Apt. with the Oncologist

Options
geotina
geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Met with the oncologist yesterday and well, I guess no news is really good news.

Cancer is stable and still shrinking. All of George's blood counts, tests, liver test/counts, and the like all come back good, well very good. He has maintained weight and and his breathing is good, no problems with the lung mets.

Is the cancer there, yes, but in the big picture he is doing very well, something that was unexpected due to the severity of the cancer. We are going to maintain the chemo he is on since it is doing its job. Should things act up or the chemo stop doing its job then the doc said there are lots of options left so not to worry there, leave the worrying to him. We don't go back for 8 weeks now and at that time we will schedule scans to see where we are at.

Since George is a year out I asked about a follow up colonoscopy and he said no, it is not necessasary at this time because George is still on Avastin/5FU and Leucovorin and we have a pretty good picture of where things are at this time. Don't know if that is right or wrong but they have done so well with us so far so I will bring it up again at a later appointment.

George wants to take a trip out west around Labor Day and I was a little bit leary about it but the oncologist again said why not. Since George is doing so well considering his disease there is no reason not go. He said you go ahead and schedule the trip and leave the rest to him. Looks like we will have to tighten the budget up this summer to make the trip a go but if he continues to feel as good as he does now guess I agree with the oncologist, why not.

Thats about it, again, I guess no news really is good news.

Take care - Tina

Comments

• baldwin
    baldwin Member Posts: 25
    Options
    This is good news indeed.
    This is good news indeed. Just to let you know, my husband's doctor did have my husband have follow up colonoscopies since his diagnosis in 2007. They did find polyps with the first one and the one he had last month was all clear. So, if this is something that you feel should be done, you probably should revisit the subject with the doctor again.

Good Luck,
    Joanne
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    sounds good
    This sounds like good news & go start planning that trip!!!

Hugs,
    Lisa
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Hi Tina,
    This sounds like

Hi Tina,

This sounds like extremely good news to me - everything sounds stable +/or shrinkiing! Fantastic that George wants to travel, too! Do you know where you will go? Thanks for sharing this happy news with us. Please pass on my congrats to George.
  • lcarper2
    lcarper2 Member Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    AnneCan said:

Hi Tina,
    This sounds like

Hi Tina,

This sounds like extremely good news to me - everything sounds stable +/or shrinkiing! Fantastic that George wants to travel, too! Do you know where you will go? Thanks for sharing this happy news with us. Please pass on my congrats to George.

Tina
    that is wonderful news and Praise God for the work he has done so far and he is still on the job...Praying for you
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Go West!
    Tina

You and George enjoy the trip - planning for it will be a huge boost to you both - and getting out somewhere new - oh, th excitement of it all!

I look forward to the day when we can get outta' here and go somewhere - anywhere:)

The report sounds good, so "strike while the iron is hot."

All the best - Craig
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    good news is always welcome!
    Sounds like you got a good report and I like the idea of you guys planning that trip! Getting on with the business of living helps a great deal when you are dealing withe the icks that are this beast! I pray for continued good treatments!
    mary
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Go!
    Take the trip! Take pictures! Tell us all about it, so we can live vicariously through you.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    Thank you all
    who have responded. It was hard sharing good news with all the sad news on he board these last few days. Craig is right, strike while the iron is hot and George did just that with the onc saying go, why not. He got the internet and using his airline miles managed to snag two free tickets well almost free, they cost $10.00 to us for 2 round trip tickets. He is now working on snagging free hotel rooms with those Marriott points.

Thanks all - Tina
  • sfmarie
    sfmarie Member Posts: 602
    Options
    Tina
    This sounds wonderful! I hope you and George can take a trip someplace nice Labor Day. I continue to hold you both in my prayers and know he is lucky to have you. Yours is such a deep love!

Marie
  • krf
    krf Member Posts: 98
    Options
    Stable
    That is great Tina! We always want a grand slam- cancer is gone, miracle cure, etc. But in this world, it is great to celebrate stable. In our world, stable is life, and life is good. And you have stable and shrinking- that is wonderful.
    I read through Eric's 'vent' post last night and was so struck at how much more I do appreciate small things and I wonder if I would had cancer not come to our door. I share his frustrations with petty grievances, but on the flip side, I know I appreciate the small things more than many I encounter outside the cancer world. Silver lining, perhaps? Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Stable is no small thing here. And shrinking is a huge thing! It is worthy of a grand trip West to celebrate life!
    Thinking of you often...

Kim
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    geotina said:

Thank you all
    who have responded. It was hard sharing good news with all the sad news on he board these last few days. Craig is right, strike while the iron is hot and George did just that with the onc saying go, why not. He got the internet and using his airline miles managed to snag two free tickets well almost free, they cost $10.00 to us for 2 round trip tickets. He is now working on snagging free hotel rooms with those Marriott points.

Thanks all - Tina

George has the right spirit
    George has the right spirit - enjoy travelling etc. I don't think you can get much better than $10 for two airline tickets, good for him! Good luck with the rooms!
  • Brenda3.16
    Brenda3.16 Member Posts: 209
    Options
    krf said:

Stable
    That is great Tina! We always want a grand slam- cancer is gone, miracle cure, etc. But in this world, it is great to celebrate stable. In our world, stable is life, and life is good. And you have stable and shrinking- that is wonderful.
    I read through Eric's 'vent' post last night and was so struck at how much more I do appreciate small things and I wonder if I would had cancer not come to our door. I share his frustrations with petty grievances, but on the flip side, I know I appreciate the small things more than many I encounter outside the cancer world. Silver lining, perhaps? Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Stable is no small thing here. And shrinking is a huge thing! It is worthy of a grand trip West to celebrate life!
    Thinking of you often...

Kim

Tina,
    That is great news.

Tina,

That is great news. Thanks for sharing it with us. I am glad that you are planning the trip.

Brenda