mastectomy w/reconstruction or just mastectomy

Options
heidijez
heidijez Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am just curious how many of you out there chose not to have reconstruction at the time of your mastectomy. Did you not want to do it? Was there a medical reason not to have it done at the same time? Or did you think you would do reconstruction later and then change your mind?

I wanted to do it all at once, but was informed that due to my rheumatoid arthritis, that is not a possibility. Radiation onc says it's due to scarring. I am concerned that I will not want to have another surgery at a later date.

I have talked to several women I know who have conquered breast cancer, and the ones who were able to do reconstruction right away did it. The ones who for whatever reason did not, never went back.

Any advice for me?

Thanks, Heidi

Comments

• Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    RA
    I wonder what RA has to do with it? I have RA and had a double mastectomy with reconstruction in Dec. The only problem I had was with healing and had to go back for more surgery to cut away the necrotic tissue. The doc did warn me that if I had the problem again there wouldn't be enough skin left to use and I would have to have the expanders taken out. Thankfully, I healed properly the second time...

Best,
    Dot

PS: I am glad that I did the reconstruction...
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    Options
    Dot53 said:

RA
    I wonder what RA has to do with it? I have RA and had a double mastectomy with reconstruction in Dec. The only problem I had was with healing and had to go back for more surgery to cut away the necrotic tissue. The doc did warn me that if I had the problem again there wouldn't be enough skin left to use and I would have to have the expanders taken out. Thankfully, I healed properly the second time...

Best,
    Dot

PS: I am glad that I did the reconstruction...

maybe it's because of the
    maybe it's because of the type of cancer I have (inflammatory breast cancer)? did you have radiation before or after your surgery? I am supposed to have surgery first.
  • canoegirl
    canoegirl Member Posts: 169
    Options
    I'm having "delayed"
    I'm having "delayed" reconstruction after mastectomy because there was a chance that I would need radiation. Turns out that I DO need radiation, so I guess it was worth waiting. I did have a tissue expander put in and plan on having a DIEP flap reconstruction 6-7 months after I finish radiation. Not sure if I'm glad I did the tissue expander or not...the thing is like a rock!

Good luck!
    Marcy
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    heidijez said:

maybe it's because of the type of cancer I have (inflammatory breast cancer)? did you have radiation before or after your surgery? I am supposed to have surgery first.

No
    No.. mine was caught early and no further treatment was necessary..

I'm sure you will hear from others on this site that have been through a similar situation. I wish I could have been more helpful..

Best wishes,
    Dot
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    flat liner
    I chose not to do reconstuction due to side effects from the surgery to remove breast cancer and lymphnodes. Nerve disorders can be the result of surgery and the trauma to body hence having one mastectomy at a time.
    I never could bring myself back to the table after having single mastectomies knowing I wasn't up for more recovery time. Unlike others that skip happily back to work I am left trashed by everything done to me and only because I am some sensative being. I guess we would have found out this before cancer had I ever gone to the doctor for my aches and pains.
    I need to work more than I need new boobs and that time I had a son to provide for something my disability could not do. I worked a very physical job so could not go back to work until physically able to cope with the shift work and heavy lifting and hard work. Ended up having to leave my nice middle income because manufacturing was killing me. Didn't trade the hard work in though went on to get a painting trade as well as Taping Drywall.
    Life goes on and didn't see the need to put myself through more of the same...
    I hope you do what is best for yourself, just as I have done.
    Tara
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    canoegirl said:

I'm having "delayed"
    I'm having "delayed" reconstruction after mastectomy because there was a chance that I would need radiation. Turns out that I DO need radiation, so I guess it was worth waiting. I did have a tissue expander put in and plan on having a DIEP flap reconstruction 6-7 months after I finish radiation. Not sure if I'm glad I did the tissue expander or not...the thing is like a rock!

Good luck!
    Marcy

I had Infllammatory breast
    I had Infllammatory breast cancer and was able to have "delayed"reconstruction. I had an expander put in since i needed radiation after my surgery, i still have not gone in for the final surgery. It is a little more involved than i thought it would be. And i agree with the above post, it is like a rock! take care
  • TawnyS
    TawnyS Member Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My delayed reconstruction
    My delayed reconstruction was the same as canoegirl. Luckily I did not need radiation. I am going in for my expanders May 10th. Eeekks! Just the thought of the healing process again.
  • JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    Options
    I had a double mastectomy
    I had a double mastectomy (prophalactic on the right) and did not have immediate reconstruction. I was so focused on getting the cancer out of me, that I didn't leave time to talk to a Plastic Surgeon. I am almost done with Chemo, no rads, and I am very excited to go see a plastic surgeon next Tuesday.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    heidijez said:

I didn't have a mastectomy,
    I didn't have a mastectomy, but, wanted to wish you good luck with your decision and good luck with whatever surgery you have!