New weapons coming. This battle WILL be won someday

Options
imagineit2010
imagineit2010 Member Posts: 152 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Article on new technology in the works. http://www.technewsworld.com/story/Nanobots-Flip-Off-Cancer-Switch-in-Cells-69597.html?wlc=1271949837
It is proven to work but now the testing will drag it out for years. Someone has to lobby the government to QUIT trying to "protect" us from technology. There are numerous methods of fighting cancer that languish in "trials" to be sure they wont harm patients when they could be saving or prolonging lives of people that have nothing to lose. Meanwhile we have toxic chemicals and cell damaging radiation that come with many risks and are approved for everyone. The Kanzius machine is another one. It will cost 12 million dollars to take it through all trial phases of testing then it will still have years of FDA approval testing. Something has to change. How many tens of thousands of people have to die while there are viable treatment options waiting approval. It makes me sick. The ACS has access to hundreds of millions of dollars but does little to promote real treatment options. Cancer patients need a REAL advocate in their corner. When will it change???

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    When?
    Probably when politics and beauracracy get out of the way...

We're all "clinical trials" in progress anyway it seems - we are the test subjects - we're the actual statistics that we tell everyone not to pay attention to - they are "practicing medicine" with us. From us, protocols are born and administered to the masses, but always there has to be a first - with a new treatment or a new surgical technique or something...the path has to be cleared by someone willing to step out.

Having options out there available but not accessing them is very frustrating. I'm sure there are folks who would take a chance with some of this new stuff instead of waiting for the opportunity that might not come...

The issue is not so much that we have Cancer - but how to turn it off when we do get it - I do believe that's where the future of medicine should be heading. There's so much environmental toxicity in the world - the air we breathe, the water we drink etc.etc. that it may not be possible to create perfect human beings, whose cells never malform.

Given the amount of pollutants in our environment, this is probably not too realistic - we have to clean up our act (the planet) in order for this to unfold. So, in the meantime, the real issue is how do we deal with the cell(s) that have gone bad. And how do we do that while not harming the "host" any more than we have to.

It's a funny thing about FDA approval, isn't it? Go to your health food store and see all the products out there that have no FDA approval, but are being sold to the consumer at their own risk.

I would think that if viable treatments were there, we could sign up for those if we wished to participate - this would give some of us with seeminly little options, a good chance at extending their lives and improving their situations.

But always $$$ and political agendas stand in the way...for many of us that could be too late. For those in the future, I hope that some of this comes to fruition.

Give us a choice - and we'll make the best decision that we can.

-Craig
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Whew.

Re:
    "Now that a delivery platform has been established, Yen said,
    researchers need not stop at delivering agents that interfere
    with cell growth. They can also develop ways to repair the
    cellular damage caused by aging."

That's a bit scary, isn't it? Tampering with mom nature, just because
    we can?

There are natural things that can interfere with a cancer cell's ability
    to survive, yet we are turned to high priced industrial manufactured
    compounds to do the job.....

Yup. Progress. I wonder if Toyota Inc., has any plans to enter this
    lucrative field? They're about as honest and forthcoming as Merck, et al..