depression and cancer

Options
kickin the big C
kickin the big C Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i know all about being positive, praying, and looking for joy in my life post mast., radiation and chemo. yes i take antidepressants and try to eat healthy. i put all these in to play whenever possible BUT i can NOT seem to shake this depression. ideas?

Comments

• BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Big changes
    Don't feel bad about the depression. It's a normal reaction to all we've been through. We're grieving a number of losses - and depression is just a natural part of the grieving process. We've lost parts of our bodies, we've lost our hair if we've undergone chemo, we've lost the feeling that we're invincible. We've had to face a huge disruption in our lives and despite the wonderful support we've received from those who love us - and the faith we have in God, we are human and we have to give ourselves a big break! I expect to ebb and flow with my emotions for another year or so as I allow my body and my spirit to heal. Just be kind to yourself, allow yourself to feel it all, and know that it's all a normal part of the healing process. Grief always ends up with acceptance and joy and the ability to look back on the journey with gratitude because of the things we've learned. I pray that this will be your outcome. Many blessings, Beth
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I Understand.......
    What you are feeling I believe is quite normal....How long has it been? I finished all treatment this past Nov....lumpectomy, chemo then radiation.....I have been able to put the bc aside fairly well.....that's not to say it's not ALWAYS in the back of my mind...I actually had a scare this week getting my first post treatment mammogram....turns out to be a cyst....I fully understand your depression......I too am a fairly tough cookie but this has thrown me for a loop, like everyone else.. I think it takes a long time to find our "new normal"....What was normal before bc is no more......I feel like that life is gone and now I must find a way to live with what has happened to me......I have a great support system in my husband, grown kids, even 4 grands and good friends....BUT......no one except someone who has walked in our shoes can fully grasp the trauma we have suffered...my oncologist told me it is truly classified as Post Traumatic Stress......and that's something that's not easily gotten over....It took me until recently, to get back to "living." I don't have the magic answer...I just try to do all that I did pre BC, things that I enjoyed before are again becoming enjoyable...I just make the best of each day......I don't take any medication, I certainly did though when first diagnosed! I say what ever gets you through the day! Hopefully more "sisters" will respond with ideas to help you........

I wish you well
    Nancy
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Hey kicken
    I am here to say I am having one of the worst days since first diagnosis 14 years ago. I cannot believe how much I feel like I do all those years ago, just waiting and wondering about the two lumps, here again.
    I am actually running around in circles trying to keep from thinking about all the new developments in my previous case. Genetic and HER negative triple testing. Something they can do having kept a piece of my tumor in some vac area being apart of the study to do with aggressive breast cancer with these negative factors.
    I actually had a real good cry realizing all the positivity wasn't going to keep this from me if it is meant to be. I guess it is hard staying positive when reminders of the suffering past still obviously haunt me. I will just try and focus on the miracle of all these years of survival and try and keep busy till it all becomes clear.
    I am surprised at how I feel often thinking I am truly what people see, guess not that strong.
    Tara
  • kickin the big C
    Options
    MAJW said:

I Understand.......
    What you are feeling I believe is quite normal....How long has it been? I finished all treatment this past Nov....lumpectomy, chemo then radiation.....I have been able to put the bc aside fairly well.....that's not to say it's not ALWAYS in the back of my mind...I actually had a scare this week getting my first post treatment mammogram....turns out to be a cyst....I fully understand your depression......I too am a fairly tough cookie but this has thrown me for a loop, like everyone else.. I think it takes a long time to find our "new normal"....What was normal before bc is no more......I feel like that life is gone and now I must find a way to live with what has happened to me......I have a great support system in my husband, grown kids, even 4 grands and good friends....BUT......no one except someone who has walked in our shoes can fully grasp the trauma we have suffered...my oncologist told me it is truly classified as Post Traumatic Stress......and that's something that's not easily gotten over....It took me until recently, to get back to "living." I don't have the magic answer...I just try to do all that I did pre BC, things that I enjoyed before are again becoming enjoyable...I just make the best of each day......I don't take any medication, I certainly did though when first diagnosed! I say what ever gets you through the day! Hopefully more "sisters" will respond with ideas to help you........

I wish you well
    Nancy

depression and cancer
    it has been 1 year since completing radiation, a yr and a half since finishing chemo.
    july 22 will be the 2 year anniver of the mastectomy.
  • kickin the big C
    Options
    24242 said:

Hey kicken
    I am here to say I am having one of the worst days since first diagnosis 14 years ago. I cannot believe how much I feel like I do all those years ago, just waiting and wondering about the two lumps, here again.
    I am actually running around in circles trying to keep from thinking about all the new developments in my previous case. Genetic and HER negative triple testing. Something they can do having kept a piece of my tumor in some vac area being apart of the study to do with aggressive breast cancer with these negative factors.
    I actually had a real good cry realizing all the positivity wasn't going to keep this from me if it is meant to be. I guess it is hard staying positive when reminders of the suffering past still obviously haunt me. I will just try and focus on the miracle of all these years of survival and try and keep busy till it all becomes clear.
    I am surprised at how I feel often thinking I am truly what people see, guess not that strong.
    Tara

we are all unbelievably
    we are all unbelievably strong.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

we are all unbelievably
    we are all unbelievably strong.

Hi
    Look if you find this thread useful:http://csn.cancer.org/node/190260#comment-815956
  • corey50
    corey50 Member Posts: 111
    Options
    DEPRESSION AND CANCER
    in 2 months it will be 5 years since my surgery for breast cancer. i then had chemo and radiation. a few months later i thought i was doing great. had my energy back, hair was growing in.about 1 year after surgery i was experiencing symptoms that i didn't know what they were. i was on tamoxifen and i started having hot flashes and alot of anxiety and starting feeling really blue. i went to an oncology social worker, these are people who all they do is treat people who've had cancer. i found her thru the hospital where i had my surgery. she told me i was depressed. our bodies go thru a trauma when we have cancer, surgery, treatment etc. and we have to process it, not just physically but emotionally too. it felt so good to talk to her and find out i wasn't crazy and that what i was feeling was normal and part of the process.
    i would say now the most important thing i learned is that its normal to be scared after you've had cancer and if you tell yourself that it usually passes.
    please, talk to your oncologist about referring you to someone you can talk to. hopefully you will begin to feel better. but severe depression is very real post cancer diagnosis, so stay on your meds and let your dr. know how you're feeling.
    and realize that some days are better than others. we don't have to be zippity do da every day.
    wishing you good health
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    It is just two years since
    It is just two years since surgery this month and I am still on meds for depression and anxiety. Some days are better, some are....well....some days really suck. It is hard to let go of that old healthy me and accept this new me with its aches, fatigue and scars. I think others with our diagnosis understand it best. It helps to take each day as it comes. And it's the weekend! Yeah! xoxoxo Lynn
  • kickin the big C
    Options
    corey50 said:

DEPRESSION AND CANCER
    in 2 months it will be 5 years since my surgery for breast cancer. i then had chemo and radiation. a few months later i thought i was doing great. had my energy back, hair was growing in.about 1 year after surgery i was experiencing symptoms that i didn't know what they were. i was on tamoxifen and i started having hot flashes and alot of anxiety and starting feeling really blue. i went to an oncology social worker, these are people who all they do is treat people who've had cancer. i found her thru the hospital where i had my surgery. she told me i was depressed. our bodies go thru a trauma when we have cancer, surgery, treatment etc. and we have to process it, not just physically but emotionally too. it felt so good to talk to her and find out i wasn't crazy and that what i was feeling was normal and part of the process.
    i would say now the most important thing i learned is that its normal to be scared after you've had cancer and if you tell yourself that it usually passes.
    please, talk to your oncologist about referring you to someone you can talk to. hopefully you will begin to feel better. but severe depression is very real post cancer diagnosis, so stay on your meds and let your dr. know how you're feeling.
    and realize that some days are better than others. we don't have to be zippity do da every day.
    wishing you good health

depression and cancer
    thanks. i have been seeing an oncology counselor for awhile.
  • kickin the big C
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

It is just two years since
    It is just two years since surgery this month and I am still on meds for depression and anxiety. Some days are better, some are....well....some days really suck. It is hard to let go of that old healthy me and accept this new me with its aches, fatigue and scars. I think others with our diagnosis understand it best. It helps to take each day as it comes. And it's the weekend! Yeah! xoxoxo Lynn

thanks lynn. weekends are
    thanks lynn. weekends are actually harder as all my old friends fell away.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    It's tough emotionally to
    It's tough emotionally to recover from battling cancer. Finding out you have cancer is extremely traumatic. Then the reality of it and the horrible treatments, are not only physically but further emotionally exhausting.

You must be patient with yourself. You will slowly begin to recover and feel more like your old self. I am 4 years out from diagnosis, and still deal with emotional issues related to cancer, but I am feeling much better than even a year ago. I find an antidepressant to be very helpful, and I have seen a counselor. I currently attend a support group and that is also a help.

You can heal emptionally but you have to be kind to yourself, and do anything that you think will give you comfort and peace of mind. Good luck. Eil
  • leb747
    leb747 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    i had been seeing different
    i had been seeing different psychiatrists for 26 years before cancer, for depression and anxiety. yes, it is very normal during this time. i had been doing excellent. my psychiatrist had to adjust my medication up and it's back down again to normal doses. if you are not feeling well, please talk to your Dr. it had turned out my meds. were not working well with the raidiation. it had also taken me 19 years of combining the right meds.to feel emotionally well. but, that was because i have chronic depression, but i know of how you feel.