Have any of you heard about this little girl

Options
lmchils57
lmchils57 Member Posts: 59
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I just read about this little girl who is 11 and fighting stage IV colon cancer.The story was on the Facebook site of C3: Colon Cancer Alliance. Here is her story:

11-year old with cancer temporarily locating to Houston for medical care
Charity ride planned for Carey
CLEVELAND COUNTY, NC (WBTV) - 11-year old Carey Heavner is underway with her new chemotherapy. Her mother, Kim Heavner, says the treatments are pretty harsh -- there have been some side effects -- but the family is very grateful to be on a new treatment plan.

WBTV first started following the Fallston girl's cancer battle after her diagnosis in August of 2009. She was an elementary-school aged girl dealing with Stage IV colon cancer.

After six months of chemo treatments in Charlotte, recent scans show the cancer is back in the same original location.

Kim says the doctors in Texas have a new plan which involve heavy doses of chemo every other week. To keep Carey near her new doctors, Kim says the family is going to temporarily relocate to Houston.

Over the phone, Kim told Anchor Molly Grantham to please let everyone know how much the family appreciates the prayers and good thoughts.

A motorcycle ride this weekend will partially benefit Carey. WBT's Keith Larson's Ride for the Kids 8 leaves from Matthews Fun Machines Saturday morning at 10-a-m.

For more information and to register -- you can be a rider or just someone who wants some barbeque Saturday afternoon -- go to http://www.wbt.com/promotions/events/rideforthekids.aspx

Being those parents has got to be hard, it is bad enough being the parent of a 31 yr old battling this but to have an 11 yr old going through has got to be the worst. I know children have different kinds of cancer but you just don't hear of them this young with colon cancer, of course any cancer is horrible especially in the little ones. I just wanted to post this so we can all keep this little girl in our prayers also.

Take care everyone-Linda

Comments

• geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    Linda
    Wow I had not heard about this one. I follow a caring bridge site for a young gal, now 21, battling Stage IV and not doing well at all as of late. Last week her mom posted that they have started having end of life conversations with her. Poor mom, she said as adults how do we talk to each other and having now to discuss this with your child. It is so sad. I follow it because she is being treated with drugs I never heard of for colon cancer. Seems she is in the hospital more now than out, it is so very sad. Her mom was so happy a few weeks ago that Ashley was feeling well and went out with friends to do the things a normal 21 year old girl does.

Makes us very thankful that our loved ones are responding to treatment.

Take care and say Hi to Scott - Tina
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Linda,
    I have not about this

Linda,

I have not about this girl; thanks for sharing this with us. I hope this new treament works well for her.
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    my daughter told me about her when she was in Charlotte
    And of course, she was 10 at the time, and the doctors didn't know what to do with her, since colon cancer treatment is designed for adults! I posted something about her a little ways ago, but I didn't have any details about her, just the fact that she was 10 at diagnosis. So unbelievable!
    mary
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    how terribly sad
    I had not heard about this story, but it really breaks my heart! I don't cry over a lot of things, but hearing about this poor child is very gut wrenching. I had heard about Ashley, a while ago I think she posted on the colon club website..I am sorry to hear that she is not doing well either. Not a day goes by that I do not realize how lucky I have been. Just yesterday I went for my annual "womens" checkup and had a new nurse practitioner. Of course she asked me 100 questions about my colon cancer and how I was so young, blah, blah, etc..I told her that she should look online at some of these cancer forums and she will see that 50 is way too old to start routine screening and that it should really be lowered to 40 - and that blood in the stool should never be dismissed as "just hemmorhoids".
    -Susan H.
  • janklo
    janklo Member Posts: 23
    Options

how terribly sad
    I had not heard about this story, but it really breaks my heart! I don't cry over a lot of things, but hearing about this poor child is very gut wrenching. I had heard about Ashley, a while ago I think she posted on the colon club website..I am sorry to hear that she is not doing well either. Not a day goes by that I do not realize how lucky I have been. Just yesterday I went for my annual "womens" checkup and had a new nurse practitioner. Of course she asked me 100 questions about my colon cancer and how I was so young, blah, blah, etc..I told her that she should look online at some of these cancer forums and she will see that 50 is way too old to start routine screening and that it should really be lowered to 40 - and that blood in the stool should never be dismissed as "just hemmorhoids".
    -Susan H.

Ashley
    I read Ashley's mom's blog and today she posted that the cancer has most likely spread to her lungs and abdominal and chest lymph nodes and possibly to her brain. She is having an MRI to see. Ashley is too weak for more chemo. They are having to put her in hospice care. Poor young girl, she is 21 and diagnosed last August! I wish one of the news magazines would do a story about those in their 20s and 30s with colon cancer to make people aware!
  • lmchils57
    lmchils57 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    janklo said:

Ashley
    I read Ashley's mom's blog and today she posted that the cancer has most likely spread to her lungs and abdominal and chest lymph nodes and possibly to her brain. She is having an MRI to see. Ashley is too weak for more chemo. They are having to put her in hospice care. Poor young girl, she is 21 and diagnosed last August! I wish one of the news magazines would do a story about those in their 20s and 30s with colon cancer to make people aware!

I totally agree
    There needs to be more awareness that colon cancer is no longer an old persons cancer. There are way too many younger people being diagnosed with it, and so often when they are young because screening is not done, they are into stage IV. I know that C3-Colon Cancer Alliance was trying to get our legislatures to recognize the earlier screening is necessary but not sure how far they have gotten yet. I am even hainv a hard time getting my youngest son to go in and get tested and some because he is not sure his insurance will cover it, I told him that he needs to call and get it pre-authorized by telling them about his brother but even then of course depending on the insurance they may not pre-authorize it. It is quite frustrating.
    Linda