Newbie :)

Options
jc2005
jc2005 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi there! I was recently diagnosed with Stage II Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. I found my lump on March 8th while I was reading a book to my son. I called the doctor right away and I ended up having an U/S and mammogram scheduled within two days. They couldn't tell from the U/S what it was so they told me I had to have a biopsy. They went to get my husband and when he walked in he looked terrified. I told him everything was ok, they are just checking things a little further. Cancer was the last thing on my mind. Well after a nice long weekend of waiting, I got the call on Tuesday, March 16th from my OB. All I remember her saying is "I'm so sorry, it's cancer." I had my break down, my husband called my mom and my family was over right away. All I could think was this is not even possible, I am only 29 years old.

I ended up having an MRI and met soon after with a surgeon. My path report came back and I am a triple negative. She told me my options and we decided to go with a double mastectomy. I had that done on April 8th, everything went great. The margins were clear and there was no lymph node involvement. The tumor ended up being 2.1cm. I was also tested for the BRCA 1 & 2 gene mutation since there is no breast cancer history in my family, we are still waiting on those results.

We met with my oncologist today and I am going to start chemo treatment on May 13th. I am having 4 treatments every other week of adriamycin & cytoxan. Then after those, I will have 4 treatments every other week of taxol. I am very nervous, but since finding this site I am so hopeful that things will go well. I hope and pray that someday they will find a cure.

Comments

• sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    JC
    I am so sorry for all that you have gone through. Now that you are here, you will have an army fighting with you.

Hugs and prayers, dear girl,

Sue
  • gobluegirl90
    gobluegirl90 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    JC
    I was diagnosed on 4/8/10 with IDC stage I, Triple Negative. I had a biopsy on 4/7/10, then called on 4/8/10..then next day with news. It took me 2 days to stop crying. I have two kids 9 and 10. My biopsy showed 1.3CM. I am waiting for my BRAC tests. It does not run in my family either i am 38yrs. I am having a lumpectomy with a sentinel node biopsy tomorrow 4/23/10. Then chemo and radiation both. My Surgeon said i was a great canidate for lumpectomy with chem and radiation. I am in the DFW area. My surgery is at 1230 tomorrow and I am ready to get this tumor out of me and get on with this chemo and radication and kick this cancers a**!!

Good luck to you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    JC
    Welcome to this site, although of course I'm sorry for the reason you're here. You will find a great deal of useful information and unbelievable support from this outstanding group of women and men.

I think all of us are nervous about chemo. You see so much in the movies that make it just look horrendous, but fortunately is usually isn't nearly that bad. I was one of the luck ones (I had 4 rounds of Cytoxan and Taxotere) that had very few side effects. Not a walk in the park, but it is doable, and you have a great resource here to prepare for it.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options

JC
    I was diagnosed on 4/8/10 with IDC stage I, Triple Negative. I had a biopsy on 4/7/10, then called on 4/8/10..then next day with news. It took me 2 days to stop crying. I have two kids 9 and 10. My biopsy showed 1.3CM. I am waiting for my BRAC tests. It does not run in my family either i am 38yrs. I am having a lumpectomy with a sentinel node biopsy tomorrow 4/23/10. Then chemo and radiation both. My Surgeon said i was a great canidate for lumpectomy with chem and radiation. I am in the DFW area. My surgery is at 1230 tomorrow and I am ready to get this tumor out of me and get on with this chemo and radication and kick this cancers a**!!

Gobluegirl
    We'll be with you holding your hand tomorrow for your surgery, so make sure to tell the surgeon that if he feels the presence of more people that he can see, it's because your pink sisters are there with you.

Please let us know how you're doing once you feel up to it.

Hugs,
    Cindy
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Prayers are with you, dear girl
    JC, I hear more and more of young girls that are going through this disease. It astounds me and has stirred up a passion in my heart for what I can do to be of encouragement to the under 40 girls! I'm turning 55 in May and thought I was too young to be going through this when I got my news. The one thing I've already seen in you and other girls in the 20s and 30s is your unwavering courage, strength of character, and hope. I'm so impressed with your kick butt attitude and I think you are all a great source of inspiration. We'll be here for you as you walk the road ahead. You'll do it! You're a survivor!
    Many blessings, Beth
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    BethInAz said:

Prayers are with you, dear girl
    JC, I hear more and more of young girls that are going through this disease. It astounds me and has stirred up a passion in my heart for what I can do to be of encouragement to the under 40 girls! I'm turning 55 in May and thought I was too young to be going through this when I got my news. The one thing I've already seen in you and other girls in the 20s and 30s is your unwavering courage, strength of character, and hope. I'm so impressed with your kick butt attitude and I think you are all a great source of inspiration. We'll be here for you as you walk the road ahead. You'll do it! You're a survivor!
    Many blessings, Beth

Sending good thoughts
    Welcome, and sorry you had to find this site.

Sending you good thoughts and positive energy,

Victoria
  • dianebraun
    dianebraun Member Posts: 51
    Options
    I had the genetic testing
    I had the genetic testing done 8 years ago and tested negative. My mom had breast CA at age 42, her mom at 46 and now me, at age 46. My doc said even though I tested negative, there is not a doubt in his mind I inherited the cancer. They just don't have enough tests out yet. Consider the Oncotype DX testing. It will give you a score of the chances your cancer will reoccur, which helps in confirming or deciding the chemo choice your oncologist has made for you. I got a low score (thankfully!) so I will be starting taxotere/cytoxen next week. If I tested high, it would have been a long term treatment of adriamycin....also known as "the red devil" by a few of the nurses.
    Best of luck to you,and to all of the others who are chemo-bound.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

JC
    I am so sorry for all that you have gone through. Now that you are here, you will have an army fighting with you.

Hugs and prayers, dear girl,

Sue

Welcome JC, though sorry for
    Welcome JC, though sorry for the reason. I am so very sorry also that you have to go thru this. We will all help you in anyway that we can. Take care!
  • katznc
    katznc Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Hugs to you
    Welcome to the site and the warriors. You are not alone as there are a lot of young people on this site and triple neg ladies also. My godson's wife was dx at 25 and is now 6 years cancer free. Hugs
  • mandy000
    mandy000 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    hey girl going thru it too, just a few days difference...
    Hello, I am reading your blog and feel as tho I am reading my own story... I am 28 and I had my bilateral mastectomy on April 12, after doing biopsies on 2 out of the 5 lumps that occurred. I start seeing my oncologist on Tues to determine my chemo treatments, and go in for my reconstruction on May 3rd... I have you in my thoughts and if there is anything you feel like chatting about, I would be more then happy to chit chat.
  • Fabu
    Fabu Member Posts: 29
    Options
    mandy000 said:

hey girl going thru it too, just a few days difference...
    Hello, I am reading your blog and feel as tho I am reading my own story... I am 28 and I had my bilateral mastectomy on April 12, after doing biopsies on 2 out of the 5 lumps that occurred. I start seeing my oncologist on Tues to determine my chemo treatments, and go in for my reconstruction on May 3rd... I have you in my thoughts and if there is anything you feel like chatting about, I would be more then happy to chit chat.

Wishing you well
    I'm sorry you are going through this and being such a young mom. I. myself, have four children--13, 11, 10, and 6. I'm 40 and will start chemo on Tuesday. Have already had a double mast. What is so great about this board is knowing how many sisters in pink we have fighting the fight with us. We are never truly alone. God bless and keep us updated . . .
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    aisling8 said:

Sending good thoughts
    Welcome, and sorry you had to find this site.

Sending you good thoughts and positive energy,

Victoria

I am sorry that you found us
    I am sorry that you found us because of our bc. But, you have found a wonderful group of survivors that you can rely on for info, prayers and strength. Good luck with your chemo.

Sue :)
  • jc2005
    Options

JC

gobluegirl
    I hope that everything went well for you and you are having a comfortable recovery. My prayers have been with you and will continue to be. We will get through this!
  • jc2005
    Options
    Fabu said:

Wishing you well
    I'm sorry you are going through this and being such a young mom. I. myself, have four children--13, 11, 10, and 6. I'm 40 and will start chemo on Tuesday. Have already had a double mast. What is so great about this board is knowing how many sisters in pink we have fighting the fight with us. We are never truly alone. God bless and keep us updated . . .

Thank you
    Thank you so much everyone for your caring thoughts. I will be sending my prayers to all of you. It is so great to know that we are not alone during this journey in our lives.
  • tat2granny
    tat2granny Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Fabu said:

Wishing you well

JC
    Glad you found this place! Believe me if I hadn't, I'd be a basket case! Everyone here has walked the same walk. You may not be able to see us, but we all are right by your side. And we understand what you are going thru. I myself am into my 4th round of chemo. You and I are taking the same thing. So far I have been fine. The chemo itself is very doable! My only problem is the shot the next day. But of course I am a lot older than you (55) and my poor joints are bad! You will breeze right thru it. Just keep an open mind and know that each of us are different. Keep us posted and know that there are a lot of people here that care! Someone is always here for you. Sending hugs and prayers your way!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Fabu said:

Wishing you well

Hi Jc! Just wishing you
    Hi Jc! Just wishing you good luck and sending you prayers!

Hugs, Leeza