Done with Chemo and Finally Feel Well Enough to Post!

Options
LadyParvati
LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
The title says it all: the last several weeks have been really rough, and I just didn't expect it! Everything went so easily for me through the first half of chemo (the A/C half), and even after I had a reaction to a blood transfusion at the beginning of the second half (the taxol half), I just expected things to continue being fairly easy . . . . ah, well. Shoulda known better, right? ;)

I finished the last of my taxol treatments Thursday a week ago. A month ago, I got a cold (right before Chemo #7), then it became a really bad sinus infection, then I got the worst UTI I've ever had--and it hasn't gone away despite drinking quarts and quarts of cranberry juice and taking antibiotics. Until today, I felt so down and listless, and the chemo nurses kept threatening me with another blood transfusion because of my hemoglobin being low, but somehow I managed to keep my hemoglobin count just above the minimum that would mandate the transfusion.

I also kept running a low grade fever and kept coughing. When the UTI hit, it hit really fast and HARD--so hard I had to sleep on the bathroom floor two nights (imagine me curled up in a 3 foot by 3 foot square area!). OMG, it hurt!!! I drank nearly two quarts of cranberry juice that night. The next a.m., I went for my last chemo, just praying they'd let me have it. They did!!!

Of course, I told my chemo dr. about the UTI--I was still having some urgency and pain, though the cranberry juice had helped a lot. The chemo dr gave me a Bactrim prescription, which I took over the weekend. I began running a fever Saturday. Monday, I was still running a fever and ended up going to see my chemo dr. again, and she gave me a Macrobid prescription. I kept running the fever and coughing, and the UTI, though I wasn't having the urge to pee quite so often (only every hour instead of constantly!) and it didn't hurt so much, wouldn't quite go away. The fever started getting higher each day if I didn't take Tylenol. It went over 100 on Wednesday, then again yesterday, so i called my chemo nurse. By the time she called back it was 100.6--over the cut-off point for going to the ER, so I was getting ready to do just that, and she confirmed that I should. When I got to the ER yesterday, I was running a fever of 101.2, and they gave me Rocephin via IV and a prescription for Keflex, which I began this a.m.

Today is the first day I've actually felt halfway decent in weeks! I couldn't even get excited about finishing chemo, though I tried.

Now I can! I'm finished with chemo--HOORAY!!!

I feel sooooo much better--able to say HI to everyone and to be happy about finishing chemo! I see my rad dr. this afternoon to get ready for Phase III of my treatment--the last phase!! So much to be excited about!

Hanging in there and excited about NOT being a Chemo Chick,

Sandy

Comments

• BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    Sooooo Glad You Are Feeling Better
    Sooooo glad you are feeling better and are finally done with Chemo.

Sending lost of gentle hugs your way

Donna
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Sandy Hooray!! Chemo is
    Sandy Hooray!! Chemo is done! I'm so happy for you but very sorry you had all the other health issues during chemo. I finished chemo 3 weeks ago and know what a feeling it is to be over and done with that part of treatment. A/C went fairly easy for me other than the fatigue and nausea, but taxol absolutely did not agree with me and my onc switched to taxotere. Rads start for me 5/3. I asked to postpone it 2 weeks so that I could regain some of my energy.

You are on your way. Wishing you many good days ahead. You go girl!
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    natly15 said:

Sandy Hooray!! Chemo is
    Sandy Hooray!! Chemo is done! I'm so happy for you but very sorry you had all the other health issues during chemo. I finished chemo 3 weeks ago and know what a feeling it is to be over and done with that part of treatment. A/C went fairly easy for me other than the fatigue and nausea, but taxol absolutely did not agree with me and my onc switched to taxotere. Rads start for me 5/3. I asked to postpone it 2 weeks so that I could regain some of my energy.

You are on your way. Wishing you many good days ahead. You go girl!

Sandy, so glad you're done
    Sandy, so glad you're done with chemo!!! I give you a lot of credit on finishing the taxol--it kicked my butt and I had to stop after only 1 treatment. I still have side effects from it and I stopped Oct.7th. I wish you fast healing.

Sher
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    Hi Sandy
    I'm glad you're feeling better. It takes time. About 2 months for me to feel like my old self. You'll get there, too.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    laurissa said:

Hi Sandy
    I'm glad you're feeling better. It takes time. About 2 months for me to feel like my old self. You'll get there, too.

Sandy
    Congratulation on finishing Chemo. It is a great accomplishment. Sorry for your side effects, I completely understand Keflex was my friend too, Wishing you quick recovery moving to the next step. Good luck with radiation.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Sandy!!
    That is quite an accomplishment, especially with the side effects you had to endure - Way to Go!!!!

Keep resting up and taking good care of yourself. You will gradually start to feel better and better and regain your strength. The worst is now behind you. You are a true warrior and survivor.

Gentle Hugs,
    Cindy
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

Congratulations Sandy!!
    That is quite an accomplishment, especially with the side effects you had to endure - Way to Go!!!!

Keep resting up and taking good care of yourself. You will gradually start to feel better and better and regain your strength. The worst is now behind you. You are a true warrior and survivor.

Gentle Hugs,
    Cindy

congratulations Sandy, I had
    congratulations Sandy, I had a rough time in chemo and was so happy to finish. I am feeling better every week. even in the middle of rads, rads has been easier, although I am halfway done and headed for the hardest part of rads it is nothing like chemo. hoping for an improved health situation for you and smooth sailing from here on out.
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Options
    Got excited when I saw your post
    Dear Sandy,

I got so excited when I saw your post that I almost fell off my chair. I am so happy that you are finished with Chemo. HIP HIP HOORAY.

I am thrilled that you are on the way to being you. WELCOME BACK.

Lots of Love and Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Chemo Grad, and Welcome Back
    Sandy, you sure have had a rough road, coming out of chemo with such a bad infection. So glad you are feeling better. AND--you completed all of your chemo. YEA!

Congratulations, and welcome back. Rads are not a breeze, but the hardest part of the treatment journey is over.

Wishing you continued recovery from the UTI and smooth sailing (ok, sunbathing?) through Phase III!
  • Calleen
    Calleen Member Posts: 411
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Congratulations, Chemo Grad, and Welcome Back
    Sandy, you sure have had a rough road, coming out of chemo with such a bad infection. So glad you are feeling better. AND--you completed all of your chemo. YEA!

Congratulations, and welcome back. Rads are not a breeze, but the hardest part of the treatment journey is over.

Wishing you continued recovery from the UTI and smooth sailing (ok, sunbathing?) through Phase III!

WOW
    Sandy!! You poor thing! what a fighter you are!! Your done!! I have had you on my mind lately!
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options

Sooooo Glad You Are Feeling Better
    Sooooo glad you are feeling better and are finally done with Chemo.

Sending lost of gentle hugs your way

Donna

Wow You have been through
    Wow You have been through alot! I am so glad you feel better!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    carkris said:

congratulations Sandy, I had
    congratulations Sandy, I had a rough time in chemo and was so happy to finish. I am feeling better every week. even in the middle of rads, rads has been easier, although I am halfway done and headed for the hardest part of rads it is nothing like chemo. hoping for an improved health situation for you and smooth sailing from here on out.

Sorry I am late, but,
    Sorry I am late, but, CONGRATS!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    You're done.......
    Congrats on finishing chemo.....I know first hand as many of us do, what a relief that is....I am PROUD OF YOU!

But heavens what you have been through....I am so sorry.....better days are ahead........the sun will shine again......

Hoping you feel better, REAL soon so you can celebrate your "granduation!"

Peace be with you
  • rrogers34
    rrogers34 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Congrats
    I know how great it feels to be done with Chemo. done with mine last week. WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!! My hemoglobin was down and I was worried they would not allow me to take my last treatment, but, they did, and I did and we are done with them. Now to the next part of the battle.

I'm sorry to hear that you had it so rough the last few weeks.

Your a warrior!
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options
    rrogers34 said:

Congrats
    I know how great it feels to be done with Chemo. done with mine last week. WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!! My hemoglobin was down and I was worried they would not allow me to take my last treatment, but, they did, and I did and we are done with them. Now to the next part of the battle.

I'm sorry to hear that you had it so rough the last few weeks.

Your a warrior!

Hi Sandy, thanks for letting
    Hi Sandy, thanks for letting us know what you've been up to. Glad to hear the chemo is over but sorry you had so many problems. I start my chemo next week and dread it so much because I have a lot of other health issues to start. If it gets rough I'll look at your example and remind myself you made it thru. Rest up and then celebrate when you feel better. Sending you many hugs.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Calleen said:

WOW
    Sandy!! You poor thing! what a fighter you are!! Your done!! I have had you on my mind lately!

Congrats on being done!
    Sue

Congrats on being done!

Sue :)
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Options
    yippeeee!
    So glad you're done but, sorry it became so bad. I hope you feel better every day!!
    Hugs, El
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    elm3544 said:

Wow You have been through
    Wow You have been through alot! I am so glad you feel better!

You have been thru a lot!
    You have been thru a lot! But, congrats and so happy that you are feeling better!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

You're done.......
    Congrats on finishing chemo.....I know first hand as many of us do, what a relief that is....I am PROUD OF YOU!

But heavens what you have been through....I am so sorry.....better days are ahead........the sun will shine again......

Hoping you feel better, REAL soon so you can celebrate your "granduation!"

Peace be with you

Done!
    You are DONE! Congrats to you!

♥ Noel
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options

yippeeee!
    So glad you're done but, sorry it became so bad. I hope you feel better every day!!
    Hugs, El

Oh Sandy, I'm so sorry you had to go through all that.
    Good Lord, it's been one heck of a journey for you so far.
    Well, I hope the rads is not too bad. I'm about done with it, and can tell you that I've done pretty well. Just let the docs know if you start to feel any pain and they have creams to help. I'm pretty red and blistered but it's about done! So we do what we have to do... and support each other through this journey. I'll keep you in my prayers.