What is an Angio ?

Options
TulsaMomof3
TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
They scheduled me for an Angio and Ct scan right before my surgery. What type of test are these how are they done - I am unfamiliar??

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    "Angio" is a heart test to
    "Angio" is a heart test to evaluate your heart before starting Chemo as far as I 'member.
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Rague said:

"Angio" is a heart test to
    "Angio" is a heart test to evaluate your heart before starting Chemo as far as I 'member.

Angio or Echo
    An Echocardiogram shows the ejection fraction of your heart before you start chemo.

Wikipedia definition of an Angiography:
    Angiography or arteriography is a medical imaging technique used to visualize the inside, or lumen, of blood vessels and organs of the body, with particular interest in the arteries, veins and the heart chambers. This is traditionally done by injecting a radio-opaque contrast agent into the blood vessel and imaging using X-ray based techniques such as fluoroscopy. The word itself comes from the Greek words angeion, "vessel", and graphein, "to write or record". The film or image of the blood vessels is called an angiograph, or more commonly, an angiogram.

Although the term angiography is strictly defined as based on projectional radiography, the term has been applied to newer vascular imaging techniques such as CT angiography and MR angiography.

I always have an Echocardiogram but depending on your doctor depends on the test they choose.

Margo
  • TulsaMomof3
    Options

Angio or Echo
    An Echocardiogram shows the ejection fraction of your heart before you start chemo.

Wikipedia definition of an Angiography:
    Angiography or arteriography is a medical imaging technique used to visualize the inside, or lumen, of blood vessels and organs of the body, with particular interest in the arteries, veins and the heart chambers. This is traditionally done by injecting a radio-opaque contrast agent into the blood vessel and imaging using X-ray based techniques such as fluoroscopy. The word itself comes from the Greek words angeion, "vessel", and graphein, "to write or record". The film or image of the blood vessels is called an angiograph, or more commonly, an angiogram.

Although the term angiography is strictly defined as based on projectional radiography, the term has been applied to newer vascular imaging techniques such as CT angiography and MR angiography.

I always have an Echocardiogram but depending on your doctor depends on the test they choose.

Margo

I am having the DIEP flap so
    I am having the DIEP flap so maybe its for the vien mapping? idk
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options

I am having the DIEP flap so
    I am having the DIEP flap so maybe its for the vien mapping? idk

Interesting. I had the DIEP
    Interesting. I had the DIEP surgery and didn't have any tests like this, unless they did them when I was under the anesthesia. I did have a CT scan, but it was unrelated to my surgery.

Joyce
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    jk1952 said:

Interesting. I had the DIEP
    Interesting. I had the DIEP surgery and didn't have any tests like this, unless they did them when I was under the anesthesia. I did have a CT scan, but it was unrelated to my surgery.

Joyce

Clearance for the surgery
    You need to have several test done before your DIEP surgery, which is a major surgery fro 8 -12 hours. EKG usually is enough, but if your internist is not sure about your heart you could be asked to do Eco.
    Goods luck
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Clearance for the surgery
    You need to have several test done before your DIEP surgery, which is a major surgery fro 8 -12 hours. EKG usually is enough, but if your internist is not sure about your heart you could be asked to do Eco.
    Goods luck

I can't add more than what
    I can't add more than what the others wrote, but, want to wish you good luck!
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Options
    angio
    Angio is short for angiography. It is a common term for heart catherization (at least on the east coast anyway). A heart cath looks at the blood vessels of the heart,it shows blockages of those arteries, how the chambers are working, your ejection fraction (measure of heart function). It shows areas of the heart that aren't getting enough blood supply as well as areas that have been damaged. The CT scan could be looking at anything. I would call the MD's office for more information on both procedures, what are they looking for or looking at and how it is done, what do you need to know to prepare for the tests. An angio requires bed rest at the hospital or where the procedure is done, then bedrest at home until the next day, usually no driving for 24 hours sometimes 48 hrs. My way of saying, they need to give you more information---most of us need advance notice to plan for that sort of thing so, they should supply it. This is probably too much information but I hope it helps.
    Hugs, El
  • TulsaMomof3
    Options

angio
    Angio is short for angiography. It is a common term for heart catherization (at least on the east coast anyway). A heart cath looks at the blood vessels of the heart,it shows blockages of those arteries, how the chambers are working, your ejection fraction (measure of heart function). It shows areas of the heart that aren't getting enough blood supply as well as areas that have been damaged. The CT scan could be looking at anything. I would call the MD's office for more information on both procedures, what are they looking for or looking at and how it is done, what do you need to know to prepare for the tests. An angio requires bed rest at the hospital or where the procedure is done, then bedrest at home until the next day, usually no driving for 24 hours sometimes 48 hrs. My way of saying, they need to give you more information---most of us need advance notice to plan for that sort of thing so, they should supply it. This is probably too much information but I hope it helps.
    Hugs, El

Wow that is great
    Wow that is great information! MS Independant! I will call tomorrow and ask all of those things!