Shortness of breath with expanders?

Options
Dawne.Hope
Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
edited November 2022 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a double mast. at the end of Feb with immediate reconstruction. I've had three fills in the expanders thus far and with the last one I've experienced some shortness of breath. I thought I read (on here?) that the expansions can cause it, but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

It is getting better, but not completely gone.

Thank you for your responses! :)

Comments

• seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Question for Dr
    That sounds like a question to ask your Dr. to be sure nothing else is going on. I did not have shortness of breath during my expander experience, but maybe it does happen to some. I would guess that it is a temporary thing, maybe brought on by the physical/mental/emotional stress of the whole cancer exprience. I have no idea. Glad it's getting better.

Take care, seof
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    Options
    Hi Dawne,
    yes i've had a

Hi Dawne,

yes i've had a shortness of breath and a very tight chest with my expansion.Not so much the first one but the second one was bad for about 3 days after.I also developed a cough within half an hour of my fills.
    My 3rd expansion is next thurs -29th- so i'll let you know what happens after that one!

My friend also got the same as me with ALL her expansions.She said the pressure of the fills pushes down on your chest wall and effects your lung function until the skin has 'given' enough.If i take a huge,deep breath right now,i can feel the tightness still there and this is 15 days since my 2nd expansion.

I have a sneaky feeling they're gonna get worse with each expansion too! =(

Kay
  • youngnana
    youngnana Member Posts: 41
    Options
    I have had 4 fills so far,
    I have had 4 fills so far, and have 3 left to go. No shortness of breath, but do feel tightness, and heavyness, and now am experiencing pretty severe back aches the day of and day after a fill. I spoke with the nurse, and she confirmed that some people have more discomfort the fuller they become. I was of average size before, and currently these are larger than I was previously. So, I cant imagine what they will be like when complete? Good luck to you.
    Karen
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    youngnana said:

I have had 4 fills so far,
    I have had 4 fills so far, and have 3 left to go. No shortness of breath, but do feel tightness, and heavyness, and now am experiencing pretty severe back aches the day of and day after a fill. I spoke with the nurse, and she confirmed that some people have more discomfort the fuller they become. I was of average size before, and currently these are larger than I was previously. So, I cant imagine what they will be like when complete? Good luck to you.
    Karen

thanks!
    I haven't had the back aches or the cough. I know the tightness in the chest. We ate a pretty big meal after my appt. and I thought at first I was just too full, but it has lingered for a few days. Glad to know I'm not alone. I will mention it to the doc when I see her on Tuesday.

Thank you!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

thanks!
    I haven't had the back aches or the cough. I know the tightness in the chest. We ate a pretty big meal after my appt. and I thought at first I was just too full, but it has lingered for a few days. Glad to know I'm not alone. I will mention it to the doc when I see her on Tuesday.

Thank you!

If it gets worse Dawne,
    If it gets worse Dawne, don't wait till Tuesday. At least call your plastic surgeon and tell them. Good luck!
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Options
    yes
    I had shortness of breath for a few days after my last few fills. It was more like I couldn't fill my lungs up enough. It would slowly improve until the next fill. I also had back pain (over the ribs in my back)during the same time frame. The expanders are under muscle and those muscles aren't too happy when they 1st get stretched. I expect it's the same for you but, if you have any question, ask your MD.
    Hugs, El
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

yes
    I had shortness of breath for a few days after my last few fills. It was more like I couldn't fill my lungs up enough. It would slowly improve until the next fill. I also had back pain (over the ribs in my back)during the same time frame. The expanders are under muscle and those muscles aren't too happy when they 1st get stretched. I expect it's the same for you but, if you have any question, ask your MD.
    Hugs, El

Let us know what your doctor
    Let us know what your doctor says Dawne. Hope you feel better.

Hugs, Leeza
  • njbaker
    njbaker Member Posts: 9
    Options
    jnl said:

Let us know what your doctor
    Let us know what your doctor says Dawne. Hope you feel better.

Hugs, Leeza

I also had shortness of
    I also had shortness of breathe frequently after each expansion, I think it's normal but I would still question your doctor just to be safe. It's hard going through the physical changes along with the worry - hope you're feeling much better.
  • Aliciadiggins1
    Aliciadiggins1 Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I don't have cancer but they found a tumor in my chest It wasn't cancerous so I ended up getting 2 breast reductions cause my beast kept growing back that's how the 3rd surgeon found that it was a tumor, than the 3rd surgeon did a double Mastectomy in 2020 and removed both breast ,now I have the tissue expander in they started to fill them on October 20th 2022 I'm on my 5th fill and it hurts really bad cause he put extra saline in my left breast to even it with the rt breast now they hurt really bad and I go back on Tuesday how many cc's do I have to go cause the pain is uncomfortable now it would be my 6th fill