TRYING TO SEE MY DAD BEFORE HE PASSES

alissabarend
alissabarend Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
last year my dad was given a 20% chance to make it 5 years . i have not seen him for 6 to 7 years and he has never met my two lil girls. we live in NY and he is in IL. i would like to go see him and let him meet his grandkids but with the work so low right now so is money. i was told that i might be able to find a charity that would help me with gas to make to 12 hour drive each way but i have just been running into brick walls. if their is someone out there who knows anyone to contact to help i would be forever greatful. my email is alissabarend@gmail.com

Comments

• Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Hi Alissa,
    Your story is

Hi Alissa,
    Your story is heartbreaking. I am wondering why has it been so very long, 6 or 7 years since you have seen your dad? I would hope that you would have went to see him as soon as he was dx'd, last year. I would suggest contacting the ACS. They helped me out with gas allowance while I was taking my dad for his treatments. Not sure if they will, but it is worth a try. Or you can try the local churches. Sometimes the church will do a fund raiser. Good luck, and hope it is not too late for all of you.
    Tina
  • alissabarend
    alissabarend Member Posts: 2

Hi Alissa,
    Your story is

Hi Alissa,
    Your story is heartbreaking. I am wondering why has it been so very long, 6 or 7 years since you have seen your dad? I would hope that you would have went to see him as soon as he was dx'd, last year. I would suggest contacting the ACS. They helped me out with gas allowance while I was taking my dad for his treatments. Not sure if they will, but it is worth a try. Or you can try the local churches. Sometimes the church will do a fund raiser. Good luck, and hope it is not too late for all of you.
    Tina

I had a rough upbring with him and we were not always on the best of terms with each other. but since he has been dx'd we have gotten much closer in the past year and that is why i would like to try and see him to make amens before i can't.
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member

I had a rough upbring with him and we were not always on the best of terms with each other. but since he has been dx'd we have gotten much closer in the past year and that is why i would like to try and see him to make amens before i can't.

Hi Alissa,
    Thanks for more

Hi Alissa,
    Thanks for more info. Now it is easier to understand. There is an 800 # for the ACS on this website's home page. They can let you know if there is help in your area. Best of luck. Let us know.
    Tina