My Moms Hairloss

Options
2»

Comments

• BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options

Nausea Is The Worst!
    My moms Dr has been giving her different medicine for the nausea but it wont go away!
    right now my mom has a cough it wont stop she cant even sleep!
    i hope tonight she gets some sleep she has an appointment early tomorrow morning theyre gonna check her blood they said...i will ask the Dr about lowering the dozes of chemo my mom is getting and see what her options are, did u get really dry skin when u had your chemos?? my moms skin (especially her face) is getting really really dry! The Dr says its normal and i understand but he says that about everything!
    And if so do u know what i can do to help it out a bit? to desrease the dry skin??

Dry Skin
    Yes I had some dry skin. I used Eucerine Calming Creme. Seemed to help and it was not greasy like some cremes tend to be. I think it is for sensitive skin also. It was recommended by our dermatologist.

Hugs

Donna
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options

Dry Skin
    Yes I had some dry skin. I used Eucerine Calming Creme. Seemed to help and it was not greasy like some cremes tend to be. I think it is for sensitive skin also. It was recommended by our dermatologist.

Hugs

Donna

Also Mary Kay has a cream....
    The name is Intense Moisturizing Cream...lovingly called 'Axle Grease' by the consultants...

It's pink, smells good, and is VERY thick! I smeared it on my bare head, it brought instant relief...where nothing else had helped very much.

Hugs, Kathi
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    I'm sorry
    I'm so sorry you and your family have to go through this. You've gotten great wisdom from others on this site. This will probably be the toughest thing you'll have to go through. I know how sad losing my hair made me feel. I know it wasn't the worst part, I know I was really lucky during treatments not to be as sick as others were, I knew my hair was going to grow back (and it is) -- BUT IT STILL SUCKED TO BE A 56 YEAR OLD BALD WOMAN. Just continue to be there for your mom (dad too). You'll cry together, sometimes you'll laugh together, but you'll get through it together.
    Feel free to come here and vent anytime.
  • IsabelSierra
    IsabelSierra Member Posts: 40
    Options

Accupuncture helped me
    a lot, they can do points for nausea and energy and even diarrhea. My onc lowered my dose after my first reaction was very scary. She said it wouldn't affect my treatment and it made a huge difference.

accupuncture!!
    i was supposed to take my mom today for that! but they called us to reschedule it til wednesday for some reason, but i think its better because her next chemo is on monday hopefully it will help her with the nausea and diarrhea!!
    i hope it has good effects on my mom!
  • IsabelSierra
    Options

Dry Skin

Hugs

Donna

Thanks On The Suggestions!
    imma look into gettin both those lotions for my mom!
    today we went to her onc and he gave me the worst attitude ever!
    he gets mad well he already seemd overwhelmed with all the patients that were in the office today but ughh i hated his attitude towards us!
    i was asking him questions about my moms health just to be calm about her reactions and stuff and he was just gettin all mad i hate it when doctors are like that!
    but i guess i had to understand his day was busyy and it was barely 10am!
    but thanks for the info!!

Isabel...
  • IsabelSierra
    Options

I'm sorry
    I'm so sorry you and your family have to go through this. You've gotten great wisdom from others on this site. This will probably be the toughest thing you'll have to go through. I know how sad losing my hair made me feel. I know it wasn't the worst part, I know I was really lucky during treatments not to be as sick as others were, I knew my hair was going to grow back (and it is) -- BUT IT STILL SUCKED TO BE A 56 YEAR OLD BALD WOMAN. Just continue to be there for your mom (dad too). You'll cry together, sometimes you'll laugh together, but you'll get through it together.
    Feel free to come here and vent anytime.

Thanks You Mwallace
    i know my nephew is 8 years old and he has been my moms biggest pride and joy ever since he was born! my mom started loosing her hair on thursday my nephew left to his dads house for the weekend so he missed out on friday saturday and sunday and today when he came back home from school and saw my mom wearing a little hat, first thing he asked was why are u wearing that mommy? (its his grandma but hes always called her mommy) she just started tearing up its getting very hard for my mom but hopefully a wig will help her self esteem, i feel sad when shes sad but in days like today that im feeling okay i try to boost up her mood too!
    im glad your hair is growing back!!!

Thank You

Isabel...
  • BlownAway60
    Options

Thanks On The Suggestions!
    imma look into gettin both those lotions for my mom!
    today we went to her onc and he gave me the worst attitude ever!
    he gets mad well he already seemd overwhelmed with all the patients that were in the office today but ughh i hated his attitude towards us!
    i was asking him questions about my moms health just to be calm about her reactions and stuff and he was just gettin all mad i hate it when doctors are like that!
    but i guess i had to understand his day was busyy and it was barely 10am!
    but thanks for the info!!

Isabel...

Onc
    Isabel

If your mom's onc does not have time to explain things to you or to her, then your mom may need to think about changing doctors. Just because he is busy is no excuse. He cannot be nearly as stressed as you or your mom are. I changed doctors after my third chemo. It was not easy but it was the best thing for me. Your mom will have to see her onc for a long time even after chemo is finished. She needs to have one that will at least be civil to her and that she can trust to do what is right for her.

Hugs

Donna
  • IsabelSierra
    Options

Onc
    Isabel

If your mom's onc does not have time to explain things to you or to her, then your mom may need to think about changing doctors. Just because he is busy is no excuse. He cannot be nearly as stressed as you or your mom are. I changed doctors after my third chemo. It was not easy but it was the best thing for me. Your mom will have to see her onc for a long time even after chemo is finished. She needs to have one that will at least be civil to her and that she can trust to do what is right for her.

Hugs

Donna

seriouslyyy
    he was really rude...how does changing your onc work??
    do we have to tell the insurance or what??
    i am going to mention this to my mom, she just kept sayin afterwards
    "its because it was busy there was a lot of people" but i kept telling her i understand but i care more about her feeling better and hes the one that can tell me what to do to help her...thanks for the suggestion Donna!!
  • BlownAway60
    Options

seriouslyyy
    he was really rude...how does changing your onc work??
    do we have to tell the insurance or what??
    i am going to mention this to my mom, she just kept sayin afterwards
    "its because it was busy there was a lot of people" but i kept telling her i understand but i care more about her feeling better and hes the one that can tell me what to do to help her...thanks for the suggestion Donna!!

Create a new post explaining what happened at the doctor's office and see what kind of comments you get from the rest of the survivors but it is ultimately your moms decision.

Hugs

Donna
  • Emilyfimily
    Emilyfimily Member Posts: 141
    Options

Thanks You Mwallace
    i know my nephew is 8 years old and he has been my moms biggest pride and joy ever since he was born! my mom started loosing her hair on thursday my nephew left to his dads house for the weekend so he missed out on friday saturday and sunday and today when he came back home from school and saw my mom wearing a little hat, first thing he asked was why are u wearing that mommy? (its his grandma but hes always called her mommy) she just started tearing up its getting very hard for my mom but hopefully a wig will help her self esteem, i feel sad when shes sad but in days like today that im feeling okay i try to boost up her mood too!
    im glad your hair is growing back!!!

Thank You

Isabel...

dry skin etc
    Hey there, Isabel,
    You are such a good "kid" for taking such good care of your Mom!!
    I don't have BC, but I sneak around this site a lot b/c my chemo is similar to some BC chemo, and lots more people visit on this site and these ladies are sooooooo nice :)
    I just finished up treatment with single agent doxorubicin, and have had big troubles with dry skin - especially my face. Only towards the last treatment did I find out the combo that worked the best. Everybody's skin's different, but I found that Olay Hydrating Cream for Sensitive Skin works for moisturizing without irritating, and Aveeno Ultra Calming Cream Cleanser works for washing. And both of those should be at your local Wal-Mart or Target. The aveeno stuff isn't like a soap - doesn't lather. Feels like you're rubbing mayonnaise around on your face. But, it's niiiiiiiice. (:
    Also, I had the dehydration vomiting diarrhea problem my first couple rounds till they got my anti nausea medicine figured out. Before then, though, my mom brought me a bunch of Natural Unsweetened Applesauce cups. I thought, "you're crazy..." but it actually tasted good and I suppose it helped at least a little with deyhdration. Also found out later it's a good thing to eat if you're on Zofran, cause, holy smokes that stuff could replace the Hoover Dam, if you know what I mean.
    I hope things get better for your Mom soon! I'll say a few prayers for you guys if you don't mind. Take care!
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    Options
    Isabel, You are amazing!
    Isabel, You are amazing! Your mother is very lucky to have such a caring daughter! I know that this is very scary for all of you, but know that she will get through this. I have been going through my cancer journey without the love or support of my family. Fortunately, I do have good friends that have come forward. I was blessed with a wonderful medical oncologist who was very caring and I finished my chemo earlier this month. I was terrified at the thought of losing my hair (it was long, halfway down my back), but once it happened, I cried, but am now okay. I couldn't get any help from the ACS - they told me they had no programs in my area - so I am finding my own way. I only wear my wig to work and to church (I work at an elementary school).

If your mom's doctor is not treating her with respect, she has every right to change to another oncologist. This is a difficult enough journey, you need to have people on your side.

I am glad you found this website, I wish I had found it sooner. The women on here are incredible! Some of their stories are unbelievable. And sometimes I am afraid to ask something because I think others will think I am being stupid, but that doesn't happen here. You can ask anything! Or find that someone else already asked the same thing!

I will keep your family in my prayers, hugs to you and your mother!

Heidi