My first session next week with Radiation Oncologist

Options
KayNYC
KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have that 1.5 hour appt with the Rad-Onc on Thurs. I was cleared by the Med-Onc last Thurs to begin Radiation with return to her just before finishing my radiation treatments for Rx for hormone receptor blockers. It was suggested that I increase my Vitamin D supplements by 1000mg/day. I plan to discuss this with my Rad-Onc. but I wanted to run this by you ladies on the breast boards. If we are getting radiation to destroy further cancer growth, wouldn't taking increased antioxidants and supplements to improve or increase cell repair work against the radiation treatment? This sounds counter intuitive. Has anyone else heard this from their Oncologists?
Also a question about wearing a bra during radiation therapy. Is it usually recommended that you don't wear it or is it a decision that most women make due to the discomfort of having something against the skin sensitive after radiation therapy? I have purchased one camisole and one of my coworkers suggested that I buy tees or tanks that are made of very soft material such as peachskin to wear under my dress blouses that I wear for work. I have extremely sensitive skin: I;ve experienced skin breakdown from the EKG electrode paste, can't have any adhesive bandage applied to my skin and react to linens if they are washed in certain detergents.Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
Hugs, K

Comments

• sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Kay,
    You're right - check with rad onc before starting supplements. Every doc is different, but I was told no vits, supplements, green tea until 2 weeks post rad. I wore my hubby's undershirts - you know the ones, like a tank top. They were soft and as comfy as possible. Also camisoles and sometimes unable to wear anything.

I don't want to scare you, just be prepared. Always use your creams, never be afraid to ask techs or doc if you need more than what is initially offered.

And, I aired-out whenever possible.

Hugs to you,

Sue
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Kay,
    You're right - check with rad onc before starting supplements. Every doc is different, but I was told no vits, supplements, green tea until 2 weeks post rad. I wore my hubby's undershirts - you know the ones, like a tank top. They were soft and as comfy as possible. Also camisoles and sometimes unable to wear anything.

I don't want to scare you, just be prepared. Always use your creams, never be afraid to ask techs or doc if you need more than what is initially offered.

And, I aired-out whenever possible.

Hugs to you,

Sue

Hi Kay
    I asked the same questions. My rads onc said not to begin Arimidex until I was done with treatment. She said calcium and Vitamin D were fine. I can't say as I'm to broken hearted over the delay in beginning the Arimidex:)

I've had 12 out of 35 treatments and so far, so good. I found a really soft comfortable silky-ish bra at the Jockey store and I wear that most of the time. I got a couple of non underwire bras for work which do get uncomfortable after a few hours. I'm a little pink and sometimes a little tired, but rads hasn't really been a big deal except for the disruption in work.

Good luck to you,

Victoria
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    aisling8 said:

Hi Kay
    I asked the same questions. My rads onc said not to begin Arimidex until I was done with treatment. She said calcium and Vitamin D were fine. I can't say as I'm to broken hearted over the delay in beginning the Arimidex:)

I've had 12 out of 35 treatments and so far, so good. I found a really soft comfortable silky-ish bra at the Jockey store and I wear that most of the time. I got a couple of non underwire bras for work which do get uncomfortable after a few hours. I'm a little pink and sometimes a little tired, but rads hasn't really been a big deal except for the disruption in work.

Good luck to you,

Victoria

That's what I was tols also,
    That's what I was told also, Vitimin D and Calcium were fine, I HAD to take it because of my Celiac. I started my Arimidex in January. finished my RADS the Thursday befire Christmas weekend.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Kay
    My rads oncologist didn't want me to take any more than twice the RDA of any antioxidant vitamins during rads, but I would definitely ask yours to see what he recommends.

In addition to keeping the lotions on and being gentle with your skin, try to remember to keep hydrated as well to help your body with the side effects from the rads.

I was able to wear a bra for the first part of rads, but haven't worn one for the past two weeks (I have 2 treatments left) just to be on the safe side. Wearing some support can be helpful in keeping the underside of your breast dry. I've got a raw spot there that I'm trying to baby now, and even though any pressure on it hurts, I also want to keep it as dry as possible. I think the idea of tanks or tees is a good one.

I was also told to wash the radiated area by just squeezing suds over the area - no rubbing at all. I'm sure your oncologist or nurse will go over all of this with you when you go for your appointment with them.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    Kay, I would echo all that
    Kay, I would echo all that the previous posters have stated. I, too, have extremely sensitive skin & always use special detergents for all my laundry. For bras, I purchased
    the Just My Size brand in all cotton in a couple of sizes larger. At the very end, I lined the cup with white flannel squares (about 9 x 9) inches. I am a middle school teacher, so I needed to wear a bra every day. I never had to go without one. (I am rather large-busted, so it would have been a disaster without one!) Good luck!
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Tux said:

Kay, I would echo all that the previous posters have stated. I, too, have extremely sensitive skin & always use special detergents for all my laundry. For bras, I purchased
    the Just My Size brand in all cotton in a couple of sizes larger. At the very end, I lined the cup with white flannel squares (about 9 x 9) inches. I am a middle school teacher, so I needed to wear a bra every day. I never had to go without one. (I am rather large-busted, so it would have been a disaster without one!) Good luck!

Thanks to all regarding the
    Thanks to all regarding the issue of bras. I start rads on Mon. and I was wondering about this topic. I am not very large breasted but the uniform I am required to wear has a very scratchy shirt and I worry that it will irritate me more than a bra. I will try the undershirt idea and perhaps a camisole.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Kay
    My rads oncologist didn't want me to take any more than twice the RDA of any antioxidant vitamins during rads, but I would definitely ask yours to see what he recommends.

In addition to keeping the lotions on and being gentle with your skin, try to remember to keep hydrated as well to help your body with the side effects from the rads.

I was able to wear a bra for the first part of rads, but haven't worn one for the past two weeks (I have 2 treatments left) just to be on the safe side. Wearing some support can be helpful in keeping the underside of your breast dry. I've got a raw spot there that I'm trying to baby now, and even though any pressure on it hurts, I also want to keep it as dry as possible. I think the idea of tanks or tees is a good one.

I was also told to wash the radiated area by just squeezing suds over the area - no rubbing at all. I'm sure your oncologist or nurse will go over all of this with you when you go for your appointment with them.

Take care,
    Cindy

My rads oncologist said no
    My rads oncologist said no to any vitamins. Like he said, you don't want anything feeding your good cells or your bad cells and making them healthier. He also said no to tamoxifen as it moves around looking for estrogen and you DON'T want any cells moving around. You want them to stay put so that the rads will kill them.

I used Biafine and Aquaphor as my rads oncologist prescribed. Only use what yours says to use. I didn't wear a bra, but, I could have. I used Dove soap and was very gentle with my skin. I am back to wearing my underwire bra now. And, my skin where I had the rads is beautiful, just like a baby's skin. And, no hair under my arm! And, I don't sweat under my arm anymore either.

Good luck!
  • KayNYC
    Options
    Tux said:

Thank you for all your suggestions...
    I had my simulation yesterday. Along with the tatoos, making of cast and scheduling, they gave me a jar of Aquaphor and skin care eductation by the nurse. My doc gave me clearance to take my multivitamin, Calcium and Vit D but nothing else. I am part of a clinical trial so I will take 2000 of Vit D. Awaiting my Vitamin D levels before starting. He strongly advised no antioxidant supplements but no dietary changes. He encouraged continued "healthy eating" and good hydration with daily exercise. He felt strongly that remaining active would help alleviate the fatigue often felt by others. Although I have several sports and non- underwire bras that I have been using since my surgery, I was advised to get them in larger sizes to avoid binding and irritating the radiated area further. I am on my way out now to seek out some camisoles and soft, larger sized band sized cotton bras. I have to wear dress-casual clothing to the office and the tee type men's undershirts just won't work under my Spring/summer blouses. I am large breasted and I don't really have the option of going braless, in my position. I work a four day work week (forty hours). Right after surgery, I felt like rippihg off my bra by 3PM every day. It took all of my distress tolerance skills to get through the first week or so.
    Looking forward to starting on the 4/13 and completing as scheduled on June 11.Praying for a good course of treatment and outcome.
    K
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    KayNYC said:

Thank you for all your suggestions...
    I had my simulation yesterday. Along with the tatoos, making of cast and scheduling, they gave me a jar of Aquaphor and skin care eductation by the nurse. My doc gave me clearance to take my multivitamin, Calcium and Vit D but nothing else. I am part of a clinical trial so I will take 2000 of Vit D. Awaiting my Vitamin D levels before starting. He strongly advised no antioxidant supplements but no dietary changes. He encouraged continued "healthy eating" and good hydration with daily exercise. He felt strongly that remaining active would help alleviate the fatigue often felt by others. Although I have several sports and non- underwire bras that I have been using since my surgery, I was advised to get them in larger sizes to avoid binding and irritating the radiated area further. I am on my way out now to seek out some camisoles and soft, larger sized band sized cotton bras. I have to wear dress-casual clothing to the office and the tee type men's undershirts just won't work under my Spring/summer blouses. I am large breasted and I don't really have the option of going braless, in my position. I work a four day work week (forty hours). Right after surgery, I felt like rippihg off my bra by 3PM every day. It took all of my distress tolerance skills to get through the first week or so.
    Looking forward to starting on the 4/13 and completing as scheduled on June 11.Praying for a good course of treatment and outcome.
    K

Good luck with rads Kay!
    Good luck with rads Kay! Praying for you!
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    I was told
    I gave the rads onc a listing of the meds and vitamins that I am currently taking and was told to continue taking my Centum Silver and my 2 Caltrate 600+Ds a day but not to add anything that was an sntioxidant.

They told me I could continue to wear a bra as long as it was a soft one. I showed her what I am currently wearing and was told it was okay but it has lace around the bottom and she told me I might want somehing without the lace. Of course my husband told her I could just go braless. I told her I didn't want to poke anyone's eye out. HaHa. So I am looking for a very soft bra probably cotton and I was thinking I could maybe even line it with something like cotton flannel due to all of the creams.

Sending hugs

Donna
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    GayleMc said:

Thanks to all regarding the
    Thanks to all regarding the issue of bras. I start rads on Mon. and I was wondering about this topic. I am not very large breasted but the uniform I am required to wear has a very scratchy shirt and I worry that it will irritate me more than a bra. I will try the undershirt idea and perhaps a camisole.

Sending you good luck for
    Sending you good luck for your rads! I didn't wear a bra as I didn't want to irritate my skin. You can wear a cami if you want.
  • KayNYC
    Options

I was told
    I gave the rads onc a listing of the meds and vitamins that I am currently taking and was told to continue taking my Centum Silver and my 2 Caltrate 600+Ds a day but not to add anything that was an sntioxidant.

They told me I could continue to wear a bra as long as it was a soft one. I showed her what I am currently wearing and was told it was okay but it has lace around the bottom and she told me I might want somehing without the lace. Of course my husband told her I could just go braless. I told her I didn't want to poke anyone's eye out. HaHa. So I am looking for a very soft bra probably cotton and I was thinking I could maybe even line it with something like cotton flannel due to all of the creams.

Sending hugs

Donna

Pretty much the same recommendatons on the vitamins
    Rad Onc suggested continuing Senior Vits, Calcium and Vitamin D. He strongly urged avoidance of antioxidant supplements during rad treatment.
    I have several soft, non underwire, bras but will have to get some in a larger band size. The nurse aaid that if a red mark is left on my skin by my present bra, it will likely cause damage to the radiated sensitive skin. Likewise, I am well endowed in the breast department. I would hate to put out any eyes, by going braless and bouncing will probably be uncomfortable or painful (:(). The cotton flannel sounds like a good idea; I will give it a try. Thanks for your suggestions.
    Hugs,
    K
  • KayNYC
    Options
    Angie2U said:

Good luck with rads Kay!
    Good luck with rads Kay! Praying for you!

Thanks Angie2
    Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.
    K
  • lizzgirl10
    lizzgirl10 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Tux said:

Good to know...
    Tux- This helps as I will start rads next month and have to wear a bra to work, no exceptions with the 'girls' being on the fuller side! I don't want to scare anyone or lose my job :)
    I am anxious over the pending side effects, but we will see what happens. Thanks again for letting me know there is a way to get through all of this.