

That advice just got someone else in at Sloan Kettering quickly as well.

Get your drs to call whichever medical center you are most interested in to set up the appointment.