Chemo is getting harder--Radiation Do's and Don'ts? Please help.

Options
missrenee
missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone: I just entered this site yesterday. I was diagnosed with Stage 3, Grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma, with 10 out of 23 lymph nodes involved on Nov. 17, 2009. I had a lumpectomy, axial node dissection and another surgery to get clean margins in December. I started aggressive chemo in January (TAC) and just had my fifth treatment. I have one more left (May 6th) and then an appointment with the Rad. Onc. for radiation therapy. The chemo is getting tougher--no energy, queasy, foods taste terrible, constipated. I still have occasional pain, swelling, pins and needles and numbness on the side of my breast and under my arm. Is this normal after 4 months? Also, any tips on being able to get through the radiation as easily as possible? Thank you all so much--blessings to you all.

Comments

• Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Radiation help
    Hi Missrenee,
    My best advise is to use the cream twice a day even if your skin is fine. This advise was given to me and it really helps.
    I did burn a little up by my neck and collar bone but I wasn't using the cream there. I didn't know that they radiated that high.
    Wherever I used the cream, I didn't burn.
    Best of Luck.
    After chemo, rad is a breeze.
    Wanda
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options
    keep your skin moisturized
    keep your skin moisturized with the creams they recommend you use. Get rest!!

I didn't burn... I was lucky only got dark brown. I found the worse part was having to go there EVERY day for 7 weeks.

I know others can tell you horrible stories of burns and fatigue.

The best advice I can give is LISTEN to your body! rest when you can, drink plenty of liquids, don't use any soap on the treated area.. and keep the skin hydrated and moisturized

BEST OF LUCK
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    e_hope said:

keep your skin moisturized
    keep your skin moisturized with the creams they recommend you use. Get rest!!

I didn't burn... I was lucky only got dark brown. I found the worse part was having to go there EVERY day for 7 weeks.

I know others can tell you horrible stories of burns and fatigue.

The best advice I can give is LISTEN to your body! rest when you can, drink plenty of liquids, don't use any soap on the treated area.. and keep the skin hydrated and moisturized

BEST OF LUCK

Rads
    Rads are okay. Use the lotions, use them often, get plenty of rest. I have 8 more to go and haven't burned. Look pretty darn dark brown under my arm and red on my chest. I get tired at night, but it's doable. Then again, I didn't have chemo first so I went into it with probably more energy than some people. They give you a standing appointment -- I chose late afternoon because I'm a morning person and wanted energy for work. Pick a time that works best for you.

I send you warm wishes for easy treatment.

Victoria